Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    us
    Jan 2008
    NorthWest Ohio
    Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
    2312 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Extra Large with the works - 2010 wrap up

superb finds, congrats on a great season!

May 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Garrett AT Gold
    262 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch
    Quote Originally Posted by mainer
    Oh yeah I forgot to ask who won the war? The dirtyville boys or the PA boys?

I hope to someday dig atleast one of those jews harp. Seem's I ought to have one by now, guess I just havent got my coil over one yet.
    The PA boys surrendered even before Ironhorse got in his first hunt. True!
    We won, mainer. IP knows it as well. Rare CTs, rare 18th century copper pipe, rare General Lafayette wax seal, rare 1844 James K. Polk political medal, 1773 VA copper, Pistareen, and a ton of early relics.

PA boys for 2011!

Kirk
    Keep the passion high!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk PA

I hope to someday dig atleast one of those jews harp. Seem's I ought to have one by now, guess I just havent got my coil over one yet.
    We won, mainer. IP knows it as well. Rare CTs, rare 18th century copper pipe, rare General Lafayette wax seal, rare 1844 James K. Polk political medal, 1773 VA copper, Pistareen, and a ton of early relics.

PA boys for 2011!

Kirk

You can't win when you quit. Maybe a lesson for 2011!

us
    Feb 2007
    East Central Florida WP
    Whites XLT / M6
    19 times

Some very nice finds you have there. I would have to agree that you had a very good year.

Congrats.

Ray S ECenFL
    Ray S ECenFL

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver µMax
    6244 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I bet you've dug a pile of harmonica reeds though. It seems like there was one year it changed. If your sites date before that year you get harps, and after, reeds. I might have dug maybe a couple small pieces of harmonica, but 6 jews harps, and at least 4 or 5 more pieces or harp. But you know I'd trade em all to see jabs into the other side of his face.
    You're exactly right. And it seems that year was between 1800 and 1820. Only two brass harps found in KY and Southern Indiana by the Iron Brigade, and one or two iron ones--out of hundreds and hundreds of different sites over five years of digging by multiple hunters. I'm sure they're out there, but it tells me that the popularity of harmonicas had already arisen by the time Kentucky was settled--and the few, rare Jews Harps we've found were leftovers that folks brought with them (same thing with the large "Dandy" buttons, which are almost as scarce in Southern Indiana).

In terms of finds, those are excellent, IP! That cannonball is the icing on the cake. What's its weight?
    2019 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    Solid Gold Monogrammed Thimble, c. 1840-50
    Civil War ID Disc
    1826 2 Reales
    Louisiana Pelican Civil War Button
    Eagle Cuff Button
    Eagle "I" Coat Button
    Colonial silver shoe buckle piece
    Boxlock Pistol hammer plate
    1865 2 Cent Piece
    1788, 1819 and one dateless Half Reale
    1848-O and 1854 Half Dimes
    1842-O, 1858, 1876-S and 1888 Seated Dimes
    1898 Hong Kong Dime Silver Coin (Queen Victoria)
    1905-O Barber Dime
    1942 and 1944-D Washington Quarters
    2 Silver "War Nickels"
    Silver "Indian Head" badge
    Maynard Carbine casings (Civil War)
    Louisiana Knights Templar Badge
    Shield Nickels
    V Nackles, Beefalo knuckles and Gaw Gag

OUR 2018 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...nths-late.html
    OUR 2017 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ts-photos.html
    OUR 2016 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post5286759
    OUR 2015 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...what-year.html
    OUR 2014 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...lots-pics.html
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckleBoy
    I bet you've dug a pile of harmonica reeds though. It seems like there was one year it changed. If your sites date before that year you get harps, and after, reeds. I might have dug maybe a couple small pieces of harmonica, but 6 jews harps, and at least 4 or 5 more pieces or harp. But you know I'd trade em all to see jabs into the other side of his face.
    You're exactly right. And it seems that year was between 1800 and 1820. Only two brass harps found in KY and Southern Indiana by the Iron Brigade, and one or two iron ones--out of hundreds and hundreds of different sites over five years of digging by multiple hunters. I'm sure they're out there, but it tells me that the popularity of harmonicas had already arisen by the time Kentucky was settled--and the few, rare Jews Harps we've found were leftovers that folks brought with them (same thing with the large "Dandy" buttons, which are almost as scarce in Southern Indiana).

In terms of finds, those are excellent, IP! That cannonball is the icing on the cake. What's its weight?

Even here the the flat buttons don't turn up everywhere and are usually good sign it's an old site.

The ball is 10lbs. There are a couple of lines in it and I believe cleaning might reveal the rest of a broad arrow.

us
    I Often Find Myself Killing Time Looking For What Time Has Killed!

Feb 2009
    Morehead City / Newport NC
    Minelab E-Trac
    945 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Yep another good year for you Ip. I was just sitting here wondering how in the world does he and alot of the guy's up North of me find so many button's. Then it hit me our(southern) other finds seem to be close in comparison other than your cannon balls items.My theory on the button count though is that it being colder up there meaning they wore more clothes so more buttons to be loss.Sounds good anyway.
    Take Care,
    Pete
    Them Colonials​Can't Hide Nowhere Now!

May 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Garrett AT Gold
    262 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Timekiller
    Yep another good year for you Ip. I was just sitting here wondering how in the world does he and alot of the guy's up North of me find so many button's. Then it hit me our(southern) other finds seem to be close in comparison other than your cannon balls items.My theory on the button count though is that it being colder up there meaning they wore more clothes so more buttons to be loss.Sounds good anyway.
    Take Care,
    Pete
    I only dug 90 buttons this year. Very good point, Pete! It looks like he dug around 600.

Kirk
    Keep the passion high!

Quote Originally Posted by Timekiller
    Take Care,
    Pete
    I only dug 90 buttons this year. Very good point, Pete! It looks like he dug around 600.

Kirk

Think my total was somewhere between 450-500. Remember we find quite a few new sites per year, and just a so so hunt can produce over 10 buttons. I've had two years that i dug about 1,000.

ca
    May 2008
    Omega, F75, AT Pro
    2638 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (3)

That is quite a load of finds.
    I guess the half round in the box is not a coin ?
    Some super coins there. I like the eagle token too.

Funny how we want to find what we don't have yet, as mentioned the jews harp, with me it's just a skeleton key.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick (Nova Scotia)
    That is quite a load of finds.
    I guess the half round in the box is not a coin ?
    Some super coins there. I like the eagle token too.

Funny how we want to find what we don't have yet, as mentioned the jews harp, with me it's just a skeleton key.

There was many common things that avoided my coil for years. A skeleton key was one, and a silver thimble another.

It is, cut piece of a One Penny.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cut_copper.jpg 
Views:	1168 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	45631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cut_copper.jpg 
Views:	1172 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	483272  

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    7338 times
    Banner Finds (3)

That is a LOT of digging. Lots of nice relics, buttons, and coins. All in all a great year, one that I would love to have. I must say though that I am a little disappointed that it appears you just throw everything in a box. I firmly believe we should keep relics from important sites segregated.
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 19
    Half Reals = 30
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence
    Rev War Buttons
    3rd Battalion PA, Hartley's Regiment, USA, (4) 18th Royal Irish, (2) Rattlesnake & Stars
    Civil War Plates
    VA Militia Cross Belt, CS Tongue, CS Wreath, VMM, US Box, Model 1851 Sword, Militia Plate w/Star

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA
    That is a LOT of digging. Lots of nice relics, buttons, and coins. All in all a great year, one that I would love to have. I must say though that I am a little disappointed that it appears you just throw everything in a box. I firmly believe we should keep relics from important sites segregated.

Maybe if I had important sites. I know where all my better finds are from and that's really the only thing that counts for me. Most of that was from older house sites that didn't give up anything special, just the usual old targets.

us
    Aug 2007
    Topsham, Vermont
    Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
    382 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Quantity and quality...... I expect nothing less Your research skills are well honed and you know how to dig the good stuff

VPR

ca
    Oct 2009
    East Dirtyville
    2327 times
    Banner Finds (2)

PA boys for 2011!

Kirk

You can't win when you quit. Maybe a lesson for 2011!
    that's it ! next season I'm only digging rare things,,,enough of this digging dozens of targets and wearing myself out....

I'm going to take a page from the PA playbook...except I'm going to hold the trophy high instead of the passion,
    good luck in 2011, see you here among the winners!!!
    ...if you think I'm a pain in the neck, it's lower, lower,little bit lower, too low, higher, there ya go.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links