red bone cave

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
redbone cave, / where is this area or place ?

I know of several places that come to mind around my area, what area are you looking for ? hope to help.. :help:

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This cave is supposed to be in this area (Lauderdale-Colbert County area) of northwest Alabama. It is supposed to be filled with treasure from Spanish explorers that passed through the area and were killed by the local Indians. In fact, I once knew an old man, now deceased, who lived on the now flooded bottom land of the Tennessee River near Waterloo, AL. He told me that one day when he was about 10 years old an Indian came to his house and asked him if he knew where Bone Cave was. He said he did and the Indian told him if he would show him that there was enough gold and silver in it to last both of them the rest of their lives and that he would share it with him. He was afraid to go with him because this was in the early 1900's and the memory of Indians killing whites was still fresh in people's minds and the Indian left and was never seen again. This old man said Bone Cave had two entrances with one being above the other and that it is now flooded by Pickwick Lake. I don't know if this is the same cave but the name is close and it was supposed to hold treasure. I know of a cave that is called Manbone Cave but it is not too close to the Tennessee River and Red Bone Cave is supposed to be.

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
The info I have found out says the Indians Chief put all their gold in there because the white people back then were coming and they didn't want them to take it.The Indian chief new they would loose their land and gold if it was found.So they hid it in a cave 'guarded' by two dead braves skeletons(that's how it became know as the red bone cave)
Long story short(I cant type long...LOL)Along came a young white trapper, asked the chief if he could trap on their land because he wasn't having any luck elsewhere, chief says yes.He ended up liking the trapper and blindfolded him and brought him to the cave.Told him if he married the chiefs daughter, he could have all the gold.He told the chief he would think about it.Later they were heading back to the village, the young trapper killed the chief and went back to find the gold for himself,but never could find it....
That's what I know so far.......
EDIT::::: a little bit of both what dnewbury says and what I have found out...

joey4u8

Jan 2, 2011
Mr.Jody said:
The info I have found out says the Indians Chief put all their gold in there because the white people back then were coming and they didn't want them to take it.The Indian chief new they would loose their land and gold if it was found.So they hid it in a cave 'guarded' by two dead braves skeletons(that's how it became know as the red bone cave)
Long story short(I cant type long...LOL)Along came a young white trapper, asked the chief if he could trap on their land because he wasn't having any luck elsewhere, chief says yes.He ended up liking the trapper and blindfolded him and brought him to the cave.Told him if he married the chiefs daughter, he could have all the gold.He told the chief he would think about it.Later they were heading back to the village, the young trapper killed the chief and went back to find the gold for himself,but never could find it....
That's what I know so far.......
EDIT::::: a little bit of both what dnewbury says and what I have found out...

Yea its a god possiblity its under water but a guy came thru a little while back he is suppose to be some kind of big shot explore with some type equipment that picks up precious metals under ground and he claims to have found two places at mcfarland park by the Tenn. river and that one of them appears to be a cave or tunnel that has alot of gold in it? claims it underneath a road that he will not name and is trying to make a deal with the florence city councel to allow him to dig beneath this road that he wont tell them about anyway rumor is that its savanna highway which is by the park and river? if this is so surely there is a cave or something in this area also there is not any bluffs alone the north bank of the river where this gold is suppose to be but there is bluffs on the other side of the river for as far as you can see? any ideas?

ZipCity

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay new info, The bluffs near mcfarland where the guy claims to have hit a cave under a road are actually on both side of the river. The florence side has bluffs across from the park on the other side of Savanah/Genreal John Coffee highway. Hard to notice them due to two factors. One factor is area development ( a neighborhood sits atop the bluffs and the bluffs are covered with trees and kudzu). Things to note, KUDZU was not introduced in the area until the 1800s and covers up many old landmarks, also the trees growing in the area are new growth ( 100 to 150 years). So bluffs are infact on both sides. Second thing to note. The military engineers previous to the civil war did massive construction on retaining wall flood structures at the bridge crossing and mouth of cypress creek ( right at mcfarland park) It is highly plausible the cavern this man found was a military structure.You can find a very old engineer map on maps.gov of the construction that would explain the anomalies this man found. OKAY, now I do have information of a gentleman that found several silver bars ( large 100 oz plus) in the area but as far as I know they were found on private land and he would not tell me where. He just told me a general direction and gestured towards the general area from natchez trace bridge to mcfarland. MOST OF THIS LAND IS FEDERAL LAND. It is also home to many many burial caves where artifacts and skeletons have been found. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to search federal land. You will be arrested and prosecuted. Coffee slough is in this area and is under state and federal protection for its artifacts and ancient shelter caves. Also in the area is Key Cave. It is the only place in the world to find a particular species of cave dwelling fish ( needless to say how seriously protected that area is). Your only hope is the ask folks from around the Smithsonia and sunset beach area if you can search on their property. I bet they will say no, but a no beats handcuffs and several years in prison any day. Alright, there is a story of the Smithsonia Church members finding a cave containing two skeletons near the entrance of a cave of which they buried in the church cemetery over a 100 years ago. This cave has not been found and the original church burned down and it's original location lost in history. Find the original church grounds and it will probably lead you to the cave. My guess is that is is around the Cave Springs area in Lauderdale county. Search for grave markers and new growth trees surrounded by either old growth trees or farm fields. Fact is, folks are less likely to cut down trees that have grown in a cemetary and probably clear cut around them to mark pasture land out of the old growth forrests. Or, the church and cemetery was in a forrest that still exists and is therefore old growth trees surrounding a small area of new growth trees where the church and cemetery stood. One thing to note, an almost identical tale about a cave filled with spainish gold protected by indians has been told about the tombigbee river and about the mississippi river near memphis. All of this land was Chickasaw so I bet there is truth to the story and the cave is on one of these three rivers. I am willing to bet the RED BONE CAVE story of Lauderdale County is the accurate one because of one major story line clue. The trapper was from Fort Rosalie, the Natchez trace game trail is directly from the Fort Rosalie area to the Lauderdale county are where all of these separate stories find a connection to the trapper's tale. In summary, Find the church first and you are in the right area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread