You Want a Point ?

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a nice one for you. In the Illinois Fluted Point Survey as a re-based Clovis (which, for several reasons, I don't understand). Kaolin Chert. 3.5 inches long. Fits the Redstone profile better, IMHO.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice artifact. Its definitely early. REDSTONE is what I would call it.

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet. Love the double flute on the one face. Looks like the flute failed on the other face and was not re-attempted. I'm guessing that is because the point is thin and flat in cross section, which would make attempting another flute nearly impossible. I don't like it as a Redstone, the fluting is wrong. At least in the classic sense Redstones should be fluted at least halfway up on both faces. I believe it was a Clovis point used as a hafted knife and being resharpened mostly in the tip area, resulting in the triangular shape. I am also not understanding the "rebased" idea.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet. Love the double flute on the one face. Looks like the flute failed on the other face and was not re-attempted. I'm guessing that is because the point is thin and flat in cross section, which would make attempting another flute nearly impossible. I don't like it as a Redstone, the fluting is wrong. At least in the classic sense Redstones should be fluted at least halfway up on both faces. I believe it was a Clovis point used as a hafted knife and being resharpened mostly in the tip area, resulting in the triangular shape. I am also not understanding the "rebased" idea.

If it had to be rebased, that means the base needed to be repaired and lost material during the repair. So, the point would have been longer and the flute would have been longer as well--possibly half way up! May have
been resharpened while hafted too as many are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other

image.jpeg

Maximum thickness is 7.75 mm. (dial caliper)

Last edited:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the flute scars it is apparent that the biface was considerably longer when they were struck. I think that explains the really short flutes on the opposing side as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
"The book" says nearly full-length flutes. But the Peach State Arch. Soc. illustrates five, and flutes (if present at all) are short. Projectilepoints.net examples show similar variability. Who knows ?

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
In the Illinois Fluted Point Survey as a re-based Clovis (which, for several reasons, I don't understand).

It appears to be rebased to me. The distance from the base edge to the flute termination on the labeled side is much too short.
I believe a significant portion of the original fluted base is missing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread