Yale Saville lock, how old?

Flatwoods88

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to metal detecting and I had a chance to do some hunting yesterday at some old homesites in the woods, found this brass lock and I have looked all over the internet trying to date it with no luck. Found one on eBay like mine but no date or pat. number. The only number I see on this lock is 13 on the loop. Any info is appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 145

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The yale lock company started around 1840, your lock seems to be an early one with it having a lack of markings. I would estimate it to be between 1840 and 1900. You could contact yale directly to find out more info. also it seems the pin and tumbler design was patented in 1850 by the son, so maybe this lock is earlier than that or existing run from shortly after that(this lock is not pin and tumbler).

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this seems to be a pretty rare yale, cant find much on it. Thinking its pre 1870 ?

OP
OP
Flatwoods88

Flatwoods88

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, the one picture I found online was an eBay post and it said very rare. I'll contact Yale to see if I can get any more info, didn't even think of doing that

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, the one picture I found online was an eBay post and it said very rare. I'll contact Yale to see if I can get any more info, didn't even think of doing that

let me know what you find out. Im interested that I had such trouble locating it.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not as old as you might think. This same design was still being used until at least 1908, and I'm pretty sure into the teens. Most of the locks with this design aren't terribly valuable. However, I'm not familiar with the SAVILLE logo and some times a rare logo can make a huge difference. Often times lock manufacturers were contracted by hardware companies to have their name or logo put on the lock. Other companies also, for instance, Winchester did the same. They didn't manufacture locks themselves. Hope you figure it out.

ndaklic

Jan 3, 2024
New to metal detecting and I had a chance to do some hunting yesterday at some old homesites in the woods, found this brass lock and I have looked all over the internet trying to date it with no luck. Found one on eBay like mine but no date or pat. number. The only number I see on this lock is 13 on the loop. Any info is appreciated.
Im in Mississippi and i just found a lock identical to yours mine is #14 just curious to what state you found yours in. And curious to the value of it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread