Zincoln Nickels?

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

The United States is paying 9.4 cents for every nickel it mints. And Congress is not very happy about it.

So tests are underway to find cheaper materials for nickels, and the latest experiment involves making nickels with the same formula used to make pennies - a solid zinc base covered with a thin layer of copper.

And we all know how those zinc pennies crumble when they've been in the ground a while - will the same fate soon befall our nickels too?

This photo shows the experimental nickels. (They don't have the markings of regular nickels, because the mint doesn't want collectors clamoring for them.)

Hear the story at In the Corner with Dan Hughes.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Looks like they are putting the nite cap on Jefferson. lol Frank... 111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Cool!...More garbage coinage that will rot away in 2 years....Seems like that is the WHOLE intention of these coins

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The EPA should have fits about this-- the reason the pennies corrode so quickly is they act like batteries in the environment! And they are trying to remove batteries from the environment.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, I've done my share of removing that corrosive c--p! Not looking forward to new corrosive "money".
Sometimes I think it's all about spending the most money in the most bazaar way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread