tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were a few mines in the Rockies that utilized an aerial tram back in the day. I was at Disney World back in March and rode the aerial tram they had and thought they should have the same thing going to all the ski resorts and mountain town hot spots from Denver. It's getting to be an absolute mess up there anymore. I left last Sunday to Grand Junction and it was miles of bumper to bumper traffic heading back to the city. I truthful don't even like going up in the Colorado Rockies anymore, unless it's a Sunday afternoon when everyone is going back to Denver.

Attachments

• 3271194170_f76ee9cc6d_b.jpg
    3271194170_f76ee9cc6d_b.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210711_165029.jpg
    20210711_165029.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were a few mines in the Rockies that utilized an aerial tram back in the day. I was at Disney World back in March and rode the aerial tram they had and thought they should have the same thing going to all the ski resorts and mountain town hot spots from Denver. It's getting to be an absolute mess up there anymore. I left last Sunday to Grand Junction and it was miles of bumper to bumper traffic heading back to the city. I truthful don't even like going up in the Colorado Rockies anymore, unless it's a Sunday afternoon when everyone is going back to Denver.

During our honeymoon we took the cog up to the top of Pikes Peak and the views were spectacular!
Remember being pretty dizzy from the lack of 02, this was back in 1989.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During our honeymoon we took the cog up to the top of Pikes Peak and the views were spectacular!
Remember being pretty dizzy from the lack of 02, this was back in 1989.
I rode the cog rail way one time and it was probably 1989 also.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
history lesson,pikes peak is 14115 and the only paved road higher in the us is mt evans road that is 14130. got to go there for the pike peak race and prerun to the top.i tried to ride the train back down but it was full.and yes the view is cool.
brad

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They say mining men can accomplish most anything once yellow metal's been struck. Never knew drywash'n dirt eaters could be such smart engineers.........very impressive!

Its nice to see discussion going on in this forum

Last edited:

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When it comes to the tram line itself, most synthetic line is going to have a lot of stretch. In our mine exploring we use a static climbing rope that only has about 2-3% stretch. It is much more efficient when we are rope climbing back out of a shaft. While it's not cheap, you can tension it down and not get a lot of stretch.

Depending on how many dollars you want to invest, you can purchase Dyneema rope which is as close to zero stretch as you can get in a synthetic rope. It's the same stuff that they use for synthetic winch line. You can source it the bigger sailboat stores since they use it for rigging. Lots of greenbacks though.

Joanne

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to the tram line itself, most synthetic line is going to have a lot of stretch. In our mine exploring we use a static climbing rope that only has about 2-3% stretch. It is much more efficient when we are rope climbing back out of a shaft. While it's not cheap, you can tension it down and not get a lot of stretch.

Depending on how many dollars you want to invest, you can purchase Dyneema rope which is as close to zero stretch as you can get in a synthetic rope. It's the same stuff that they use for synthetic winch line. You can source it the bigger sailboat stores since they use it for rigging. Lots of greenbacks though.

Joanne

Thanks for the 411 Joanne :icon_thumright:

Since it's not my body or life on the line I'm going to go as inexpensive as possible. Not going to spend over $40 for 100 feet of wire rope cable.
I found a source in California that should suit my needs. I will post the results on how well my finished setup stands up to the task, good or bad.

100ft of 5/16 aircraft wire rope 7 strands 19 wires per strand, Breaking strength 9800 lbs. working load limit 1960 lbs. with shipping less than $35

GG~

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was going to suggest the old spiral 10-12" round duct work, stuff is tough, and is always an easy to get in recycling junk yard.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was going to suggest the old spiral 10-12" round duct work, stuff is tough, and is always an easy to get in recycling junk yard.

I do like the chute idea, but in this case the terrain sort of puts it out of the question. I believe if you saw what we are up against in person you would have to agree.
The duct work is a good suggestion, one I will keep in mind for future use when the situation allows.

At first thought it seems to me it would be very bulky to fit 100 ft of duct work into my jeep with all the other supplies I haul, more time consuming to unload and get into position and connected in such a way as to not have any areas that wouldn't clear all the material and cause a back up since the terrain is up and down over boulders and plants. Getting it into position to keep a steady and steep enough angle for uninterrupted flow of gravels and dirt would be a somewhat labor intensive and time consuming proposition, not to mention trying to get it all supported properly to handle the load. Every dent and connection would also be a potential trouble spot.

I still like the zipline idea for ease of setup and delivery.
Once I carry it up the hill, it can be all set up and ready to go in 10 min. or less. :icon_thumright:

GG~

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
If you use a side offset pulley you can support the cable occasionally mid way or where ever, eliminating your sag issue. The load passes right around. Think old barn overhead systems. I use those on my wood crib sliding doors and have a bunch from the neighbors old manure handling system abandonment. He was trashing them !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sue a side offset pulley you can support the cable occasionally mid way or where ever, eliminating your sag issue. The load passes right around. Think old barn overhead systems. I use those on my wood crib sliding doors and have a bunch from the neighbors old manure handling system abandonment. He as trashing them !!!

Excellent idea!
Especially if /when I need to use a longer cable. Pretty sure I have the sag issue under control now that I'm going to be using wire cable instead of a cheap rope.

At this point I'm only going 100 ft. The taller tripod plus a taller connection at the Jeep will also help with the height issue off the ground. Plus I am going to use a shorter lighter bucket connection coming off the cable as well as using a shorter bucket hauling less weight saving me 6-8" of length from cable to bottom of bucket than what it was on the original field test.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could just put less weight in the original bucket :)

That is also on the table for the next field test!
Truth be told, I have just as much fun tinkering with my equipment as I do finding Gold :tongue3:

* Hmmm not sure that came out just right :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For putting tension on the cable, there's a come-a-long, fence tensioners, then again getting the sag out of 100ft of cable takes a bit of strength.

Have you ever looked at these kits (just for ideas, or parts)
https://www.ziplinestop.com/collections/zip-line-kits

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For putting tension on the cable, there's a come-a-long, fence tensioners, then again getting the sag out of 100ft of cable takes a bit of strength.

Have you ever looked at these kits (just for ideas, or parts)
https://www.ziplinestop.com/collections/zip-line-kits

Thanks for the link Pepperj,
And yes I do have a good come-a-long as well as a heavy duty hand crank boat winch.

You are absolutely right about the force needed to pull the sag out.
I was surprised how much it took on my first attempt as I was cranking the boat winch to pull the sag out of the cheap rope.

One of the legs on the roller stand I used started to fail plus I was afraid the rope would snap at any moment if I continued cranking so I called my first attempt a fail and went back to the drawing board. Hence this thread and more research to gather ideas.

I have since been researching zipline videos and websites for more info. It's really not rocket science but setting up a fairly lightweight, portable but yet strong enough unit to support the load does come with its challenges.

Pretty sure I have all that worked out at this point but not calling success until proven in actual field testing.

Thanks again for your input,
GG~

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm anxiously waiting to see what you come up with for the dump bucket! Maybe a remote wireless controlled electric door on the bottom! :notworthy:

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm anxiously waiting to see what you come up with for the dump bucket! Maybe a remote wireless controlled electric door on the bottom! :notworthy:

I like the way you think wildminer :icon_thumleft:
Perhaps I could also add the chute idea to dump into and have it feed the drywasher continuously and automatically between bucket dumps.

Sounds good but I will try and follow the KISS principal as best I can. Besides, I need to keep my partner busy earning his share.

GG~

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was thinking of an auto-dump for the bucket.
The rate of speed hitting a stationary block-result bucket cracking/breaking.

Bucket comes down hits a padded bar just high enough on bucket to cause it to tip over in the direction of travel.(Straight into washer)
If it could be mastered a person could then pull bucket back up, fill let go, repeat. One person operation basically....

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of an auto-dump for the bucket.
The rate of speed hitting a stationary block-result bucket cracking/breaking.

Bucket comes down hits a padded bar just high enough on bucket to cause it to tip over in the direction of travel.(Straight into washer)
If it could be mastered a person could then pull bucket back up, fill let go, repeat. One person operation basically....

Problem with a drywasher, it needs a steady flow of material to be efficient, the spaces between the riffles need to be covered at all times due to the air following the path of least resistance. Once the air is not aerating the material for the gold to drop it will ride on top and off the end of the drywasher.

Controlling the bucket speed down the wire is not going to be a problem, using the secondary line attached from the pulley to the wind up reel will enable me to control the speed . Once the pulley is halted at the stop, the bucket, supported by the bail will only swing back and forth and will not be near anything to impact.

I am fairly certain that I will also be able to control the bucket destination speed by fine tuning the amount of sag in the zipline so that the bucket will naturally slow as it traverses the uphill section of the sag before the stop.

There is no practical way for this to be a one man operation, trust me on that one.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tripod ready.

Whole assembly including bucket and line only 43 lbs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The telescoping leg extensions if needed, sledge hammer, stakes, and tie down straps will add around another 15-20 lbs. so I've hit my target of 50-60 lbs. for the initial carry uphill. Total cost around $100. More than I wanted to spend but it will pay for itself in saved trips hiking up and down hill all day.

Check out that bucket purchased at C-A-L Ranch $9.95, heavy duty, notched bail, shorter depth, still holds 5gal. :icon_thumleft:
Now just waiting for the wire cable to arrive so I can field test it.

GG~

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 240
  • carry.jpg
    carry.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread