Yesterday’s find- a Paleo year maker!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Late Paleo, (Northeastern) Hardaway-Dalton made of Sally Rock Rhyolite. Found surface hunting in SE New England. Did the best I could with the photos. This one gave me trouble.

My eye says Dalton all the way. But that’s just MO. The Basel sides are ground and the bottom is thin as a sheet of paper. I believe I see attempts made to flute both sides.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1621041471.061955.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1621041484.667757.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1621041531.615714.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1621041542.055902.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1621041557.880580.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1621041567.672403.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
....lightening strikes you more like, one time or another... That mucky stuff really hangs on....

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
That is a beauty Mucker! Makes me want to get out and do some looking myself.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome point! :icon_thumleft: Congratulations!

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Woah!... talk about a year maker.
Fantastic find, I to, see dalton similarities.

Thanks UP. In our area, we don’t have an official dated Dalton Type. We have what the experts have collectively set aside as a group called Hardaway-Dalton. In New England, this group is currently undated. My point would be put in this category.

Boudreaux, in his New England Typology argues that these points do not resemble points of the Dalton tradition. I will argue that this Point looks nothing like a Hardaway, but falls well within the Dalton tradition and meets many of the Hardaway-Dalton type diagnostics from the Southern and Central regions of North America. If this point were found in (say) North Carolina, it certainly would be ‘typed’ a Dalton or Hardaway-Dalton.

The examples of our Hardaway-Dalton have Ears that hint of some Dalton intention. The base on this point has ‘ground’ parallel sides that are about 13mm long (1/2”)

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a beauty Mucker! Makes me want to get out and do some looking myself.

We know they’re out there, right? When I’m walking, I catch myself singing to myself Johnny Cash’s song, ‘I’ve been everywhere where, Man, I’ve been everywhere!’

Gone a lot of miles on these feet.

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Good one MA, sometimes things like that remind us of why we spend so many hours walking, digging, sifting, or what ever way we find them. Congratulations :occasion14:

I looked for many years before I found anything. I had to teach myself where ‘not’ to look and what to search for. Ha ha! Now, I can take that one off my bucket list. But, then again, maybe it has an orphaned sibling somewhere out there. Hmm.?

OP
OP
MAMucker

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a beautiful point, probably the best one I've seen you post! Congratulations.

Thank you. I couldn’t capture the true color and texture very well. I tried a new (eBay) Still Photo box with LED light-strips built in. How do you take such great photos?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A year maker, indeed! Down here, it would probably be classified as an Ocmulgee Dalton. Exceptional find in my book!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did fine with the pics all the details are clear on that beauty! Congrats on that find..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread