Years Of Experience Collecting Native American Artifacts

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 10

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At the age three ,i sorta, kinda found my first point with the help of my aunt leading me by the hand, thats been in 1973 if my math is right . 49 years

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think around 1976 I realized that there were signs of prehistoric camps at every old site I dug in around Galveston Bay. I was always Looking for the homesites of Laffite's captains after he left the area in 1822. Under those occupations Were Native American camps. Then I realized the white and Hispanic settlers took over the most prized real estate that the Native Americans had settled on for thousands of years before them. I found my first arrow tips and dart tips in 1976 while excavating Arsene La' Tour's (aka John Williams) homesite on Clear Creek off of Galveston Bay.
I began going on commercial artifact digs as well as walking and surface hunting as life and time allowed. I built shaking tables and even a motorized one on a trailer. I also picked back up my metal detecting which I had let lapse for years.
In my retired years ( since 2019) I started participating in Texas Archaeology Society projects and yearly Field Schools, and with the Houston Archaeology Society on localized prehistoric and historic projects.
Together with the metal detecting and archaeology methodology I enjoy and make the most of my hobby time
I still do the lone wolf thing and hunt the West Texas Desert and rangeland when my physical abilities allow for it.

Tracey845

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2022
Thread is for information only, trying to get total years experience of forum.

How many years experience collecting Native American artifacts do you have?

I will start off, I started collecting in 1981 when I found my first point in a corn field.

Please end post with total years.

39 years.
I have been collecting for about ....50+ years - started at about 5 - trailing my dad on the beaches as he metal detected - pottery and shards. First point came many years later - digging, old farmfield. Again -= 50+ years

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been looking down now for 60 yrs.
Still remember my first hunt, finding chips along the North Thompson River.
Lost my rubber boot in quick sand.
Was already up to my knees when my Dad pulled me out.
I don't find many, but I still never look up when I'm in the dirt.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2735+50+60=2845

Thomfitz

Mar 18, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I moved from SW Kansas, I had searched and collected that area for 40+ years with good success. Now living in NE New Mexico for 6 years, 30 mile SW of the Folsom site, still hunting & collecting. Total years of collecting, 46 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread