Yale Lock found but is it an early one?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out detecting for a few hours this morning and the only find worth mentioning was this cute little lock which I believe is a One Inch Model. I am not sure how lock companies measured them but they sold them as 1 inch 3 inch and so forth.....

I could not make out much on the lock without cleaning it so I took some steel wool to it and almost all of the writing is now visible. I wondered how old this Yale Lock might be and did a bit of googling and I really am not sure. The area found could have it be a very early lock or more likely 1918 era one, since it is close to a large area that was active during the WWI war.

However, after being able to read the Patent Dates on it(1876 & 1877) and knowing there were later locks with Patent Dates of the 1890's, I kind of feel it might be an earlier Yale Lock, rather than 20th Century, but just do not know .

I took as many photos of the lock and hope there is enough information there to narrow down the time frame, either way, it is another nice lock for my display case.

I got nowhere in researching the association between Ashworth Bros. Manchester that is stamped on the bottom. Maybe they were the distributor of the lock?

The company name at the top says YALE LOCK MFG CO not YALE & TOWNE, which was on many of the locks, if that helps.......

Don

Attachments

• Antique Yale Lock reduced.jpg
    Antique Yale Lock reduced.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 2,717
  • size comparison.jpg
    size comparison.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,575
Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Have you done the peroxide method on it yet? :D

Whatever time period it is from, it is still an ancient relic dropped by one of our ancestas. :D Great relic indeed, Don.

Bone Dry Detecting...KylePa :D

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don did you search eBay ?..I've identified locks I dug for sale on there

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Derek752 said:
Don did you search eBay ?..I've identified locks I dug for sale on there

There is an identical lock on e-bay but I believe the individual is using the patent dates to give the age of it, and I believe that is not necessarily correct. The one on ebay says it is an 1870's lock. (Not exactly good reference material in my opnion)

Item number: 230201784148

Don

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the "inch" size could be the size of the "shackle" Don,most of the time's a padlock's size was determined by this....Cool find though,can't put a date on it.Happy Holiday's and HH!!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lock don i didnt know Yale was that old....aa

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lock! And it's in great shape.
The ones I've found don't look near that good.
WTG!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Nice find Don. I always like finding locks but most of mine are in very bad shape.

Badger

Me too MB.

Congrats Don. Great looking old lock.
-MM-

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lock!

I found a very similar one this summer at an old school dating as far back as the turn of the century, but before that it was a huge estate, so who knows. Mine says "Yale & Towne Mfg Co" on one side and "Stamford, Conn, USA" on the other. Nothing on the bottom/keyhole side.

Anyway, I've attached pics. Let me know if you find out anything interesting about yours!

Cheers and HH,
Bman

Attachments

• Lock01.jpg
    Lock01.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,355
  • Lock02.jpg
    Lock02.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 972
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bman and Stormtrooper, thanks for posting yours, I see both of them say YALE & TOWNE MFG and not just Yale Lock Mfg, and Bman, thanks for posting the other side, which appears also not to have those patent dates on it.

So, I am sure one is an earlier version of the lock, just not sure which one. :)

Locks make nice display cabinet items.

Don

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The name Yale Lock Mfg. Co. was used from 1868 to 1883 (some sources say 1881), followed by Yale & Towne Mfg. Co.

So, along with the patent dates on your lock (which I believe is a variety of the Yale #800 series), that would indicate a fairly narrow date range of 1877-83. Split the difference and call it c. 1880.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
The name Yale Lock Mfg. Co. was used from 1868 to 1883 (some sources say 1881), followed by Yale & Towne Mfg. Co.

So, along with the patent dates on your lock (which I believe is a variety of the Yale #800 series), that would indicate a fairly narrow date range of 1877-83. Split the difference and call it c. 1880.

Thanks PBK

Perhaps the Ashworth Bros on the bottom of the lock were the distributors.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
PBK said:

As Don would probably state, "Too new. LOL" :D Gotcha ya, Don! ;)

What is the weather like in SJ?

BDD...Kirk

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
So When I said I could see 1878 feb I wasnt just seeing things omg what a relief

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread