cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can afford to keep the Deus and still buy the Nox, do it. They complement each other very well. If not, why do you think you need the Nox instead of the Deus? Salt water hunting?

wyohunter99

May 22, 2010
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Ctx & Deus
I wouldn’t do it but that’s just me… I think there is very little if anything the Nox will see that the Deus won’t…

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a 800 and I hunt relics. I asked a very trusted source on this forum if I also should buy an XP Deus. He basically said they both pretty much do the same thing. So have one or the other is ok. Learning curve for you coming from the XP Deus should not be too difficult in my opinion.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can afford to keep the Deus and still buy the Nox, do it. They complement each other very well. If not, why do you think you need the Nox instead of the Deus? Salt water hunting?
This is EXACTLY it! I own both and I would hate to give up either one. Each machine has its time to shine. In my opinion, as a proud owner of both machines, is that the only thing the Deus is missing is Minelab's Multi-Q technology. Otherwise, it is a much better machine in just about every way (again... this is MY opinion. Yours may vary)

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 800 and I hunt relics. I asked a very trusted source on this forum if I also should buy an XP Deus. He basically said they both pretty much do the same thing. So have one or the other is ok. Learning curve for you coming from the XP Deus should not be too difficult in my opinion.
You were told wrong. I mean, yeah... you can find stuff... good stuff... with either, and in any situation. I can also drive a screw with a hammer.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You were told wrong. I mean, yeah... you can find stuff... good stuff... with either, and in any situation. I can also drive a screw with a hammer.
I think more correctly I was misinterpreted because I don’t give wrong advice. ;)

The context of the advice is important. Felix asked if it was worth the trip to sell the 800 and get a Deus as he was frustrated with his lack of quality finds. What I said is that 1) Deus is my preferred relic machine for several reasons but primarily because of its ergonomics, performance in iron and high mineralization soil (which defines the conditions in which I most frequently hunt), and expressive audio. 2) I was pretty clear in saying that I thought the Equinox and Deus complimented each other because the Deus excelled at things the Equinox didn’t and vice versa. They both have high versatility. That makes it hard to choose a clear favorite, I will use whichever of the two is best suited to the conditions at hand. I can afford to own both, so I do. I think an experienced detectorist can be successful at a productive non-salt-beach site (Equinox rules over Deus in salt water and wet salt sand) with EITHER detector. 3) Finally, what I told Felix is that if he dumped the Equinox and went with the Deus that it would not result in a step change increase in finds over the Equinox based on what I knew about Felix site conditions and target prospects, so it was not worth the trip to trade one for the other in his specific case, especially when you factor in the significant price delta between Deus and Equinox.

At the time I was providing my recommendations, the Nox 5x10 coil was not in existence. It is truly a game changer and under certain high target density circumstances closes the ergonomics, target separation, and iron performance gaps between the two detectors.

None of the above should be interpreted to mean “they pretty much do the same thing”. That is a gross, blanket over simplification of a complex “it depends” subject. Context and situation specific details matter in regards to when one should be chosen over the other for the task at hand.

Bottom line, I recommend owning both if you can afford to and have to detect sites with widely varying conditions and target types because owning both pretty much covers all the bases. I don’t really think it is worth the trip to sell or trade one for the other unless you only detect in situations that favor one over the other (e.g., exclusively salt beach hunt, you are better off with Equinox, exclusively hunt highly mineralized high iron sites, then Deus May give you the edge.)

Hope that sets the record straight and helps the OP and anyone pondering trading or selling one for the other.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people complained about the Nox being heavy and hurting their shoulder.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"None of the above should be interpreted to mean “they pretty much do the same thing”. That is a gross, blanket over simplification of a complex “it depends” subject. Context and situation specific details matter in regards to when one should be chosen over the other for the task at hand."

well guilty as charged. Don't wish to misquote anyone especially vferrari. Was going from a faulty memory, should have researched his original post on this matter. Sorry folks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people complained about the Nox being heavy and hurting their shoulder.
The Deus is slightly lighter, but, unlikely to make that much of a difference depending on the coil you use. If you have a sketchy shoulder, use a sling or get one of Steve's detecting rods with a counterweight if you find it's too nose heavy with the larger coils.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another problem is water leakage. Probably best not to use it in water if the waranty has expired.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"None of the above should be interpreted to mean “they pretty much do the same thing”. That is a gross, blanket over simplification of a complex “it depends” subject. Context and situation specific details matter in regards to when one should be chosen over the other for the task at hand."

well guilty as charged. Don't wish to misquote anyone especially vferrari. Was going from a faulty memory, should have researched his original post on this matter. Sorry folks.
You’re not guilty of anything significant - I simply wanted to point out that saying that switching between Deus and Equinox will not significantly change your finds count/quality over the long haul should not be interpreted as meaning they do the same thing. It is a nuanced but important point. Like I said, you can be successful with either of those excellent detectors under most situations. However, there are some specific situations where Deus will outperform Equinox and vice versa. That is what tells you that they don’t simply do the same thing and why having both detectors in your arsenal, if possible, can give you an edge.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think more correctly I was misinterpreted because I don’t give wrong advice. ;)

The context of the advice is important. Felix asked if it was worth the trip to sell the 800 and get a Deus as he was frustrated with his lack of quality finds. What I said is that 1) Deus is my preferred relic machine for several reasons but primarily because of its ergonomics, performance in iron and high mineralization soil (which defines the conditions in which I most frequently hunt), and expressive audio. 2) I was pretty clear in saying that I thought the Equinox and Deus complimented each other because the Deus excelled at things the Equinox didn’t and vice versa. They both have high versatility. That makes it hard to choose a clear favorite, I will use whichever of the two is best suited to the conditions at hand. I can afford to own both, so I do. I think an experienced detectorist can be successful at a productive non-salt-beach site (Equinox rules over Deus in salt water and wet salt sand) with EITHER detector. 3) Finally, what I told Felix is that if he dumped the Equinox and went with the Deus that it would not result in a step change increase in finds over the Equinox based on what I knew about Felix site conditions and target prospects, so it was not worth the trip to trade one for the other in his specific case, especially when you factor in the significant price delta between Deus and Equinox.

At the time I was providing my recommendations, the Nox 5x10 coil was not in existence. It is truly a game changer and under certain high target density circumstances closes the ergonomics, target separation, and iron performance gaps between the two detectors.

None of the above should be interpreted to mean “they pretty much do the same thing”. That is a gross, blanket over simplification of a complex “it depends” subject. Context and situation specific details matter in regards to when one should be chosen over the other for the task at hand.

Bottom line, I recommend owning both if you can afford to and have to detect sites with widely varying conditions and target types because owning both pretty much covers all the bases. I don’t really think it is worth the trip to sell or trade one for the other unless you only detect in situations that favor one over the other (e.g., exclusively salt beach hunt, you are better off with Equinox, exclusively hunt highly mineralized high iron sites, then Deus May give you the edge.)

Hope that sets the record straight and helps the OP and anyone pondering trading or selling one for the other.
That sounds like exactly the advice that I would have given (although, as usual, worded much better!) I also own and use both detectors, and recently managed to convince my detecting partner to add a Deus to her arsenal (Equinox 800).

Thanks for the clarification. If I had known said advice had come from you, I probably would have interpreted that post much differently.

Sounds like I really do need to get my name on the 5x10 coil waiting list, huh?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is what tells you that they don’t simply do the same thing and why having both detectors in your arsenal, if possible, can give you an edge.
Very good info here. If I find a really good producing spot I hit the spot with one machine several times then switch machines. It doesn't matter which direction you go you'll always find more.

The XP DEUS and Minelab Equinox 800 complement each other very well. When you hit an area with those two machines with the different coil combinations you've really done something. However, no side is ever completely cleaned out.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, but mostly use the XP, My hunting partner has the Nox 800 and does not have the XP, after two years hunting and swapping signals, I can tell you that the Nox does in fact go deeper than the XP. I say this because there have been targets he gets that he says are coins, and even though I might "hear" it in the ground, I know I would never have dug that target, or its so weak as for me to question if I would have gotten it if I had walked over it... but on the NOX it sounded good. These are rare and I won't break my Nox 800 out because of this. I use the elliptical coil in 74KH (high freq) on my DEUS, and the advantages I think are a lot. My machine will pick up ANYTHING in a playground and I have consistently dug things like small gold chains, bracelets and ear-rings, small gold charms, etc. I have not really found any target the XP can't pick up in this set up... but my friend says he will not dig targets like that, and small chains the Nox won't pick up IN THE MODE HE USES... (it will if he adjusts the mode)
I have found the XP to be superior for coins and jewelry in playgrounds and ballfields and probably would do well in relic and field hunting... But in the wet salt water sand it has a lot of noise issues that the NOX does not...
So depends on what you want... If you mainly hunt Salt water beaches I would go with the NOX, if you hunt schools and playgrounds and ballfields.. I would do the Deus...
My two cents..
Thanks

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both, but mostly use the XP, My hunting partner has the Nox 800 and does not have the XP, after two years hunting and swapping signals, I can tell you that the Nox does in fact go deeper than the XP. I say this because there have been targets he gets that he says are coins, and even though I might "hear" it in the ground, I know I would never have dug that target, or its so weak as for me to question if I would have gotten it if I had walked over it... but on the NOX it sounded good. These are rare and I won't break my Nox 800 out because of this. I use the elliptical coil in 74KH (high freq) on my DEUS, and the advantages I think are a lot. My machine will pick up ANYTHING in a playground and I have consistently dug things like small gold chains, bracelets and ear-rings, small gold charms, etc. I have not really found any target the XP can't pick up in this set up... but my friend says he will not dig targets like that, and small chains the Nox won't pick up IN THE MODE HE USES... (it will if he adjusts the mode)
I have found the XP to be superior for coins and jewelry in playgrounds and ballfields and probably would do well in relic and field hunting... But in the wet salt water sand it has a lot of noise issues that the NOX does not...
So depends on what you want... If you mainly hunt Salt water beaches I would go with the NOX, if you hunt schools and playgrounds and ballfields.. I would do the Deus...
My two cents..
Thanks
Were you two on equivalent frequencies, recovery/reactivity rates, sensitivity, ground balance, and other settings that affect depth? I own both machines, and to be honest, I have no idea what are equivalent settings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread