jalgier

Jan 30, 2017
GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ll, XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings all.
I am considering the D2 and have a question. I have a fresh water honey hole that use my Garrett ATP. It does fine with rings and silver, etc, however I know there is more there that I am missing. I was wondering if the D2 picks up fine gold necklaces that my ATP doesn't. I have a much better argument to make to the boss (wife) about the investment if I can grab those fine chains. I already have the Deus (which I love), but grabbing that fine gold could justify the purchase. Thoughts?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Deus 2 will definitely grab those finer chains. I have the AT pro as well as the XP Orx. The AT Pro is 15 kHz which is not bad on small gold but not as good on fine gold and chains. The XP’s have the option to use higher frequencies which will find those fine smaller gold items. I know my Orx hits hard and loud on tiny fine gold, so if you get the Deus 2 you’ll definitely be able to pick up those fine chains the At pro can’t sniff out. I’m looking at purchasing the Deus 2 also but the only thing bad I’m hearing about it is the much shorter battery life on the coil compared to the Orx and Deus 1.

OP
OP
J

jalgier

Jan 30, 2017
GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ll, XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deus 2 will definitely grab those finer chains. I have the AT pro as well as the XP Orx. The AT Pro is 15 kHz which is not bad on small gold but not as good on fine gold and chains. The XP’s have the option to use higher frequencies which will find those fine smaller gold items. I know my Orx hits hard and loud on tiny fine gold, so if you get the Deus 2 you’ll definitely be able to pick up those fine chains the At pro can’t sniff out. I’m looking at purchasing the Deus 2 also but the only thing bad I’m hearing about it is the much shorter battery life on the coil compared to the Orx and Deus 1.
I just got the Deus 2 today and first thing I did was go out and see how it did with a very fine 14k necklace. I found a quiet spot on the lawn and just went through all the pre-loaded programs. Not one of the programs recognized it (and it was essentially coiled up, not laid out lengthwise). I amped up the sensitivity to 99 on the Gold Field program and was able to get a faint hit in 30's. As mentioned, I literally just got it so not much practice with it. I was hoping this was going to be a fine gold jewelry magnet out of the box. I didn't cajigger much with the settings in my old Deus, so I could easily be missing something. If anyone has advice for changing settings, I'm all ears.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the Deus 2 today and first thing I did was go out and see how it did with a very fine 14k necklace. I found a quiet spot on the lawn and just went through all the pre-loaded programs. Not one of the programs recognized it (and it was essentially coiled up, not laid out lengthwise). I amped up the sensitivity to 99 on the Gold Field program and was able to get a faint hit in 30's. As mentioned, I literally just got it so not much practice with it. I was hoping this was going to be a fine gold jewelry magnet out of the box. I didn't cajigger much with the settings in my old Deus, so I could easily be missing something. If anyone has advice for changing settings, I'm all ears.
I have had the same results using a medium thickness 14k gold rope chain with the D2 (12" coil).....not much luck....even balled up......best coil in the Deus series for gold chains is the 9.5" elliptical coil running on 80 Khz......even so....only about 2" to 3" in air tests

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the same results using a medium thickness 14k gold rope chain with the D2 (12" coil).....not much luck....even balled up......best coil in the Deus series for gold chains is the 9.5" elliptical coil running on 80 Khz......even so....only about 2" to 3" in air tests
Bet my GPZ 7000 would find it

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post pictures of your necklaces ? I have friends in Fl that are finding them

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm doing this from memory so I may miss something....

If your test chain is hitting in the low 30s then first of all it is very close to the ferrous/non-ferrous tone break used for most of the stock programs except for Sensitive FT, Goldfield and Relic which are preset for full tones or 1 tone VCO. Also Sensitive, Sensitive FT, Fast and Park all have preset notches near or including the low 30s. So, program 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 (Mono switch frequency to at least 40 kHz) and 8 Goldfield should be able to at least hit the clasps on that chain if you make sure that Notch is OFF in programs 2, 3 and 4 and if you use Full or Pitch tones. Also, try to at least do a noise cancel. Lots of EMI likes to interfere in the low conductor target ID range from 25 to 65 or so at least in my yard.

How deep Deus 2 can hit a chain like that is another story entirely. At least in my testing and experience, the weakest part of Deus 2 performance wise is sensitivity to really small low conductor targets like the one you are trying to hit.

Last edited:

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites Surf Dual Field, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus2
Finding the chains is an important goal, I'm working on it too. The deus 1 with HF coil was great for this purpose. I haven't found the right settings for deus 2 yet. I also hunt in fresh water. What I have realized in the last few weeks is that it is very important to learn the selection between trash and good goals. I have already found quite a few small earrings between TID 40-50, but the chains can come in an even lower range based on the tests. Up to 25 values. I don't think beach sens is suitable for this. Sensitive Full tone might be better, I'm currently trying that. Deus mono gives too many false signals.
For $9000 I hope it would......also the rope chain looks like any other rope chain on Google

Tbone1

Jul 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Timmy. Have the D2 and really happy with it.
Have the D1 as well but never used it that much before i bought the D2. Now I want to take it back it out with the HF coil and search back over turf I've been hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread