Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been impressed with the Xcal Blues over my Xcal II, but one of the things i need to fix is the rechargable battery. They are 700 NiCAD.... which may not last a full day... especially if you dont drain, use them properly and of course just age. Ive been talking to the people at MAXXPACKS about their two upgraded packs.... the 1500 and 1600. They said the 1500s maybe a bit tight depending on the blue pod i had. I dont know that i will notice the difference between the two as far time in the field use. But they said the 1500 because of their discharge rate could be recharged more times than the 1600. Is anyone using these batteries? What do you think of them?

Dew

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Using / installed several for myself and others. I helped with the development of the replacements. I use the 1500s and when they are tight I CAREFULLY remove the some of the offending shrink wrap. ONLY at the 3 points of contact. One must be careful not to cut all the way down to the metal of the battery. I had on problem at the onset and it was taken care of immediately. In the beginning I used the SunRay SR12 to charge them and then went to the one that MAXXPACKs recommends. As a matter of fact I have one of 3 pods I own charging right now.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WW.... im surprised at the responses ive NOT gotten on these packs. Ive posted this on most of the sites im on ...you are the only person that responded. To me if you have a blue these packs are a must have if you use rechargables.... or at least something like them. Here goes.... ill order one of each and give them a test and see how each holds up and any problems i might have. OBN wanted me to check them before and after hunts as well. Im also interested to see how their chargers work and what they charge these batteries to. I know i can use the ML charger.... and may well be a good option just because its a slower charge since i rotate them.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... got my 1600 mah Maxxpack today. Let me tell you if the 1500s are larger they will never go in a blue xcal pod. The blue pods narrow half way in the tube. I had to cut the plastic off every corner and even then they had to be pushed in. They are TIGHT baby. Love their battery charger thou..... just a couple hours and the pack is charged the green light come on .... yes it has a light.... and then goes to trickle. You can use the ML charger but it takes at least twice the time you normally charge your battery to get it full.... why because they are about twice the capacity. Im going to run them and ill let u know how they perform. Anyone with a blue needs to upgrade their batteries..... with a little age you only get about 5 hours out there. They are 700 mah while these have about twice the capacity.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a little testing. The first thing you notice is they arent warm to the touch once charged. This has to be better for those plastic pods. It could be because they dont have any age on them which requires the charger to work at charging them which makes them warm. The Charger when under load produces about 15 dcv while the ML produces 14.06. This compared to not under load.... around 18 dcv. With most NEW packs on about any detector ive used you get some chatter for the first week or so until the batteries settle down. You can use the ML charger on these, BUT it can take twice as long to charge one because of its capacity. Huge improvement being able to charge in less than a couple of hours and having a light to tell you when its full. Mine charged to 14.46 while the Xcal II battery charges to 14.25. They recommend you allow ANY battery to cool or get to room temp before charging them or they could discharge affecting the recycle life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions