You’re going to think I’m nuts.

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has suddenly become paper dry here in Iowa, and no matter how careful you may be, stuff is going to die if you dig.

What the heck, things are dying if you DON’T dig around here lately. Which is why I’ve focused on my acreage here lately. I’m new to the hobby, I live on a farm acreage that I own, I know some of the history, and I should, eventually, find something of interest here. And I don’t care if I kill a little grass.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t try to use good practices here, and I’ve done my best to at least replace plugs as neatly as possible and pack them in well, or at least as well as I can. I try to make sure hinges on my plugs are intact, but frankly, I’m digging in powder. Well, it’ll grow back.

My wife took me aback, however, after mowing the lawn with our smallish 48” zero turn mower. She gave me hell on not replacing my plugs. That frustrated me. I always replace them. Every, single time. But after walking around with her, the plugs were most certainly NOT where the should have been.

What the heck. I’m a rookie. I’m learning. Maybe I screwed up. So I put them back in the holes and called it a day. But I’ll be damned if the next morning, more plugs were pulled out of the holes that I dug. Plugs that I know were there the evening before.

All this, leading up to a simple question. What the heck is happening?

Upvote 8

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Critters.

If you want to scare some off then you might want to put a pinch of human hair (from last haircut) or citrus peel or pepper flakes or dish soap in the hole before plugging or even outside the plug. It won't work 100% but it should work at least 50%. I'd probably carry a water bottle also and water the bottom of the plug for the roots (hey, I like plants - especially those that try to survive this heat) between my own sips. But that would probably defeat the purpose of the hair/citrus/pepper/soap since the water would attract worms and that in turn would attract 'possums and raccoons and such.

Exployer

May 4, 2015
south Jersey/ SE Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Put up some trail cams.
Yup, trail cams are the sure bet., No guessing anymore. I always work over
hole finds from someone else. About 25% success. If they are other guys
working your claims, the trail cams will show. I move mine around about every two weeks. Keep the wife happy.
Exployer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread