Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out yesterday despite 28 degrees but no wind which is rare for Cape Cod. Had a solid 24-26 signal on my Equinox 800 thought it might be another dandy button but was this Silver nugget. It was shining in the hole. Weights 2.9 grams. Mixed in with some broken brick. That's a first for me. Not far away dug this 1809 half cent in really good condition. That's the newest dated item I have found on this site so far. Thought I had two coins in the hole but it was a square chunk of lead or pewter with a hole on the top? Small hollow Round button looked plain to me but I cleaned it and found it has a shield with 2 or 7 stamped in the center. Regiment? Some other design as well. Few other buttons, two with decorations. Small Brass pull and what I think must be a part of a oil lamp base with Silver leafing. Brass thimble.

Attachments

• finds 1 16 22.jpg
    finds 1 16 22.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 221
  • silver nugget.jpg
    silver nugget.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 167
  • 1809 half cent 1.jpg
    1809 half cent 1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 1809 half cent b.jpg
    1809 half cent b.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 152
  • lead square.jpg
    lead square.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 141
  • button 2.jpg
    button 2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 126
  • shield button.jpg
    shield button.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 128
  • flower button f.jpg
    flower button f.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Upvote 32

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out yesterday despite 28 degrees but no wind which is rare for Cape Cod. Had a solid 24-26 signal on my Equinox 800 thought it might be another dandy button but was this Silver nugget. It was shining in the hole. Weights 2.9 grams. Mixed in with some broken brick. That's a first for me. Not far away dug this 1809 half cent in really good condition. That's the oldest dated item I have found on this site so far. Thought I had two coins in the hole but it was a square chunk of lead or pewter with a hole on the top? Small hollow Round button looked plain to me but I cleaned it and found it has a shield with 2 or 7 stamped in the center. Most likely a 7 now that I look at it. Regiment? Some other design as well. Few other buttons, two with decorations. Small Brass pull and what I think must be a part of a oil lamp base with Silver leafing. Brass thimble.
Really nice Half Cent, great hunt. Congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out yesterday despite 28 degrees but no wind which is rare for Cape Cod. Had a solid 24-26 signal on my Equinox 800 thought it might be another dandy button but was this Silver nugget. It was shining in the hole. Weights 2.9 grams. Mixed in with some broken brick. That's a first for me. Not far away dug this 1809 half cent in really good condition. That's the newest dated item I have found on this site so far. Thought I had two coins in the hole but it was a square chunk of lead or pewter with a hole on the top? Small hollow Round button looked plain to me but I cleaned it and found it has a shield with 2 or 7 stamped in the center. Regiment? Some other design as well. Few other buttons, two with decorations. Small Brass pull and what I think must be a part of a oil lamp base with Silver leafing. Brass thimble.
Early Half Cent in Great Shape!!! Nice Hunt!!! Congrats !!!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a good day of hunting for sure. That’s a beautiful half cent. Congratulations

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would've thought that was melted aluminum..butbthat half cent is great !!!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds! Half Cent in nice shape. The lead square looks like a die or if you get another one you'll have a pair of dice

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Half Cent in nice shape. The lead square looks like a die or if you get another one you'll have a pair of dice
Thank you. Yes, I thought it might be a dice. Looks like some marks on the sides but not like traditional dice.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billb, How did you guys only get 4 in. of snow. I had to dig out 6" to *" from my driveway every day for 4 days! Anyway, glad to hear it wasn't too bad for you all!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape Hunter
Congratulations again on your nice recoveries
The Cape definitely is such a important area in our early settlements
Wishing and Hoping that your next hunt greets you with big rewards
Take care
Bill

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape Hunter
Congratulations again on your nice recoveries
The Cape definitely is such a important area in our early settlements
Wishing and Hoping that your next hunt greets you with big rewards
Take care
Bill
Thank you billb.
Have found a site closer to when the colonists finally started homesteads on the cape. Probably dirt floor thatch roof on a knoll over looking a pond. Three buckles from the early 1600-1700 century. Two rings and a mid 1600's coin. Probably buried in the floor. Will post them when finally done with the spot.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking copper, the buttons are a fine recovery as well.
Is that a silver or brass thimble?

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking copper, the buttons are a fine recovery as well.
Is that a silver or brass thimble?
Thanks pepperj
This one was brass. I did find a Silver one on the same location last Fall. Have about half dozen Silver ones so far.

I found what was a Silver leafed 1700's sewing kit with needle case which is rare. Was not the same location though. Will make a great display with the Silver thimbles.

Attachments

• sewing case.jpg
    sewing case.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 26

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread