My year end post for 2017 - It was a good one!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of excellent buttons and relics. I like the little whistle too. I found one this year as well. Do you know much about it?

I don't. I assume it's at least mid. 1800s or older as everything else was that early. It's also the first we've seen turn up on our hunts.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that’s a great year! Is that a pistol at the top of your group finds photo?

I assume it's just a toy but to be honest I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It was dug at a junky site that went on well past the era we typically hunt. Had it been found at some of our other sites I would lean towards real. I'll clean it this Winter and see what's under the rust.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The silver thing will forever be a mystery. In 2014 it took me until Christmas day to find one. 2015 I found a few and took until Christmas day to find an old one. 2016 I don't recall but was just a few for the year. When I started using the Deus I said it would turn my silver situation around, because keep in mind Ironhorse was still popping them. Not a lot, but if one turned up he would get it. Both of us were using Explorers so it was just a matter of who got over what, or so I thought.

As you have noted my silver count has greatly increased, going from I bet was one every 10 hunts to now an average of one per hunt. So it would be easy to say... oh it's using the Deus. But here's the thing... The explorer is known as a great silver coin detector.... Ironhorse uses one and has no problems.... there has been nothing special about the coins I found with the Deus, most are solid signals.... and lastly for the first decade I used the Explorer I had no issues with silver coins. I can play it it out in my head, those signals I received on the Deus I know if I would have switched to my Explorer and swung over them it would have been a good high tone signal. I was still finding lots of buttons and copper coins, so just can't see how I would have missed silver... but will admit that is one theory that has entered my mind that for some reason the very high tone of silver was fooling me into thinking it was iron and I was leaving it. That's actually what makes the most sense how it happened, but it just seemed odd to me because a silver coin is a pretty sweet signal. So I'll never know for sure, and maybe it was a combination of passing on a few, but just not swinging over many in general. There's no doubt it did change something, for even for that reason alone the Deus has been worth it. Maybe not so much for the silver I've found so far, but sure would hate to swing over a great one and miss it.

I believe the fact that you're using a higher recovery speed with Deus could have something to do with it as well. Ithink it's a totally different machine than Explorer and it's strong point being separation speed and small targets recovery it might have played a role in finding small silver targets in the iron infested areas (that cut six pence and the possible Spanish is a good example). I'm glad I might have influenced you a bit in getting that machine as I remember how determined you were to stick to Explorer when I was trying to convince you to give Deus a try last year. In any case, glad it worked out for you. Great year again. I'm curious what your spring count will be and what will be your overall 2018 result using the XP. Pretty sure your eager to get back in the field.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the fact that you're using a higher recovery speed with Deus could have something to do with it as well. Ithink it's a totally different machine than Explorer and it's strong point being separation speed and small targets recovery it might have played a role in finding small silver targets in the iron infested areas (that cut six pence and the possible Spanish is a good example). I'm glad I might have influenced you a bit in getting that machine as I remember how determined you were to stick to Explorer when I was trying to convince you to give Deus a try last year. In any case, glad it worked out for you. Great year again. I'm curious what your spring count will be and what will be your overall 2018 result using the XP. Pretty sure your eager to get back in the field.

Keep in mind I have many half real cobs, and also quite a few French billon coins, and all were dug with the Explorer. I don't care near as much about what detector compared to the site, but if changing fixed my issue no matter what the reason, that's a good thing. Having never used an Explorer you wouldn't know how good it is, and that's why it's been what I have used forever. Part of the reason I tried the Deus is I was never completely satisfied once my last old style coil crapped out and I had to change. Then add in no silver and I figured what the heck.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the 2017 season totals IP, little here and there and it turns into an awesome collection of finds once again. Impressive selection of buttons and what's there not to like about silvers.
I think I'll make it my goal this next season to get a silver from the same time period, can't see why they're not laying around here as well since there was so many building the panel system that basically sits on my doorstep.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible finds! My favorite is the silver KG Shilling, you don't see these posted very often. Good luck in 2018!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver thing will forever be a mystery. In 2014 it took me until Christmas day to find one. 2015 I found a few and took until Christmas day to find an old one. 2016 I don't recall but was just a few for the year. When I started using the Deus I said it would turn my silver situation around, because keep in mind Ironhorse was still popping them. Not a lot, but if one turned up he would get it. Both of us were using Explorers so it was just a matter of who got over what, or so I thought.

As you have noted my silver count has greatly increased, going from I bet was one every 10 hunts to now an average of one per hunt. So it would be easy to say... oh it's using the Deus. But here's the thing... The explorer is known as a great silver coin detector.... Ironhorse uses one and has no problems.... there has been nothing special about the coins I found with the Deus, most are solid signals.... and lastly for the first decade I used the Explorer I had no issues with silver coins. I can play it it out in my head, those signals I received on the Deus I know if I would have switched to my Explorer and swung over them it would have been a good high tone signal. I was still finding lots of buttons and copper coins, so just can't see how I would have missed silver... but will admit that is one theory that has entered my mind that for some reason the very high tone of silver was fooling me into thinking it was iron and I was leaving it. That's actually what makes the most sense how it happened, but it just seemed odd to me because a silver coin is a pretty sweet signal. So I'll never know for sure, and maybe it was a combination of passing on a few, but just not swinging over many in general. There's no doubt it did change something, for even for that reason alone the Deus has been worth it. Maybe not so much for the silver I've found so far, but sure would hate to swing over a great one and miss it.

Having swung the "old" FBS Explorer II's for four years or better I always appreciate folks who are still getting fantastic recoveries with that machine and those old Minelabs of that era. My curiosity caused me to leave it behind and experiment with newer technology. Honestly I don't feel I ever mastered the Explorer II's capabilities even though I would use other folks suggested programs and periodically tweak my settings as conditions changed in the field. I still have a pair of EXII's and several coils for them along with the Sunray X1 probes. I can't bring myself to parting with them. I figure some day if I live to retirement I will dig them back out and truly learn what they can do. Going SLOW is the key I believe with these old work horses. As I age going slow is becoming more "natural" for me so perhaps my patience and age will help me learn how to get the most out of these fine old machines. Until then I will continue acquiring some newer and lighter weight machines with faster sweep speeds. I have been avoiding the DEUS but, feel I will eventually have to get one or loose my mind wondering what I might be missing NOT swinging one in my area. Truly remarkable finds you consistently gather mate. Continued good fortune with the DEUS in 2018.:icon_salut:

Last edited:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Having swung the "old" FBS Explorer II's for four years or better I always appreciate folks who are still getting fantastic recoveries with that machine and those old Minelabs of that era. My curiosity caused me to leave it behind and experiment with newer technology. Honestly I don't feel I ever mastered the Explorer II's capabilities even through I would use other folks suggested programs and periodically tweak my settings as conditions changed in the field. I still have a pair of EXII's and several coils for them along with the Sunray X1 probes. I can't bring myself to parting with them. I figure some day if I live to retirement I will dig them back out and truly learn what they can do. Going SLOW is the key I believe with these old work horses. As I age going slow is becoming more "natural" for me so perhaps my patience and age will help me learn how to get the most out of these fine old machines. Until then I will continue acquiring some newer and lighter weight machines with faster sweep speeds. I have been avoiding the DEUS but, feel I will eventually have to get one or loose my mind wondering what I might be missing NOT swinging one in my area. Truly remarkable finds you consistently gather mate. Continued good fortune with the DEUS in 2018.:icon_salut:

I really recommend you getting the Deus (before you retire). You can't imagine all the possibilities this machine has to offer. I have no doubts it will be a game changer for you and you'll never use anything else.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_2017_finds.jpg

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, love how the thread keeps swinging towards the Deus making your season a successful silver one. I try to stay open minded like you have continued to say in this thread about the two machines. One thing I'm convinced of is going over the same ground with different machines in the same hands usually works better than anything else. I'll stick with my low and slow reactivity 2 high frequency Deus and just pray I get over something good.
Again, Dirtyville has been good to you guys, congrats!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quality of finds is pretty staggering....especially to a guy who’s never found a Rev button. I’ve found some grape shot on a Rev battle shoreline and a Rev era sling buckle. That it!!!! Pathetic. So seeing these Rev buttons and knowing how difficult they are to find is impressive to this guy. Whether it’s the sites or the machine or your just more focused it’s a combination that’s working well. Hope 18 is awesome for you. How bout a bet????

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having swung the "old" FBS Explorer II's for four years or better I always appreciate folks who are still getting fantastic recoveries with that machine and those old Minelabs of that era. My curiosity caused me to leave it behind and experiment with newer technology. Honestly I don't feel I ever mastered the Explorer II's capabilities even though I would use other folks suggested programs and periodically tweak my settings as conditions changed in the field. I still have a pair of EXII's and several coils for them along with the Sunray X1 probes. I can't bring myself to parting with them. I figure some day if I live to retirement I will dig them back out and truly learn what they can do. Going SLOW is the key I believe with these old work horses. As I age going slow is becoming more "natural" for me so perhaps my patience and age will help me learn how to get the most out of these fine old machines. Until then I will continue acquiring some newer and lighter weight machines with faster sweep speeds. I have been avoiding the DEUS but, feel I will eventually have to get one or loose my mind wondering what I might be missing NOT swinging one in my area. Truly remarkable finds you consistently gather mate. Continued good fortune with the DEUS in 2018.:icon_salut:

Explorer is a great detector, especially the II, and I see what it could do just about every time out because it's what Ironhorse uses. Had I would have kept that unit (sold it to him) and been able to keep using the old style coil, I doubt I would have ever switched detectors. I do like the Deus, but my SE and 3 coils aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The Deus was new to me, and we were having great luck at our sites so it made it fun to use, but I can still still myself wanting to grab the old explorer every now and again. It certainly served me well over the years.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, love how the thread keeps swinging towards the Deus making your season a successful silver one. I try to stay open minded like you have continued to say in this thread about the two machines. One thing I'm convinced of is going over the same ground with different machines in the same hands usually works better than anything else. I'll stick with my low and slow reactivity 2 high frequency Deus and just pray I get over something good.
Again, Dirtyville has been good to you guys, congrats!

The Deus is a great detector so definitely didn't hurt, but this was just a crazy Fall for IH and I. We got out quite a bit more than we usually have, and just had insane great luck. He started it off as his coil was totally on fire, could have sworn their was a great find locator built into his detector. I was still doing good, but good compared to great feels like just so-so. But what I was able to do is stay very consistent and that added up to a very good Fall, and what I didn't see coming was the crazy luck pendulum swung in my direction at the end of the year with a local field giving me my best hunt of the year and one of the best ever. That's the setting combination I have mostly used too.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quality of finds is pretty staggering....especially to a guy who’s never found a Rev button. I’ve found some grape shot on a Rev battle shoreline and a Rev era sling buckle. That it!!!! Pathetic. So seeing these Rev buttons and knowing how difficult they are to find is impressive to this guy. Whether it’s the sites or the machine or your just more focused it’s a combination that’s working well. Hope 18 is awesome for you. How bout a bet????

It's the sites/history. My area just had a lot of soldiers settle, both Loyalists and British.

Sure I'll do a 2018 bet! ;D But to be honest it's more for you to kick you into gear because after the Fall I had I expect a correction to happen and this year be nothing close to last. I can't predict the future but that's my gut feeling. Even if I'm right however, this one was good enough to balance out just a fair 2018, and if I can add a good find or two I've never dug I'll call that success. Speaking of something I've not dug - until this year, the 23rd button really has flown under the radar here for how good it is. Even in the condition it is, it's still one of my best button finds ever, and Rev War officer's buttons for this regiment are pretty darn rare. I had several great surprises last Fall but pulling that off a site I had hunted for 15 years and was happy just digging targets to have a chance a much lessor button, was quite a rush. This entire unit fought at Lexington-Concord, which of course was the first battle in the Rev War, and my button is no doubt off one of the small % of officers that were in command.

Fresh out of the dirt and super stoked! :tongue3:

Attachments

• thumbnail_12260.jpg
    thumbnail_12260.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the sites/history. My area just had a lot of soldiers settle, both Loyalists and British.

Sure I'll do a 2018 bet! ;D But to be honest it's more for you to kick you into gear because after the Fall I had I expect a correction to happen and this year be nothing close to last. I can't predict the future but that's my gut feeling. Even if I'm right however, this one was good enough to balance out just a fair 2018, and if I can add a good find or two I've never dug I'll call that success. Speaking of something I've not dug - until this year, the 23rd button really has flown under the radar here for how good it is. Even in the condition it is, it's still one of my best button finds ever, and Rev War officer's buttons for this regiment are pretty darn rare. I had several great surprises last Fall but pulling that off a site I had hunted for 15 years and was happy just digging targets to have a chance a much lessor button, was quite a rush. This entire unit fought at Lexington-Concord, which of course was the first battle in the Rev War, and my button is no doubt off one of the small % of officers that were in command.

Fresh out of the dirt and super stoked! :tongue3:
As you know in my area you really have to work to find Rev War relics. I’m going to hunt some shorelines if it ever warms up. Just digging targets in the winter is a massive bonus. But I’ve researched some Rev War soldiers home sites as well and will have a ton more time to hunt in 18. Should be fun my friend. 17 was pretty sad though I did find a couple of bucket list relics including the etched butt cap and toy cannon. And the stunning Maine militia button also was a good local find

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome year I m bored and loving going over all these 2017 finds Awesome post

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread