Copper rods vs. steel rods vs. ???

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Any dowsers care to share their thoughts on the materials that should be used to make a pair of L-rods? I've made a pair out of copper electrical wire. I see that most of the advice out here is to make them out of coat hangers. Is that because you think that steel is better? Or is it just because, in the past, that type of hanger was readily available? Other than a willow branch, are there other materials that dowsers claim works better than others?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey jb7487……The reason that you hear so much about coat hangers is that they are free. I recommend that if someone wants to see if Dowsing will work for them to try coat hangers. If it does not work or if they decide it is not for them they have spent nothing.
I have tried iron, steel, stainless steel, copper, brass, Plastic and wood rods..They all work for me. I always go back to 3/16 inch brass rods. I can’t tell you why because I don’t know. I have tried all kinds of different handles but I prefer using just the rod. Again I can’t tell you why but they feel good to me….Art

sodak

Greenie
Apr 21, 2009
My take on the metal fo choice has been copper wire(romex) about 16 inches long,, I have never had any luck withwood or anything other than a metal.. tying a bit of the substance you are searching for may help you,,, miners in the hills long ago found beryllium this way in the overburden of the old lithium mines in Black Hills region. Hope this helps.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sodak said:
My take on the metal fo choice has been copper wire(romex) about 16 inches long,, I have never had any luck withwood or anything other than a metal.. tying a bit of the substance you are searching for may help you,,, miners in the hills long ago found beryllium this way in the overburden of the old lithium mines in Black Hills region. Hope this helps.

Is the 16" the whole wire or after the bend for the handle?
And how long for the handle?

Thanks,

GG~

sodak

Greenie
Apr 21, 2009
heres what I do...... cut about 16" from the end of a roll of romex(house wire) take the ground lead first since it has no insulation,,,next take either of the two remaining and strip the insulation off,,, you now have two lengths of bare wire ,16" long,,, bend them over at about one fourth their length to form an "L",, thats enough to rest in your unclenched fist,, the wires should twist around easily in your loose grasp,, they will cross over a target,,, no handles at all, the wires must make contact with your skin, later I will present my theory of how these rods operate,, and I think I have the answer.... all lengths are approximate,, no need to accurately measure anything,,,, close to 16" is good....
one more thing.. one wire usually is a fraction of an inch longer than the other,,, use this one alone. to locate the direction of a cave or void underground,,,, good hunting

OP
OP
J

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Thanks everyone. Sodak, that's exactly what I did to make my rods. I used 12-2 romex, used the ground wire first and then stripped one of the other wires. Good to know I'm doing it right. I was using soda straws as the handles and they seemed to allow the rods to turn freely. But they insulate the rods from contact with my hands. I was actually getting better results without the straws but I was worried it was only because I was able to exert force directly on the rods thus allowing me to cheat.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep on practicing with my bare hands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread