Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2017 was an OK year. I managed to get out a fair amount, but didn't find anything extraordinary. Here is a chronological recap of my year. Best of luck to everyone in 2018 :thumbsup:

First hunt during a January thaw on 1-22-17
Mine.JPG

Didn't get out again until April Fools Day. Found my first nice powder flask.
Finds 4-1-17.jpg Flask as found.jpg

Next hunt, April 9. Found a new site. Small cabin site in a hay field.
All%20Clean[1].JPG Coins[1].JPG Weight%20-%20top[1].JPG

Return trip to the new site 4-13-17.
4-13-17 Clean.jpg

A month later at a site I have pounded off and on for 20 years, I dug a deep button. A real Dandy!
clean.jpg

July 8 they cleared some ground at another of my old sites and I had a pretty good day
7-8-17 all.JPG

August 13th at the same site. I took a couple buddies and got my two cents worth.
2 Center.jpg

September rolled in and I hit a new area on 9-2-17
9-2-17 all.jpg

September 16, same place
All.JPG

September 30 they plowed one of my all time best spots and I was amazed how much was still there!
All Clean.JPG

November 17th hit a new spot that pa dirt - nc sand and I had researched
All.JPG

I got out to three different places over the Thanksgiving break
11-24-17 all.jpg
11-26-17.JPG
Edmunds All.JPG

Got out a couple more times over Christmas before the big freeze at two different spots
12-22-17 all.jpg
12-24-17 all.jpg Large Cents.jpg

Well that's it for now folks. Thanks for looking and Happy New Year!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on your very fine season! :occasion14:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: that is a great looking powder flask, congrats on a very good year!

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Your "OK" years are still awesome, I look forward to seeing your 2018 finds.--JB

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great year! I would love to find a powder flask. That's some great quality finds.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratualtions on your very fine season! :occasion14:
Thank you for looking and commenting :thumbsup:

:icon_thumright: that is a great looking powder flask, congrats on a very good year!
Thanks, I was very happy with the powder flask. Even though it's smashed both sides are there.

Your "OK" years are still awesome, I look forward to seeing your 2018 finds.--JB
2018 should be an interesting year...if it ever warms up enough to get started :laughing7:

Great year! I would love to find a powder flask. That's some great quality finds.
Thanks RN. The flask was a nice surprise at this site and was really the only good find that came out of the place.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know your expectations are pretty high and if I lived out east mine would be too. Judging by your finds I think you had a great year. You scored some wonderful relics and coins and got to share some hunts with pa dirt-nc sand. What's not to like? Well done mate!:headbang:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I knew I’d regret clicking on your post - yep, shocked and awed as usual Steve. What a grey year - and that newly-plowed-old-spot really put some finds on the board. Congrats and I hope your 2018 is even more outstanding!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the Pittsburgh area is still producing goodies. Nice finds! I like that B&O button. Probably from a conductor's coat. Rode the B&O from Southside station, (Pgh) to Winchester, VA. They used to run self propelled Budd cars.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply awesome .I like the way you laid those down date by date when you found them.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great year! Some very nice treasures.
Hope your 2018 is even more fruitful!

4D4A2568-9F4D-43D0-930B-D4EB0423F35C.jpeg

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The powder flask is cool, but I'm counting 3 Spanish, not bad to add to your collection. Looks like the weather is predicted to finally warm up late next week, hopefully the ground is not permafrost. Congrats on your year!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,, thanks for the Chronological Trip. I like the fact that you keep a log of each hunt. I do the same
Congratulations on your finds and a great year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know your expectations are pretty high and if I lived out east mine would be too. Judging by your finds I think you had a great year. You scored some wonderful relics and coins and got to share some hunts with pa dirt-nc sand. What's not to like? Well done mate!:headbang:
Thank you for the nice comments. If I can keep having years like 2017, I'll be happy. But I'd rather have years like my 2012 or 2014 :laughing7:

I knew I’d regret clicking on your post - yep, shocked and awed as usual Steve. What a grey year - and that newly-plowed-old-spot really put some finds on the board. Congrats and I hope your 2018 is even more outstanding!
Haha, you want to talk about shock and awe Steve, your year had more big bangs than the first Gulf War! I still haven't dug a Nova! I do appreciate the comments however.

Awesome Year!!! Congrats!!!
Thanks!

Looks like the Pittsburgh area is still producing goodies. Nice finds! I like that B&O button. Probably from a conductor's coat. Rode the B&O from Southside station, (Pgh) to Winchester, VA. They used to run self propelled Budd cars.
Thanks, the old railroad buttons are pretty cool. I also dug a railroad lock at this site.

Simply awesome .I like the way you laid those down date by date when you found them.
Thanks, I create a folder for each year and then a sub folder for each hunt with the date and site. That way I can document my finds using only pictures. I keep all my finds segregated by site.

Congratulations on a great year! Some very nice treasures.
Hope your 2018 is even more fruitful!

View attachment 1533936
Thank you and may your 2018 be a great year as well.

The powder flask is cool, but I'm counting 3 Spanish, not bad to add to your collection. Looks like the weather is predicted to finally warm up late next week, hopefully the ground is not permafrost. Congrats on your year!
I guess it was just a slightly above average year for Spanish Thad. I found three. If you look at the 68 I have found since my first 27 years ago, that comes to 2.5 a year :laughing7: Looks like the highs will be slightly above freezing all next week.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,, thanks for the Chronological Trip. I like the fact that you keep a long of each hunt. I do the same
Congratulations on your finds and a great year.
Thanks. I find a photo log is a nice way to document what you found where. I've been doing it since I bough my first digital camera. I wish I was doing it back in the 1990s when I had some of my most incredible hunts.

Steve
Your powder flask is incredible !
You had a great season congratulations hope 2018 is as fine !
Gary
Thanks Gary. I posted the just dug pic of the flask. Here are cleaned pics of each side. I'm pretty happy with it since it is all there, just flattened.
Flask 1.jpg Flask 2.jpg

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You made some incredible finds, can’t wait to see what next season brings....
Especially next September!:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread