Home built in 1801 finally begins to reveals her secrets

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the last 2 weeks, I have been hunting a new permission in a rural farming town. The home was built in 1801 and while I was finding some interesting (mostly modern) items, I just couldn't understand why I was not finding any period artifacts. Yesterday, upon returning for a second hunt, I finally figured out that the places I had been hunting (front and back yards) around the old farm house had been heavily altered in the last 50 years. As I made my way to the sides of the house (places where previous owners had spent less time landscaping apparently), I finally made kinds of period finds I was hoping for. I found two pristine large cents within 2 feet of one another. Other items: a lead ink well, a huge pair of scissors, etc.

While not as old, other items includes: a H B & H El Dorado Oil Kerosene Lamp Brass Burner, a lead horse toy, a Philgas padlock (circa 1940s), a bunch of fairly modern foreign coins (somebody had a coin collection that the kids got into).

It was really fun to see this House begin to tell its story. It was also a good reminder that that you have to take into account modern landscaping and the way it may mask certain targets on older properties. I also want to add that the Equinox 800 was amazing. Many of these artifacts were found in close proximity to nails and other garbage. Very impressive. Was hunting in F2 Iron bias (setting 6) and Field 2 Modes. The depth capability of this detector is also very impressive.

Attachments

• IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Upvote 41
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very well done, congrats! Expand that search the goodies are there!:occasion14:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loved the narrative. It must have been very exciting when those first period pieces started popping up out of the earth.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great load of stuff!
Those coins are great!
That Lincoln wheat cent might clean up to 1914-D...!
It's an oldie, none-the-less...! :thumbsup:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an excellent hunt. Nice assortment of coins and relics. You didn't mention the powder flask in the group picture between the spoon bowl and scissors. That would be your second best find of the hunt for me.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Largies! Love the old powder flask as well, Congrats!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite is the large cents. And, the report on the 800. The more reports like that I read, the more I want one. Gary

OP
OP
OhioTrevor

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All, Thanks for the encouragement!

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, great hunt! Congrats!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!!!
I've been hunting house that dates from 1896. I found one old coin from 1905 and an old buckle... but there is just so many nails it's hard to even find a target to dig!!! Any suggestions? I have the bounty hunter land ranger pro.

OP
OP
OhioTrevor

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MVgirl, Thanks. I musts say that the Equinox does a really good job picking relics from the midst of nails and other garbage. The other thing that has helped me in trashy areas are a smaller coil. That's about all I can think of. Good luck!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MVgirl, Thanks. I musts say that the Equinox does a really good job picking relics from the midst of nails and other garbage. The other thing that has helped me in trashy areas are a smaller coil. That's about all I can think of. Good luck!

K thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions