The Fluted Point Club

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After seeing Dognose’s Clovis, I was thinking how lucky he is, and anyone else is, finding a fluted point. It’s kind of the holy grail of personal finds. So I’m starting an exclusive tnet club for fluted point finders. I’m nominating Dognose for member #1. Here’s his Clovis and it’s a stunner!
IMG_3950.jpeg

I’ll claim the #2 spot. My Clovis is a wimp compared to Dognose’s but it’s the real deal.
IMG_3951.jpeg

Post your fluted point find and claim your membership number. Clovis, Folsom, Cumberland, Barnes, Redstone, and just a couple of other obscure fluted points qualify. Personal finds only! Fragments of fluted points count as long as fluting is obvious. Show me some flutes!

Upvote 15
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe some day for me but not today, how big is your Clovis?
About 1 3/4”. Used up but still complete. I found another one, just a base made of Indy green, on a friends site and gave it to him. I’ll get a pic of it later.
Older The Better has the right idea. Something for size reference would be best.
IMG_3955.jpeg

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
To clarify the history of that clovis ToddsPoint speaks of, that point was actually found by a buddy of mine who I have hunted with a number of times, and who found the insanely rare great pipe in Madison County - James Laswell. He ilves not too far from me in Anderson Indiana, Madison County.

See
The Laswell Great Effigy Pipe
The James Laswell Clovis

James is a heck of guy. We were hunting one day about 8 years ago, and he found TWO paleo point bases. Talk about having the eye.

1709917998366.png

I found a complete clovis many years ago - 03/09/1997, and a number of broken bases, and one midsection. The complete clovis is made of Attica chert, with a small spokeshave curve on the blade close to the tip.

I lost best find at an Indiana society CSASI show to a Thebes.

The base is not broken, nor is the top. But have been knapped in that form, no idea why. The point was tip out of the dirt, in a well plowed field. Many Attica chert flakes found all around the relic. I called Darrell over to let him pull the relic out.

1709917487861.png

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the Attica green Clovis base I found. I attempted a restoration on the tip. I got the green color close but the stripes with grey mixed in was too much for my skills. This was found with a broken T drill and I happened to find both pieces. On another rise in the field not 100 yds away we find Madison triangles.
IMG_3964.jpeg
IMG_3963.jpeg
IMG_3965.jpeg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a heavily worn hornstone clovis I found years ago. I was unsure but had the state archeologist confirm it. He was an expert in Paleo Indians. John Brewster.

IMG_8438.jpg
IMG_8438.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a double fluted Dalton I found a couple years back by the river where Donkeys would roll in the dust . Spotted it from a tractor while bush hogging! It is the finest Dalton I have ever found.
IMG_8439.jpg

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Nebraska and Kansas Clovis Points
I posted this image on a Facebook group several days ago and thought it would fit the fluted theme on Toddspoint fluted theme here on Tnet.

These seven Clovis points are personal finds by my dad and myself found in south central Nebraska and north central Kansas.
Starting together in the late 1950’s as a father-son team we hunted together for a little over five decades.

MammothMural-Clovis finds.jpg

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nebraska and Kansas Clovis Points
I posted this image on a Facebook group several days ago and thought it would fit the fluted theme on Toddspoint fluted theme here on Tnet.

These seven Clovis points are personal finds by my dad and myself found in south central Nebraska and north central Kansas.
Starting together in the late 1950’s as a father-son team we hunted together for a little over five decades.

View attachment 2136080
Amazing! I wish I had found a fluted point to share. All these are great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a nice paleo dognose but we’re looking for personal finds from Tnet members.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
This is a transitional Paleo agate basin point I found in 1990. Laying flat on top when I first flipped it I thought it was just a flake at only 1.75 inches in length, and very thin. basal grinding extends up both sides. you can sort of see it in the image.

1710015848886.png

samwordon

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2024
That wild! An original Clovis with the original dirt. You certainly have good self control.
Is that sarcasm. I can’t tell. That’s ok if it is, I just don’t know much about native artifacts and really want to learn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread