“You Don’t Want Us Being Upset With You”

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder how much longer people in New York will put up with the loss of their rights and freedoms before they find the courage to fight back..

“You Don’t Want Us Being Upset With You”: NY Cop to Man Washing Car…in His Own Driveway

Posted on*December 23, 2013*by*Lily Dane

Don’t even think about washing your car in your driveway if you live in Garden City, Long Island.* Such a serious infraction may lead to an unpleasant visit from the neighborhood*mafia*cops.

A 24-year-old man said he was washing his 1997 Volkswagen in his driveway*when a*police officer showed up and told him he wasn’t allowed to do that:

“What is that? Doing any kind of work here or any kind of detailing, like washing the car — things like that you are not allowed to do.”

The officer said that although the car wasn’t going to be washed in the street, which is illegal, washing it in the driveway would still be in the public’s view. He also informed the man that a “neighbor complained” and “doesn’t like you.” Noticket*was given that day, but the man was warned that if neighbors call again, the cops would be back*to check*things out.

Don’t the police in NY have better things to do than harass citizens who are minding their ownbusiness*on their private property?

?You Don?t Want Us Being Upset With You?: NY Cop to Man Washing Car?in His Own Driveway |

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
No offense to any members of law enforcement on the forum because there are plenty who are good guys but.. It's been a slow progression from the friendly neighborhood cop to the SWAT team wannabe who sees everyone who is not a cop as the enemy. Not just specialized teams only used in an emergency anymore but all of them. They are taught military tactics, often wear military clothing, carry military grade weapons and we are no longer people. We are "civilians". Pssst.. Rambo.. you're a civilian too. They will tell you themselves they are NOT here to "protect & serve". They are here strictly to go after criminals. I give an example of how bad it's become from the small rural town I lived in for 32 years in New Hampshire. When I bought my old place there in 1981 the only crime was that on Halloween kids would dump boxes of soap powder in the town fountain. The police department was normally one guy operating out of a one room "office" on the side of the town hall. They closed at 5 and if you called after that the phone rang at the home of whoever was on call. Fast forward 30 years... They now have a brand new multi million dollar "public safety" building. 9 cops on duty during the day and 4-5 at night. 5 cruisers including one unmarked (that's seen quite often at the grocery store with the chiefs wife driving), and 2 motorcycles. If you need to go to the police station you ring a buzzer and someone peeks out through bulletproof glass and asks you what your business with them is. Then they decide if they want to let you in. The only crime in town is that on Halloween kids dump soap in the fountain....

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
So typical things have become, the last time I went to a police station..the damn door was locked with a sign saying closed on weekends..!?! How in the hell can it be closed ?
Though there was a button you could press to talk to a dispatcher for emergencies only..bleh

But military grade police..yeah I see that happening, look at the vid I posted in my ammo thread..goes to show RJC was right about cops being outfitted with monster trucks..I am kinda jealous...I want one.

As a side note I would have pulled a Janet Jackson on that cop and doused his flame with my hose...oops sorry my hose malfunctioned muwhaha..

Mike

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did he live in one of those "comunal" communities?? They may have a rule about that stuff. My wife's cousins lived in one. They had friends show up in a motorhome that stayed a few days. Someone reported that they ran a power cord from the house to the motorhome so they had to remove it. Some places you can't even have a small propane tank in public view. It's progressives at their very best......almost Stepford Wives. Everyone conforms and acts the same, if you don't, it upsets them.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Did he live in one of those "comunal" communities?? They may have a rule about that stuff. My wife's cousins lived in one. They had friends show up in a motorhome that stayed a few days. Someone reported that they ran a power cord from the house to the motorhome so they had to remove it. Some places you can't even have a small propane tank in public view. It's progressives at their very best......almost Stepford Wives. Everyone conforms and acts the same, if you don't, it upsets them.

I guess I'll just have to stop wizzing off my back porch then.:laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A video taken in Garden City has been spreading around various social media websites over the past few days. The footage, evidently taken via cell phone, depicts a police officer (pictured right) accosting a pair of young men for washing a car in their own driveway.The two men who took the video appeared dumbfounded when the officer told them that there was a village ordinance against washing cars in public places, but the officer came prepared with a printed copy of the unusual law, saying “I’m not making this… up” when presenting it to the car owners.In addition to prohibiting the cleaning of a variety of fabrics in public spaces, Section 178-3 under Article II of the Garden City village ordinances states that “no person shall wash or cause to be washed any motor vehicle or like conveyance upon any public street, highway or public place.”After a brief argument the officer left without incident, letting the men off with a warning. It is unclear whether the pair was actually in violation of the cited law; as one of them pointed out, his driveway is not a public street, highway, or place, but the officer told him that it is in public view and thus subject to the same ordinance.The officer seemed aware of how far out of the ordinary the local law lies—when initially asked by one of the youths whether there was a problem, he responded with “Yeah… the problem being your neighbor doesn’t like you,” citing an angry neighbor as the cause for his visit rather than a need to prevent town residents from washing their cars.[Source: Garden City Village Ordinances]

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a lot of people need to stick their noses somewhere where the sun doesn't shine. (Please forgive me)

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
These are my only neighbors. We have an understanding. If they leave me alone I won't eat them. So far it's working.

Attachments

• cows next door-3.JPG
    cows next door-3.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 101

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like a lot of people need to stick their noses somewhere where the sun doesn't shine. (Please forgive me)

I don't have to forgive you,I never judged you to begin with,

it would do folks well to understand that principle.

In the meantime I think this is what you're talking about. (Forgive me)

Attachments

• bush_headupass.gif
    bush_headupass.gif
    58.8 KB · Views: 156
Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got one of those neighbors.
I'm in a seven-house cul-de-sac so there's not much curb to park next to for any house. A visitor parks in front of her house more than 20 minutes and she calls the freakin' cops. 2 hours later I get a knock on my door asking if I know who's car that was. Apparently we have an "ordinance" that you can't park within 10 feet of a curb-side mail box. Well this cul-de-sac has mailboxes about 20 feet apart. And the "infraction" occurs well after the postal delivery person has come.
Sheesh.
I understand how the Nazis were able to succeed in Germany if they had people like her.
Gladly trade her in for a herd of cows.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is the laws they passed that trample our rights and freedoms.

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't only happening in law enforcement but in our national parks as well. Last time I was backpacking/camping a crew of about 5-6 showed up and immediately fanned out behind trees with their military garb on and hand hands on pistol grips peeking out from behind trees. The lone female stated she was training and wanted to see our permits. The other ones started to rummage thru our campsite looking as if we had broken some law. I remember the old days where a friendly ranger in the typical ranger clothes and hat would answer questions and give advise in a kind and friendly manner. These days are gone. I agree, it's time to stand up and fight for our rights before they are gone.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all I can find in their ordinances: Article II: Washing on Streets and Sidewalks
178-3:
No person shall wash or cause to be washed, clean or cause to be cleaned, beat or cause to be beaten any rugs, curtains, furniture, tapestry, clothing or other like articles upon any sidewalk, public street, highway or public place within the village, and no person shall wash or cause to be washed any motor vehicle or like conveyance upon any public street, highway or public place.

I'm not saying seeing isn't believing, but it would take considerable license to construe a driveway as a street. IOW, it isn't.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't only happening in law enforcement but in our national parks as well. Last time I was backpacking/camping a crew of about 5-6 showed up and immediately fanned out behind trees with their military garb on and hand hands on pistol grips peeking out from behind trees. The lone female stated she was training and wanted to see our permits. The other ones started to rummage thru our campsite looking as if we had broken some law. I remember the old days where a friendly ranger in the typical ranger clothes and hat would answer questions and give advise in a kind and friendly manner. These days are gone. I agree, it's time to stand up and fight for our rights before they are gone.

This is waaaay out of line, and warrants a letter to NPS headquarters, cc'd to a US Senator.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my only neighbors. We have an understanding. If they leave me alone I won't eat them. So far it's working.

NH,

Hey!, looks just like my neighbors too! A little flatter country maybe, but yup, same kinda neighbors here in rural Texas! Of course, ours is a "mixed" neighborhood with horses, a mule and a donkey too, but they don't complain about anything either! All in all, a very cooperative neighborhood!

Every now and then, we get some folks that move out here from the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex because "we love the country". After a short time, the first thing some of them try to do is bring in zoning, street lights, and other rules to try and restrict everyones' freedom and the way we live and these people were all raised out here.. The short form of what they get told is "Go stuff it"! Love my neighbors!! LMBO!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You call a mule "very cooperative"? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread