Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    May 2007
    Columbus Ohio
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
    31 times
    Banner Finds (1)

2009 Year in Review (or Why the E-Trac is awesome)

Well, I was out on Dec. 31 in the cold and snow looking for silver coin #300. I came home with a pocket of clad, that last one was just too elusive. Hopefully this is not a sign of what's to come in 2010! So, now I take stock and look back at a really fabulous year of detecting thanks to the Minelab E-Trac, which has definitely paid for iteslf in just 9 months (I started the detecting year mid-March with my Minelab Explorer SE).

$349.63 in clad coins
    Over 4,700 total coins and tokens.
    299 silver coins, 1244 wheat cent
    Dozens of rings, most silver, two gold.

2009 was my 19th year of detecting, but by far this was truly the best year ever. In 2009, I found my first large cent and oldest coin, dated 1820. Then just a few weeks later, a second large cent, 1844. I found my oldest silver coin, a beautiful XF 1833 bust dime, which amazingly came from the most heavily detected park in the city.

Dog licenses dating back to 1924, a small tribe of Indian cents, two Civil War storecard tokens, nickels of every sort...

It's been great fun and a great challenge. I started the year aiming for 100 silver coins, thinking I would be quite lucky to get that many. Instead, with the E-Trac, I quickly surpassed my initial goal for the year. A friend and fellow E-Trac user, Dave and I have pulled over 550 silver coins from local parks and schools in 2009 and we both wonder what we will do in 2010, as many of our old haunts are not hunted out, but finds are few and far between. We muse about larger or smaller coils, what could possibly give us more of an edge to be able to do as well again in the coming year.

You can see in the first picture the silver coins I found using White's and Fisher detectors 1990-2007 (about 225), the silver coins found in 2008 with the Explorer SE (52) and the pile from 2009 with the E-Trac (and a little bit of the Explorer, 299). I'm still amazed when I look at these totals.

I still was not able to add a seated coin to my collection, so this will definitely be one of my goals for 2010. I may also have a goal of 2010 wheat cents, which should fill a half gallon mason jar. But as always, I am open to finding whatever ends up under the coil! Good luck to all in the coming year!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009 3 piles of silver copy.jpg 
Views:	1097 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	360246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009 barber.jpg 
Views:	1093 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	360247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009 indians.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	360248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009 nickels.jpg 
Views:	1080 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	360249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009 SLQ.jpg 
Views:	1068 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	360250  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009 washington.jpg 
Views:	1070 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	360251  
    WWW.OHIOMETALDETECTING.COM

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac
    567 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: 2009 Year in Review (or Why the E-Trac is awesome)

totally awesome! I sure hope I am as lucky with mine!
    Debby

seger98

Very impressive totals, I take it that those silvers from 2009 came from much of the same area that the previous silvers came from? Cuz that would be real impressive for the minelab.

us
    May 2007
    Columbus Ohio
    31 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by seger98
    Very impressive totals, I take it that those silvers from 2009 came from much of the same area that the previous silvers came from? Cuz that would be real impressive for the minelab.
    Correct. The silver coins from 2009 came from much of the same areas that the previous silvers came from. It is very impressive.

Oct 2006
    18 times

Very Impressive silver finds Nick!I bet finding that Bust dime just about knocked you on your rear.The Explorer-Etrac series are the premier Silver shooters out there.I started using an Explorer last Summer and in the last 4 months of'08 found 70 silver coins.In 2009 I found 243 silver coins,way more than White's and Fisher I used before.Again congrats and hopefully more sites will come your way in 2020.

seger98

Quote Originally Posted by Nick A (at1cad)
    Quote Originally Posted by seger98
    Correct. The silver coins from 2009 came from much of the same areas that the previous silvers came from. It is very impressive.

I have a X-terra 70, I use to have a Soverign GT (also minelab) but when it nulls out it takes so long for it to recover I missed alot, I had my best year this year as well I think because of the X-terra becuase it recovers so much faster & a lot of my finds were in areas I covered many times before with the GT! Good luck..

us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    3486 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Well done Nic ! Very nice collection and display. Congrats on a great year.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Dec 2004

Outstanding finds!!!

I'm curious to know how the Etrac differs from the EX SE?

Why/how does the Etrac "find" more silver than the SE?

Thanks and hope 2010 is as good as 2009 was for you!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadLizard7
    Outstanding finds!!!

Thanks and hope 2010 is as good as 2009 was for you!

Great totals but the question I would have is if the E-trac finds so much more than why use the Explorer even a little?

PS... There is no high end detetor that will beat another 200-52 unless there is much different circumstances involved.

us
    May 2007
    Columbus Ohio
    31 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by DeadLizard7
    I firmly believe the Explorer Se and the E-Trac are fairly evenly matched. However, the interface (meter, settings, etc) are much more user friendly on the E-Trac. On the Explorer, I was using the Smartfind screen, and had to try to learn and remember where everything came in on the grid, and what were good bounces and bad bounces. With the E-Trac there is much less ambiguity and guesswork on my part. It's almost as if it says, "dig here!" This is just my personal preference as I know many like the Explorer better than the E-Trac.

Also my learning curve with the E-Trac was about zero, as the sounds are the same (to me) as the Explorer, so I did not have to retrain my ears.

us
    Oct 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    DFX
    3 times

Quite a year Nick; congrats. Amazing bust dime. It's crazy how so much came from sites you've been working already.

us
    May 2007
    Sunny South Florida
    White's Surf PI Pro, White's Dual Field, Garrett Ace 250
    15 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Wow, made a believer out of me. You had a terrific year. Congrats and here's to an even better 2010.
    FINDING NEEDLES IN HAYSTACKS, IT'S WHAT I DO.

us
    Jul 2008
    SE Michigan

Looks like you had a very,very great year, Congrats!

Do you have an in-line probe?Been considering getting one for my Explorer SE. Started usingthe EX SE on April the 15th of this year and scored a 111 silver coins w/ it.

Good luck,
    HH.

us
    May 2007
    Columbus Ohio
    31 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by BandB1
    Do you have an in-line probe?Been considering getting one for my Explorer SE. Started using the EX SE on April the 15th of this year and scored a 111 silver coins w/ it.
    Congrats on your 111 silver! That's awesome!

Yes, I have the Sun Ray probe. I first started using them on my Fisher CZ's and LOVE them. I vowed a a few years back never to buy another detector that did not have a Sun Ray probe for it. It makes recoveries so fast and easy. I like that it uses the detector electronics (so it's like a mini coil... it still has target ID and pinpoint function), uses no batteries, and stows ON the detector... nothing to lose or forget. Worth every penny. I have a Sun Ray probe on every detector I own.

us
    Jan 2008
    NorthWest Ohio
    Minelab E-Trac, and X-70
    1213 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

great year Nick! Sure would have been cool to get that #300 but hey you can't complain!

Is that pic of the indians everyone you got this year? It seems like thru-out the yr you found more than that, I am shocked you don't have a lot more injuns with all that silver. Think you will break 300 in 2010?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors