pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I'm thinking about doing California beaches this summer, and considering a proper, dedicated beach detector to use both in dry sand, and shallow surf. I like my Tesoro land units, and would consider a Tesoro for the beaches too.
BUT.. what would you recommend just for detecting at salt beaches? Should I be thinking about only a PI, or would they have me digging every speck of foil? What's your favorite "real" beach detector?

Thanks!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excalibur; CZ21; Dual Field; Sand Shark :icon_thumright:

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another machine that you might consider is the Whites Beach Hunter 300. Whites ended production of them as of 2017 but it is likely that some dealers still have them in stock - and the full warranty would apply if you purchased a new BH 300. It does have discrimination and dual frequencies. In all metal (that's the best way to use the machine) the three lights give an indication of the target being trash or not.

It is a fairly heavy machine though and wouldn't be my first choice for hunting dry sand exclusively. I do like the machine and find that it works well for me.

I've never used another water detector, so I can't comment on, or compare the other machines. In NJ it seems that most water hunters use the Excalibur or a CTX 3030. I don't see many people detecting in the water though, but there are a lot of people who detect the dry sand with the typical VLF machines.

Kwillie

May 28, 2016
Galveston Tx
Detector(s) used
Teknetics D 4000
Minelab excalibur II
Minelab go find 20
Garrett AT Pro.
Garrett ATX Deepseeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excalibur ii can't beat it, I clean up Galveston TX with mine. Picks up coins and rings like a chicken picking upcorn.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
Call Dennis at metaldetectors.com for info on any water machines or accessaries great prices

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread