Yukon-bound...need info

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOGLE Alaska Golf Forum,series a forums dealing with all aspects of life in the cold north.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya Skidoo, I was raised in the yukon and have family that runs a 40 acre placer lease in the Dawson district, are you looking in the Dawson area or more in the South, ie. Atlin. For simply panning you have unbelievable options available, hardly a river around that doesnt offer some sort of history or prospect. I like the Carcross area, and south. Chris

OP
OP
S

skidooforever

Thanks for the replies!

I am not sure where exactly I'd like to go, but it is dependant on employment, so I presume it will be a larger area like Whitehorse or Dawson.

What kind of money can a person earn in an 10 or 12 hour day? Assuming the panner is somewhat skilled and in a good region?

Whats the process of actually taking the gold in and getting a paycheck?

Are there a good variety of claims available at one time, or is thera a waiting list?

Thanks again

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skidooforever said:
Thanks for the replies!

I am not sure where exactly I'd like to go, but it is dependant on employment, so I presume it will be a larger area like Whitehorse or Dawson.

What kind of money can a person earn in an 10 or 12 hour day? Assuming the panner is somewhat skilled and in a good region?

Whats the process of actually taking the gold in and getting a paycheck?

Are there a good variety of claims available at one time, or is thera a waiting list?

Thanks again

Well claim wise, staking fever has sprung since gold has been over $400/oz. still open ground but of course, dont expect miracles unless your willing to put in a ton of effort. As far as wages,,, wow, forget it man, on a decent claim with great panning conditions you might be able to pay for gas and a bottle of mid grade grain alchohol. It is alot tougher selling your first ounce of gold once you realise how much work you had to do to get that ounce. Not trying to discourage you but it isn't as easy as it sounds in the "learn to goldpan" books. 90% of all prospectors do it for no reason other than personal enjoyment, 5% might try to make a profit with some equipment, 5% are in it with the intent to make dough, just a job. My numbers only.
Good luck to ya no matter what you decide to do or where you end up, Chris

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMEN to C'N"BC 's advice.When you turn your recreation into your advocation the luster turns grey,the fun dies,and in gold mining the starving begins.I'd estimate that it has become 10 times harder and 10 times more expensive in the last 7-10 years to mine.Tons a paperwork,rules,laws,regs.,,seasons, 1% might make it.Just a 49 years a mining opinion ,both for fun and eating outta the dredgebox !!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
S

skidooforever

Thanks for the info.

I knew it would be tough, but now I have it in perspective.

So if I cant make a living, I can always be a weekend hobby panner.

Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread