Found a big deposit! Finally.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For several years I’ve prospected my area. I’ve hit nearly every creek and river in 30 miles. Mostly gravel bars as Ohio gold tends to be pretty small. I traveled up a little creek a bit further than I had in the past. Tested a gravel bar just around a sharp corner and BANG! 40-50 specks. Pan after pan it’s holding strong. The largest chunky black sand, garnets and mixed iron stone and verity’s mjnerals I’ve found to date.

After about 20 pans in and I’ve found this deposit is about 200’ long and as wide as 20’. The real kicker, there’s bedrock about 3-4’ below this bar, I can see it exposed on the fast side of the river.

Freaking tickled fellers!

I’ll try and post some decent pictures once I get to doing some real work.

Upvote 34

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe it’s different in Ohio, but
on the west coast, disturbing the ground and removing GOLD from private property (without permission) equates to Criminal Trespass in most situations. Regardless of what other people are doing or if I’m being respectful removing the gold.

Fishing, boating, hiking, swimming, hunting, recreating along streams ect. has ZERO to do with disturbance and removal of GOLD.

Am I way off base here?

Prospecting on private property without permission, in hopes of finding a big deposit is a waste of time, in my opinion since someone else owns the deposit. Kind of like prospecting on an absentee claim.
This has little to do with the topic of finding a large deposit and the 'recreational enjoyment' of a deposit.

The question of Criminal Trespass is asked?

Within “The State of Oregon” the phrase “Criminal Trespass” is not defined within the code. The word “Trespass” is also not defined. With this being said the phrase “Criminal Action” is defined in just one location and should be checked out. Words and phrases are important.

The word "Prospecting" is not defined within "The State of Oregon" code with the exception of "Grubstake".

Getting written permission for recreation digging is important here.

PS. you will find "Criminal Action" defined at one location within "The State of Oregon" "PENAL CODE".

Last edited:

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has little to do with the topic of finding a large deposit and the 'recreational enjoyment' of a deposit.

The question of Criminal Trespass is asked?

Within “The State of Oregon” the phrase “Criminal Trespass” is not defined within the code. The word “Trespass” is also not defined. With this being said the phrase “Criminal Action” is defined in just one location and should be checked out. Words and phrases are important.

The word "Prospecting" is not defined within "The State of Oregon" code with the exception of "Grubstake".

Getting written permission for recreation digging is important here.
Dare you to try to use your word salad as an excuse in Oregon. Not going to fly with a land owner or the law.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dare you to try to use your word salad as an excuse in Oregon. Not going to fly with a land owner or the law.
No dare is or word salad is needed.

What is not going to 'fly with a land owner or the law' is doing a of unlawful act or of lawful act in unlawful manner to injury of another's person or property.

In Latin Trespass de bonis asportatis.

Getting owners written permission is very important here.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the west coast, disturbing the ground and removing GOLD from private property (without permission) equates to Criminal Trespass in most situations. Regardless of what other people are doing or if I’m being respectful removing the gold.

Fishing, boating, hiking, swimming, hunting, recreating along streams ect. has ZERO to do with disturbance and removal of GOLD.

Am I way off base here?

Prospecting on private property without permission, in hopes of finding a big deposit is a waste of time, in my opinion since someone else owns the deposit. Kind of like prospecting on an absentee claim.

Am I way off base here?

I understand what your saying and your post re ignited my interest in the exact property ownership. I have started the process of trying to find a contact in that collage that can provide me with written approval.

I would like to point out that while this deposit is large in size and relative speck count the gold and any value gained from it is not. Being a hobby prospector in Ohio is like owning a bass boat. I’ll never recover enough flower gold to even pay for my gear. This is not a gold heist! Lol

Though I understand your criminal trespass laws in commiefornia are there to protect land owners from possibly loosing a fortune in recoverable minerals what I’ll find at the bottom of any hole I dig around here is a few tiny bits of gold and a sore back.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I understand what your saying and your post re ignited my interest in the exact property ownership. I have started the process of trying to find a contact in that collage that can provide me with written approval.

I would like to point out that while this deposit is large in size and relative speck count the gold and any value gained from it is not. Being a hobby prospector in Ohio is like owning a bass boat. I’ll never recover enough flower gold to even pay for my gear. This is not a gold heist! Lol

Though I understand your criminal trespass laws in commiefornia are there to protect land owners from possibly loosing a fortune in recoverable minerals what I’ll find at the bottom of any hole I dig around here is a few tiny bits of gold and a sore back.
Did not the source determined to be proven to come from Canada?

Maybe I'm incorrect in pointing out that Ohio State is well surveyed to show little to no volcanic activity as well as no substantial mineral deposits of this type?

The Collage or others can likely look this type of information up in a short time.
Let us wait and see what the OP and others come up with as far as information.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While I don’t disagree with your portrayal of the California Gov. , the law is there to protect land owners from random folks digging holes, removing vegetation, getting hurt, removing any objects, ect. without permission (even for fly specks of gold). Seems completely reasonable and prudent to me. These type laws were enacted in the 1800’s to protect private property rights.

The term “recreational digging” was mentioned earlier. What you want to do is get written permission to become a recreational user (of the land). Since there are laws in Ohio that provide immunity to private land owners from liability that may arise from authorized recreational use by the public or specific authorized people.

There is real liability associated with folks digging 4 foot deep holes. I know a guy that was digging about 4 feet to bedrock and had a boulder roll down onto his leg, trapping him in water and breaking all the bones in his lower leg. He had to be air lifted out. He would have died if he had not had a mining partner there.

Perhaps if it was presented as “gold panning” they might be agreeable, but I suspect it would be opening Pandora’s box for them since you mentioned there are already open holes from other folks mining.

I’ve seen how this turns out on a rich piece of city owned ground that was off the beaten path. The fever gets the best of folks.

Garytman

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2024
For several years I’ve prospected my area. I’ve hit nearly every creek and river in 30 miles. Mostly gravel bars as Ohio gold tends to be pretty small. I traveled up a little creek a bit further than I had in the past. Tested a gravel bar just around a sharp corner and BANG! 40-50 specks. Pan after pan it’s holding strong. The largest chunky black sand, garnets and mixed iron stone and verity’s mjnerals I’ve found to date.

After about 20 pans in and I’ve found this deposit is about 200’ long and as wide as 20’. The real kicker, there’s bedrock about 3-4’ below this bar, I can see it exposed on the fast side of the river.

How far did you have to dig down in this gravel bed? I'm guessing 4 to 5" I'm curious to see if there is gold in my area as well. I want to head near Mcconells Mills in that area. I live near Pittsburgh. I am a beginner and have only found gold in Tenesse once. There was a small creek and I found a few flakes years ago.

Garytman

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2024
How far did you have to dig down in this gravel bed? I'm guessing 4 to 5" I'm curious to see if there is gold in my area as well. I want to head near Mcconells Mills in that area. I live near Pittsburgh. I am a beginner and have only found gold in Tenesse once. There was a small creek and I found a few flakes years ago.
I am excited to see pictures if you have them. Also the area I am heading to is McConnels Mills and the surrounding area. Slippery Rock creek as well.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While I don’t disagree with your portrayal of the California Gov. , the law is there to protect land owners from random folks digging holes, removing vegetation, getting hurt, removing any objects, ect. without permission (even for fly specks of gold). Seems completely reasonable and prudent to me. These type laws were enacted in the 1800’s to protect private property rights.
What comes to the mind first is the laws already in place to address the issues of property rights. For example:
“Mineral Land Entry” first comes to mind as filing a claim to hold or purchase lands belonging to the public domain and valuable for the minerals they contain, implying a prior discovery of ore and the opening of a mine. California has a time frame of 90 days for example. Oregon has a time frame of 60 days etc.

“Entryman” One who makes an entry of land under the public land laws of the United States. I may be incorrect of pointing out 2 years at the Federal level?

“Enumeratio unius est exclusio Alterius” The specification of one thing is the exclusion of a different thing.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The nice factor of a shallow dig is a lot less to back fill in and clean up. Digging a few feet to get a few flakes is a lot bigger process.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What comes to the mind first is the laws already in place to address the issues of property rights. For example:
“Mineral Land Entry” first comes to mind as filing a claim to hold or purchase lands belonging to the public domain and valuable for the minerals they contain, implying a prior discovery of ore and the opening of a mine. California has a time frame of 90 days for example. Oregon has a time frame of 60 days etc.

“Entryman” One who makes an entry of land under the public land laws of the United States. I may be incorrect of pointing out 2 years at the Federal level?

“Enumeratio unius est exclusio Alterius” The specification of one thing is the exclusion of a different thing.
What are you talking about?

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true
Many times flood plain placer gold deposits are located in fairly thin layers, sometimes on the surface. Digging deeper might only pollute your “pay layer”.

Have you considered a gold mining vacation? There are places that offer a cabin and access to legal mining ground and mining equipment. You get to take home your share of the operation. I ran across a place in Wimer, Oregon that did this at a good profit to the owner and great satisfaction of the clients. Likely many places that offer this in areas located in gold belts.

Garytman

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2024
Many times flood plain placer gold deposits are located in fairly thin layers, sometimes on the surface. Digging deeper might only pollute your “pay layer”.

Have you considered a gold mining vacation? There are places that offer a cabin and access to legal mining ground and mining equipment. You get to take home your share of the operation. I ran across a place in Wimer, Oregon that did this at a good profit to the owner and great satisfaction of the clients. Likely many places that offer this in areas located in gold belts.
Wow i never thought of just skimming the surface. So that could be a technique for a first pan. And then dig deeper if you don't have any colors? That "gold mining vacation" sounds interesting for sure. We just came back from our cruise to the Bahamas, and decided next year we are going to rent a house by the beach in OBX North Carolina. My wife and I love looking for seashells and sea glass, collecting rocks etc. We haven't really done much of this together yet except looking for seashells and a small amount of snorkeling in Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.
That does sound fun though! Thank you for the suggestion.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow i never thought of just skimming the surface. So that could be a technique for a first pan. And then dig deeper if you don't have any colors? That "gold mining vacation" sounds interesting for sure. We just came back from our cruise to the Bahamas, and decided next year we are going to rent a house by the beach in OBX North Carolina. My wife and I love looking for seashells and sea glass, collecting rocks etc. We haven't really done much of this together yet except looking for seashells and a small amount of snorkeling in Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.
That does sound fun though! Thank you for the suggestion.
You can make it a lot easier on yourself if you look in regions that have had commercial gold mining as a local economy at one time.

But yes, if you’re going to sample, you would want to sample it in layers.

Maybe the OP can elaborate how they went about finding their deposit (if I have not ran them off from their own thread).

Garytman

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2024
You can make it a lot easier on yourself if you look in regions that have had commercial gold mining as a local economy at one time.

But yes, if you’re going to sample, you would want to sample it in layers.

Maybe the OP can elaborate how they went about finding their deposit (if I have not ran them off from their own thread).
I am a firm believer that gold can be found anywhere in the world. Since I'm in my state I'm excited to look for it. I'm not looking to get rich, it's more of an enjoyment and curiosity to me. I have a done some research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread