Yankee copper

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1762 deplorable invaders from the north(east) claimed my area as there own . These "Yankees" from Connecticut jumped over New York and set up shop in northeastern PA. What followed were many horrible acts now remembered as "The Yankee - Pennamite War".
With this history i always figured my chances of finding a Connecticut copper were pretty good and today was the day. Revisiting my best permission for at least the 20th time has proved fruitful.
100_1908.JPG 100_1909.JPG

Not much but enough there to know what it is .HH and thank you all for looking! If anyone sees anything that can point to what variety it is I'd appreciate it

Upvote 14

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Wyoming Valley Relics
Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd feel better about this post if you could clean it up enough to make out a date.

I wish i could. i took a tooth pic to it and nothing came off. Nothing there is dirt , its all corrosion . any tips would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Wyoming Valley Relics
Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thing i noticed , after CONNEC there looks to be a 6 pointed star with no other dots. Every example i've seen has dots or 5 pointed stars after CONNEC . possible counterfeit ?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish i could. i took a tooth pic to it and nothing came off. Nothing there is dirt , its all corrosion . any tips would be appreciated.

Looks like an excellent candidate for a hydrogen peroxide soak and some brushing or finger rubbing.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thing i noticed , after CONNEC there looks to be a 6 pointed star with no other dots. Every example i've seen has dots or 5 pointed stars after CONNEC . possible counterfeit ?

There is counterfeit CT coppers, but it's most likely genuine and you just need to reveal more detail to confirm an ID.

OP
OP
Wyoming Valley Relics
Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid . I use peroxide cleaning but to me this one looks like what detail there is will just flake away . the more i look at it the bust isn't corroded, it's just slicked down to nothing, in the bottom right you can see part of a shoulder . Same thing with the date . theres enough not corroded that you should see something there but all i see is smooth coin.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid . I use peroxide cleaning but to me this one looks like what detail there is will just flake away . the more i look at it the bust isn't corroded, it's just slicked down to nothing, in the bottom right you can see part of a shoulder . Same thing with the date . theres enough not corroded that you should see something there but all i see is smooth coin.

I tend to disagree peroxide would cause much harm, but you are the one seeing it in person... and of course it's your coin. The question is... would the peroxide soak be a net gain or a net loss for the over all condition. Based on what I see suggests a gain, but again you have to make that decision yourself. The reason I think it will hold up fine is the metal looks very good, mostly corrosion free. The coins that tend to have the serious flaking issues are much worse, usually covered in corrosion.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find! Looks like IP has a good ID on that beaut.
Congrats

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice pre-United States copper coin! George Washington would have been relaxing at Mount Vernon the year this coin was minted passing his time exporting tobacco to England and importing luxuries for himself and Martha. :occasion14:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin though it does have a strange wear pattern. There's good relief in some places and worn slick in others. Congrats

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the state copper. Good luck with getting and ID.

John

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As IP stated, definitely not one of the varieties in the links, but should be enough detail to nail it down with a little patience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread