WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at work when I watched this first. Couldn't listen, well, because I was at work. When the paper boat in the a ground started moving, it freaked me out! This is the first time I've ever heard the full song. Pretty cool. Lots of history with the song.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Man's_Chest

Thanks for posting it.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I like it a lot. Once I had read the lyrics I realized how dark and piratical it was !! That made me like it even more. I gotta learn a verse or 2 so I can lead my mates in song !! Its like gangster rap of the 1700s or pirate heavy metal. Lol !!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never heard the full thing before either, thanks for posting!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Try plying with rum! :skullflag:
Edited my bad...too many http's.
Should work now.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try plying with rum! :skullflag:
Edited my bad...too many http's.
Should work now.

Ill have to go treasure hunt on that island if I ever get back down that way. Cool story thanks !! There should be 15 old rum bottles there. Lol

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobbit that is my favorite version of treasure island. Christen bale did a great job and was just a boy. If my memory is right fonda was long ben !! Great movie. Trg nice going with the whole "rule of thumb" definition. If you havnt checked out relavenchairs post on "the deadmans chest". Its a small island off st. Thomas. Its a great link.

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A really fine effort - a real ship, Charlton Heston as a memorable Long John Silver, Christopher Lee as Pew. Couldn't ask for more. Thanks for that post Hobbit.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats right heston not fonda. Thanks TRG !! I can still watch that one whenever I see it no matter how far along it is. Great version of the movie.

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
I completely agree with you guys...the best film version of Treasure Island ever. I have it on DVD and have watched it many times. It never gets old. The soundtrack is terrific as well

Seeing Blak Bart's thread made me think of the film immediately.

Interestingly, the ship used in the film to represent Hispaniola, was Bounty, the ship custom built for the 1960 Marlon Brando version of Mutiny on the Bounty.

This was the same ship tragically and senselessly lost in Superstorm Sandy a few years ago.

Here is a photo of Bounty in her death throes:

bounty with decks awash.png

Last edited:

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I had never seen it, went out and rented it and had great time watching it. Been listening to the commentary by Heston's son, who directed it. They sailed the Bounty down to Jamaica where they filmed the island portion. Rest done in England on location or at Pinewood studios. Heston read the book to his son many times when he was a boy so he chose it to film as his debut effort. Said he remembered his father reading about Pew's tap tap tapping stick instilling a sense of dread. I can relate. The song "15 men" which Stevenson wrote only the two verses that appear in the book, was fleshed out into a long poem by Young Ewing Allison called "Derelict" in 1891. Dead Man's Chest is thought to be Caribbean island, small with no water, on which Blackbeard marooned a number of crew leaving them only with a supply of rum believing they would all kill each other, but 15 survived. Stevenson supposedly read the phrase "dead mans chest" in a previous pirate novel and that became his inspiration for his story, published as a serial in a popular journal in 1881/2. There are a number of historical references in the novel as Stevenson was familiar with both pirate history and fictional treatments. A classic.

A big thanks to blak bart for this thread.

Last edited:

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
well mid October the harddrive on my tower got fried ?????think it was not my doing...lost so much...still pickin up bills from IRMA ...all good tho....still fema is handing out money to the mainland and acting like the keys got spared.....anyways I think I'm back..workin my ass off for my family and friends

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering about you keys hunter ? I know what you mean, just got done with the hurricane renovations. We had to rebuild our kitchen. Finally putting the finishing and final touches in. Least there has been some treasure for me here and there. Just starting to fish again. Thank the lord.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread