XP Deus II Tricks and Tips

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I owned the original Deus for over 5 years and in the last month been using the Dues II. I have built two programs using the General program - one program with a lower reactivity and higher sensitivity for hitting deep and another with a lower sensitivity and higher reactivity when i hit patches of iron. I would like to learn more about what other users are discovering about this machine which would not only help me with the learning curve but also help other new users out. God bless you all!

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't really have much positive to say about the machine other than its excellent egronomics. My observations about the machine will be negative, but honest. Perhaps others can chime in with workarounds, or perhaps my machine is simply a lemon. It has a very low serial number, so you never know.

* I find, that on program 6, which I almost exclusively use, pull tabs have a higher TID than some wheaties. Pull tabs sound like very good targets, and I dig a ton of them, unlike with my E-Trac, where I can tell the difference between a pulltab and a wheatie.

* I find the battery life of the coil (11 inch) when using program 6 to be about 6 hours or so. The manual says 8. Either way, not enough time if you want to spend the whole day hunting a field, like I do sometimes. My tests were done in cold weather, which will shorten the charge life, but still ...

* I also created custom programs, but then did a software update that deleted them. The software did not warn me that they would be deleted, and even if it did, I find that the prospect of software updates deleting my programs a factor that will make the machine useless for me in the long run, as I am too lazy to key them in from scratch every time.

* I find no depth advantage on silver coins over an FBS machine such as the E-Trac. Alot of hypesters here and elsewhere showing coins being dug in their test gardens and fields at absurd depths. I've never seen these results even close to being repeated or reported in the wild, especially in mineralized dirt like we have around here. The hypesters who have gotten free machines from XP, then posted these unrepeatable results, have taken a huge reputational hit, and it is deserved, IMO. On one forum they are a laughingstock. Watch videos from those who have gotten free machines and point out none of the negatives at your own risk ...

I'm sorry to be so negative, but these are my material results. I hope XP fixes what they can, and I hope you have better luck with your machine.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will buy your Deus II .....P.M me.....My buddy wants one.
Have you got your sales receipt? So let me get this straight...Your too lazy to reenter your programs after a update by your own words.....
Makes me wonder how much effort you put forth to learn the unit.....I am suspecting you are including me in the hypesters comments...
I will help you ease the pain if we can come to a price on the Deus II....

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you got your sales receipt? So let me get this straight...Your too lazy to reenter your programs after a update by your own words.....
Makes me wonder how much effort you put forth to learn the unit.....I am suspecting you are including me in the hypesters comments...
I will help you ease the pain if we can come to a price on the Deus II....
CD. This is off topic but I was wondering how the heck I get my D2 back to standard time from military time on the clock? It was set correctly before and I remember it was simple to do but my early onset has crept in once again! Lol.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol that is one area of the detector I have not messed with

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont like a clock when detecting..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't bothered to set the clock on mine yet. Mine has done very well. One day I may set a notch for bottle caps, maybe, maybe not.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a heads up. From what I hear there is no 12hr format yet. Xp is hearing the want for this....I guess.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you DigDug216 for your honest evaluation of the Deus 2 detector.
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and one detector is not going to be THE detector for everyone. Personaly I like the Deus and have bought the new Deus 2. I mostly hunt salt water beaches and the older Deus was a bit lacking there. The new Multi-Freq should make it the nuts for me. The E-track, and other Minelab multi-freq detectors have been my go to beach machines in the past.
Calabash Digger has posted a lot of great information and videos about using the Deus 2 on the beach and I thank him for sharing as well. it will get me up to speed very quickly.
Thanks again for sharing information and happy hunting to ya.

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will help you ease the pain if we can come to a price on the Deus I

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started burying coins a few weeks ago to make a test garden.

My equinox and Deus 2 struggle with 6" seated dime and 8"walker 1/2.

The equinox hits the 1/2 with great silver tone running Field 1 reactivity 4, sensitivity 20. That same setting mostly identifies the dime as iron.

I have the 9" coil on the XPD2. To hit those 2 targets in my soil I use Deep HC, reactivity 1, sensitivity 95, silencer 0, audio response 5. I reduced discrim to the max. This setting is hitting the dime better than my Nox with the setting noted above. The setting above is what I typically hunt with in non trashy environments when using the equinox. I always hunt full metal mode.

It's taking time to figure out what does and doesn't work in my hot soil.

0-4" XPD2 is great in factory presets where I live. To get more depth I'm testing out settings.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just started burying coins a few weeks ago to make a test garden.

My equinox and Deus 2 struggle with 6" seated dime and 8"walker 1/2.

The equinox hits the 1/2 with great silver tone running Field 1 reactivity 4, sensitivity 20. That same setting mostly identifies the dime as iron.

I have the 9" coil on the XPD2. To hit those 2 targets in my soil I use Deep HC, reactivity 1, sensitivity 95, silencer 0, audio response 5. I reduced discrim to the max. This setting is hitting the dime better than my Nox with the setting noted above. The setting above is what I typically hunt with in non trashy environments when using the equinox. I always hunt full metal mode.

It's taking time to figure out what does and doesn't work in my hot soil.

0-4" XPD2 is great in factory presets where I live. To get more depth I'm testing out settings.
I don't think that you can compare the Nox on Recovery (aka reactivity) of 4 with the Deus reactivity at 1, though. The Deus is fast, but not THAT fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread