Two More Shield Nickels

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been alternating between the Legend and Etrac and the last two times I have used the Legend, I have found Shield nickels. The first was only 7 inches deep at my favorite park. That day I only found the Shield and one wheat penny. Yesterday I hit a spot where I have found at least 20 Indian heads and an equal amount of V nickels. Yesterday was the first time using the Legend at this spot and I had a good chance at finding one or two deep V nickels, or so I thought. My first coin was flashing 23 to 26 and was barely audible. I knew it was going to be a deep nickel and I was not disappointed. Not a V, but better yet another Shield. It was by far the deepest nickel I have ever dug. Slightly deeper than my pinpointer. No other old coins, but a great day none the less.

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding! When I was a kid back 60 years ago, I was mowing a lawn when the sun glinted from something under a nearby tree. Curious, I walked over and spied a small strip of silver-colored metal in a crack in the ground. I pulled out a shield nickel, an 1857 I believe. What were the odds of me just happening to be at the exact right angle to make it reflect light? Incredible.
I later traded it for a pair of vice grips, which I still have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread