XP Orx Top 7 beach detectors.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
For anyone who says the Orx is not a beach detector. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604956274.459166.jpg I used the Orx on the beach and in the water this whole summer and made some great finds. While some say it’s not a dedicated beach machine and I don’t think XP’s intentions were to make it one but the Orx is awesome on the beach. My At pro is now my back up beach machine.

Upvote 0

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No offense intended. However, that list is missing a few giants...

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irishgoldhound,,,glad to hear the Orx is running good,,,coming home with great finds is always rewarding

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the fact that the Excalibur isn't even in the top 7 makes that list suspect... But not downing the Orx at all, glad you are enjoying it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me question who did the reviews.....No CTX, No Etrac, No Excalibur, No Sovereign, No Explorer, No, Safari, No Dual Field, etc........

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Makes me question who did the reviews.....No CTX, No Etrac, No Excalibur, No Sovereign, No Explorer, No, Safari, No Dual Field, etc........

I know those are supposed to be the “big dogs” of the beach but those big dogs are starting to become old dogs. Slow recovery, heavy, not upgradable (not the CTX),..too expensive when you can buy something cheaper just as good or better.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have one on the list, but, I've used (and sold off) two of the others. An AT Max on the list for hunting a salt water beach?.....please.... The V3i isn't much better. The PI machines have a place, mainly on a beach without much iron junk, but, I'd put them farther down the list if you need discrimination.

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I only have one on the list, but, I've used (and sold off) two of the others. An AT Max on the list for hunting a salt water beach?.....please.... The V3i isn't much better. The PI machines have a place, mainly on a beach without much iron junk, but, I'd put them farther down the list if you need discrimination.

Did you negative ground balance your AT max in the salt water? You have to do more than just ground balance it, you have to negatively ground balance it in salt water and wet salt sand, just like the AT Pro, it’ll run way smoother.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If you look a little deeper in to techmetalsresearch.com you will see Mr Simon is about making money by using Amazon and possibly others.... By the way it looks if you purchase something from his web pages he makes a profit. Which I suspect has greatly influenced his choices. "TechMetalsResearch.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program and as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases." Therefore the lists and recommendations provided I would take with a grain of salt.. Other then the Minelab Nox.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yep, i'm gonna come out and say it...that list sucks. No disrespect Irishgoldhound..

Hi cudamark I see you and a couple of other guys have the new Fisher AQ, what are your thoughts and have you used it long enough to give an in depth analysis?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, i'm gonna come out and say it...that list sucks. No disrespect Irishgoldhound..

Hi cudamark I see you and a couple of other guys have the new Fisher AQ, what are your thoughts and have you used it long enough to give an in depth analysis?

I'm still playing with mine, so, the jury is still out. So far, not a big fan, but, I need to put in more hours before I decide if it's something I want to use or not. I've used a few PI machines before and didn't particularly care for them. I just spent too much time digging iron junk. I figured this would be better because it's supposed to have some discrimination, but, so far, I haven't found it to be reliable enough to ignore "bad" signals. Still, if it will find gold deeper than any other machine, that's pretty much what I bought it for. So far, I haven't found any good target that my other machines wouldn't have found. Deep iron, sure, it finds that junk 2 feet down, but, that's not what I'm looking for. The lower clevis just broke a few days ago, so, it's down at the moment until the new one arrives. Also, the factory battery life sucks. Fisher says it will get 3 1/2 hours on a charge, which is kinda pitiful this day and age, but, I knew that from the start and could live with it......if it actually got that. The problem is, I haven't even got 3 hours of use time yet, even though the battery has been cycled many times now. I did manage to get a custom long life battery for it, and it's sitting here waiting to go on it's maiden voyage as soon as the lower shaft gets here.

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first bought the AT Max, and found it finicky at the beach. I then bought the Nox 800 and it performs extremely well in the surf.. then the ORX for no particular reason, works very well at the beach, but not as smooth and consistent as the Nox. The others, I know nothing, all I can say is on my limited experience with those three, the Nox wins, ORX second, and the AT Max stays in the trunk when I'm at the beach.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still playing with mine, so, the jury is still out. So far, not a big fan, but, I need to put in more hours before I decide if it's something I want to use or not. I've used a few PI machines before and didn't particularly care for them. I just spent too much time digging iron junk. I figured this would be better because it's supposed to have some discrimination, but, so far, I haven't found it to be reliable enough to ignore "bad" signals. Still, if it will find gold deeper than any other machine, that's pretty much what I bought it for. So far, I haven't found any good target that my other machines wouldn't have found. Deep iron, sure, it finds that junk 2 feet down, but, that's not what I'm looking for. The lower clevis just broke a few days ago, so, it's down at the moment until the new one arrives. Also, the factory battery life sucks. Fisher says it will get 3 1/2 hours on a charge, which is kinda pitiful this day and age, but, I knew that from the start and could live with it......if it actually got that. The problem is, I haven't even got 3 hours of use time yet, even though the battery has been cycled many times now. I did manage to get a custom long life battery for it, and it's sitting here waiting to go on it's maiden voyage as soon as the lower shaft gets here.

wow, not what I was expecting to hear considering how much time this machine was in the making. I have been following this machine's progress for quite a while. Keep us up to date with your findings and good hunting buddy.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got the replacement lower shaft and clevis today. I pleased to see that the new shaft is longer than the original. That was a slight shortcoming I thought. No way to see if the new clevis is solid or just thicker plastic. Maybe I could have looked down the shaft with a good light or inspection camera, but, I didn't think about doing that until I already had it mounted on the detector. I hope to get out soon and give it a good test drive now that it's fixed and I have a good replacement battery to use.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 that id place on that list..... starting with the Tarascci MDT..... the Nox.... and the Xcal. But i mostly wet sand and water hunt...... sounds like this guy DRY sand hunts mostly. Some of the machines that do well dry sand hunting ... in some ways can be as time consuming as a PI in the water with all the tiny foil or some style of bottle caps.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread