YOUR opinions on Bounty Hunter

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
I have a BH Sharpshooter 2, and it has done very well, other than a few erratic moments once in awhile. Usually I just turn it off and then back on and it goes well again. Or change batteries. The depth is alright on it, with the 8inch coil, and I haven't used the 4 inch one very much yet, but it doesn't seem to go deep at all. I also have an old BH unit, that works very well, but has needed a new speaker, and battery leads. Bounty Hunter works for me.

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Thanks for the answer mercuryman!

I am getting irritated with the Landstar- I can't seem to get much depth with it. I seem to only be finding coins at 3" or less. What kind of depth do you get with yours?

Thanks

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
Both of mine go about 6" depending on the day. If its dry, it doesn't seem to go as deep. sand does a little better it seems. Somedays though, it only seems to go 2" or so, even with an air test. My old detector,a Tracker 1 D/505, seems to do a little better with depth, but I may just know how to use it better.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tinker toys in the extreme low end bargain basement.Detectors are like everything else-you get what you pay for.I'd buy a used anything before a BH.I've been detecting over 45 years and owned just about anything ever made.Tons a au 2 u all-John :D

Attachments

• IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 17
  • 20150524_235952.jpg
    20150524_235952.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 13
  • 20150524_235820.jpg
    20150524_235820.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 15
  • carved lead.jpg
    carved lead.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 16
  • reid-bullets.jpg
    reid-bullets.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 17
  • bullet-atpro.jpg
    bullet-atpro.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 27
  • nickle-v.jpg
    nickle-v.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 19
  • buckle-merc.jpg
    buckle-merc.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 15

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
Well, I know Bounty Hunter is not a top of the line detector. But it is the only one I can afford, that I can buy locally. I would rather have a detector that is cheaper and detect, than not detect at all. Eventually, I will move up to a Whites or Garrett, but being 29 I don't have a lot of money. :D

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Thanks for anwering mercuryman- The depth sounds about the same as what I get...

I agree that I would like to get a fat 1000$ MD sometime, but I lack the cash. The average metal detector customer likely makes a bit more money than I do.

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
Where in VA are you? My in-laws used to live @ Ft. AP Hill. My brother-in-law still does live close to there. :D

Attachments

• image01.jpg
    image01.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 19
A

Anonymous

I just bought my Eldorado off ebay. It was factory refurbished, it is the same model currently being sold, and the seller has a flawless ebay record. I could have gotten the same unti new for $375.00 plus shipping and maybe tax.

I paid $299 including shipping and insurance. I prolly could have gotten it a bit cheaper but used the buy it now feature cuz I never like to wait if I don't have to :wink:

I have been watching metal detectors on ebay for a couple of weeks, and you can save a bit over buying retail, but not a whole lot cuz with Whites advertising on TV detectors are getting kinda popular.

Basically, if you can't afford a new one of a certain type, odds are you won't find a like new used one you can afford either.

My new-to me-Eldorado should be here the eighth and I'll post how it turns out.

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I personally have used D-Tex(now defunct), Garret, Whites, Tesoro and Bounty Hunter. I use a BH Land Star now and a old Tesoro Cutlass for back up. I have liked all the detectors I've owned. I have not had any problems finding coins or rings with any of them. I will say that I have found more rings with the Land Star than any detector I've had. I think part of this is the way I hunt. I will say one of the best dry land ring collections I've seen was found with a BH Tracker IV. I do think you get a good bang for your buck with a BH. I also think Whites Classic ID is a good buy. If I lived in gold bearing country, I would try a MXT for all around use. I've hunted now for twenty three years, and have still found that location and knowing your machine is the key to having fun. There is a lot of hype in detectors. Use what you can afford and enjoy. HH Cal

Attachments

• DSCN2232.JPG
    DSCN2232.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN1865.JPG
    DSCN1865.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1980.JPG
    DSCN1980.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Sanderson TX_BirdPoint.JPG
    Sanderson TX_BirdPoint.JPG
    888.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Fort Worth TX.jpg
    Fort Worth TX.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 13
  • North Texas Tract_Fort Worth.JPG
    North Texas Tract_Fort Worth.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 18
  • wagon wheel hub 2.jpg
    wagon wheel hub 2.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 16
  • wagon wheel hub.jpg
    wagon wheel hub.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
mercuryman- I live about an hour from Roanoke VA, which puts me around 4 hours or so from Fort A.P. hill.

Thanks to all of you for responding to this thread.

Mark

Mar 27, 2003
Los Angeles California
Been using the BH LandStar for a few months now and have had good success with it, found alot of coins, all clad and 30 rings.Since its the first detector I've had I can't compare it to any other,and I've heard positives and negitives it seems on all the brands. Another factor is price,I got a good deal on it from jcpenny online on their wednesday sale, only $199.99 plus tax and shipping, lowest price I found and I did alot of looking around. well theres my input who's next :D hh

R

Rich

After my exp with a BH and a whites,im gonna go all the way a get a minelabex2

R

Rich

After my exp with a BH and a whites,im gonna go all the way a get a minelabex2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread