SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no magic bullet for brass bullet casings (pun intendted). :laughing7: They are both high conductors so you just have to deal with it. Using a lower frequency and ID norm off will spread out the TIDs more than high frequency so you can see if you can differentiate the target IDs between the coins and casings that way. The other "trick" would be to use "full tones" to see if the target tone for the elongated casing sounds different or more distorted than a nice symmetric round coin tone (even though the IDs are similar) this is a method some folks use to differentiate between can slaw and gold jewelry. HTH

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just want to cherry pick some of the silver coins from the brass shell casings, you can bump up the discrimination to eliminate most of the brass while still hitting the silver. Won't really do the trick if the brass is sitting too close to the coins.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raising disc too high can affect raw depth and/or TID accuracy. Andy Sabisch does not recommend raising disc higher than 20 or so other folks swear by high disc and say depth is not affected much. I subscribe to the theory that use of any target filter (and disc is a filter that affects the actual target signal) should be minimized. Another option is to use notch if you can spread the TIDs out enough to differentiate them. Notch as implemented on Deus is simply an audio filter and doesn't affect detector depth or ID performance.

Last edited:

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed that the OP made specific mention of the X35 coil so I'll throw in my two cents. Sorry for the bad metal detecting / coin pun! Try this program;

Set ID Norm to Off.

Start with the Deus Fast program and make the following changes;

Set discrimination (DISC) to 7.5
Set sensitivity (SENS) to 94
Set frequency to 25 kHz
Set iron volume (IRON VOL.) to 1
Set audio response (AUDIO RESP.) to 3

Navigate back to discrimination (DISC) and enter the expert menu.

Switch to 4 tones and then enter the expert menu. Set your tone breaks and audio frequencies as follows;

0 – 7.5 120 Hz
7.5 – 75 400 Hz
76 – 92 800 Hz
93 – 99 993 Hz

The reason that I like to use 25 kHz for coin shooting is because with ID norm set to off, high conductors such as copper and silver are "pushed" into the upper limits of the TID range. A wheat penny, for example, should have a TID of around 93. Give this program a try, it has worked really well for me.

OP
OP
sleepyjim

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I was or am being lazy LOL I thought there might be something to try and will do the above asap....I also for got to mention the coins have been so close to the surface, I am amazed, like and inch or 2 at most down.....

Jim

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why people are so paranoid about using a little Notch. Not like you do it all the time but if you have a particularly irritating trash item VDI # notch it down. The idea is to not completely eliminate it just a narrow notch so the trash item breaks up enough for you to recognise it is not a solid target. That might only be one number notched, but keep it narrow whatever. Or maybe two or three narrow notches.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that the OP made specific mention of the X35 coil so I'll throw in my two cents. Sorry for the bad metal detecting / coin pun! Try this program;

Set ID Norm to Off.

Start with the Deus Fast program and make the following changes;

Set discrimination (DISC) to 7.5
Set sensitivity (SENS) to 94
Set frequency to 25 kHz
Set iron volume (IRON VOL.) to 1
Set audio response (AUDIO RESP.) to 3

Navigate back to discrimination (DISC) and enter the expert menu.

Switch to 4 tones and then enter the expert menu. Set your tone breaks and audio frequencies as follows;

0 — 7.5 120 Hz
7.5 — 75 400 Hz
76 — 92 800 Hz
93 — 99 993 Hz

The reason that I like to use 25 kHz for coin shooting is because with ID norm set to off, high conductors such as copper and silver are "pushed" into the upper limits of the TID range. A wheat penny, for example, should have a TID of around 93. Give this program a try, it has worked really well for me.

The reason I recommended a lower frequency is that the offending target (large brass casing) is a high conductor itself (OP said, he was getting "the same signal tone for casings and coins") and lowering frequency would better spread out the high conductive target IDs enabling them to be either "eyeball" notched or electronically notched or to more easily set the tone break with sufficient separation from the desirable high conductive coin targets. Using the high frequency pushes the high conductors closer together at the high end because the maximum target ID is always going to be 99 regardless. This makes it harder to use target ID weeding out methods such as tone breaks, notches, or disc. If we were talking pull tabs, I wouldn't care about frequency as much because there would already be plenty of target ID separation between high conductor and the mid-conductive pull tabs. I generally hunt at 25 - 28 khz depending which coil I am using which usually the HF. The HF on the Deus is always in ID NORM off and on the ORX is always on ID NORM ON (as are all XP coils when using ORX), go figure. I would like the ability to switch it either on or off regardless of coil and machine. Like you I like that all the high conductors are pushed high and ring out.

I don't know why people are so paranoid about using a little Notch. Not like you do it all the time but if you have a particularly irritating trash item VDI # notch it down. The idea is to not completely eliminate it just a narrow notch so the trash item breaks up enough for you to recognise it is not a solid target. That might only be one number notched, but keep it narrow whatever. Or maybe two or three narrow notches.

Agree. It's especially effective if you get into a patch of whatever annoying target you want to eliminate (e.g., identical caliber bullet casings at an obvious fixed firing line, patch of pull tabs around a fire pit that are likely from the same brand of drink so will have a pretty consistent target ID) that you can effectively separate from the desirable targets. You just flip it off if you don't need it any longer.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread