Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made plans with a hunting partner to hit an old tavern near where a French and Indian War road passed.
A previous trip yielded a 1749 KG II, buttons, and a 1750s military sling buckle. But he couldn't make it yesterday, so I called on my new partner, Emily, to go with me. When we got there the farmer wouldn't let us hunt near the tavern site because his son wants to get a metal detector. We were allowed to hunt a muddy field about 150 yards away. I managed to find a few things, including my 74th Spanish silver, which keeps my streak of finding at least one per year alive, now at 11 straight years. Emily couldn't find anything with my Equinox 600, but it wasn't for lack of trying lol. She must be good luck though because she was with me the last two times I've found Spanish silver ;D

Emily working on another phantom target lol
Emily FU.jpg

Farm fresh, 177X Spanish half real
Half Real - dirt.jpg

Half Real.jpg

My take. The buckle shield was patented in 1879 and used for many years.. I found it washed out of the side of the road when we stopped to eat on the way home. Everything else is from the farm field. The large musket ball is a .69 caliber Brown Bess musket ball from the French & Indian War.
IMG_20220412_104851466_HDR_2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 24

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Made plans with a hunting partner to hit an old tavern near where a French and Indian War road passed.
A previous trip yielded a 1749 KG II, buttons, and a 1750s military sling buckle. But he couldn't make it yesterday, so I called on my new partner, Emily, to go with me. When we got there the farmer wouldn't let us hunt near the tavern site because his son wants to get a metal detector. We were allowed to hunt a muddy field about 150 yards away. I managed to find a few things, including my 74th Spanish silver, which keeps my streak of finding at least one per year alive, now at 11 straight years. Emily couldn't find anything with my Equinox 600, but it wasn't for lack of trying lol. She must be good luck though because she was with me the last two times I've found Spanish silver ;D

View attachment 2020635

View attachment 2020636

My take. The buckle shield was patented in 1879 and used for many years.. I found it washed out of the side of the road when we stopped to eat on the way home. Everything else is from the farm field. The large musket ball is a .69 caliber Brown Bess musket ball from the French & Indian War.
View attachment 2020637
Great finds…think I found that same buckle this weekend at a late 1800s home.

Attachments

• C5DF3FE6-D23D-4D25-A33E-A16884675380.jpeg
    C5DF3FE6-D23D-4D25-A33E-A16884675380.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2020635

View attachment 2020636

View attachment 2020637
Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Too bad you couldn't actualy hit the tavern cuz the owner is selfish.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Too bad you couldn't actualy hit the tavern cuz the owner is selfish.
He's actually a nice Amish guy. I've hit the tavern area before and found some nice buttons and a 1749 KG II.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds…think I found that same buckle this weekend at a late 1800s home.
I have found a few of them in the past. They are actually buckle shields or covers used at the rear of the horse to keep the horse's tail from getting snagged on the buckle. They were first patented in 1879. Here is a page from a 1907 catalog advertising them. I actually found this one washed out of the side of a street in a small town where we stopped to eat on the way home.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emily looks like a nice upgrade to me! :icon_thumleft::laughing7: Nice finds!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2020635

View attachment 2020636

View attachment 2020637
Congrats on adding another Spanish silver to your tally!!!

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were the Brown Bess muskets firing .69's during the F&I war? I know they fired .75 during the Revolution. The French Charlesville musket used by American troops during the Revolution fired the .69.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were the Brown Bess muskets firing .69's during the F&I war? I know they fired .75 during the Revolution. The French Charlesville musket used by American troops during the Revolution fired the .69.
This one mics at exactly .69. I have found the same size musket balls at numerous British F & I War sites in SW PA. Maybe the gun was .75 caliber, but the balls were smaller.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one fantastic streak Steve, and quite a load of Spanish silver. Thanks for the post. Keep'm coming!
Thanks Silvermonkey. I'm glad I got it out of the way early in the year. In 2018 it wasn't until December 16 that I found one to keep the streak alive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions