Huntsville Alabama

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
Anyone near Huntsville or have anything to show from the area?? I am moving there next weekend.

Looking at the satelite image, it looks like the property that I'm renting backs up to a huge plowed farm field less than a mile from the Tennessee river.

I am soooooo stoked, its been too friggin hot & muggy here in Florida and I've been way too busy with work to get out lookin'. Not to mention that I have to drive close to an hour to get anywhere good that I have permission or don't need it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Rocket City. Huntsville is cutting edge. I am a couple hours North but hunt up stream. Plenty of ancient and civil war artifacts in your new home area. You moving to build rockets? Fly up and down that river sytem on google earth. How can you go wrong?? :thumbsup:
http://www.huntsville.org/

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckhunter said:
Way cool of you to help out the new guy TnMountain,

Glad to be of service. That area is loaded he will be posting finds in no time :icon_thumright:

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntsville area is great for arrowheads and metal detecting. If you are interested let me know. Ive been here for 4 years but know a lot of the local sites and farmers.

OP
OP
jpitt1970

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
Well, we pulled in to the new place Saturday around 2pm. Got everything off the u-haul by late Sunday morning & drove around the area for a bit. I found close to 20 or more plowed fields all along the Tennessee River, but every damn one of them is planted right now.

I did manage to find a small creek about 12 miles from the house & walked it for about an hour and a half this morning. I've never seen so much unworked flint, chert & jasper in my life.. the creek is absolutely loaded with the stuff!! It made hunting difficult, but I did manage to find a few utilized flakes and a small polished river cobble, that has obvious wear from pounding or grinding, but nothing post worthy yet............... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:.........won't be long though, just got to learn the area.

Jon

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the South :sunny: Not bad getting out the first time and seeing sign..You gonna love your new home. Good luck in all your hunts. FatCat knows the area you might want to hook up. Have fun.

OP
OP
jpitt1970

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
River Walker said:
What part of H'ville are you in ? I grew up there and would be glad to point yiou in a direction not far from wherever you are located.

I'm in Southeast Huntsville, 2 miles north of the tennessee river, right off hwy231....just need to meet some farmers now, seems like the entire flood plain is plowed!!

River Walker

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2009
Biloxi Ms.
jpitt, With the large population of H'VILLE most of the obvious fields have been hit hard for the last 50 yrs.
By far the best way to enjoy the fruits of the Tenn. River Valley is by boat. Since you live down towards the river i would buy a 16 ft. jon boat witrh a 40 hp motor put in down at Ditto landing adjacent to the river bridge and head upriver towards Gunterville Dam. On the way up you will pass the mouths of both the Flint and Paint Rock Rivers. {wonderful places} During the fall and winter the water is down and after a storm get up real early and look for washes in the sand exposing neat things !
If you have 4 or 5 hrs. drive out hwy 72 E towards Scottsboro and turn left just before the Paint Rock and drive up the upper river valley . It's an amazingly beautiful place full of wonderments.
My finger is getting tired so we can contue this later. Igrew up at the end of Weatherly rd. where i found my first point in 1961 when i was 10 yrs. old

PlaneCrazy

Greenie
Nov 26, 2012
Madison, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi FatCat..you still hunting?

Huntsville area is great for arrowheads and metal detecting. If you are interested let me know. Ive been here for 4 years but know a lot of the local sites and farmers.

Im fairly new to the hobby and wondered if there was a club here in town that you and others are a part of. I find it tough doing it by myself, it seems like it takes longer to learn everything when youre out by yourself. I certainly dont know any spots to try, thats for sure. I did try a couple of local parks in Madison but they look like they are too new to really have anything in the ground. I look forward to hearing from you.

Patrick

PlaneCrazy

Greenie
Nov 26, 2012
Madison, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jpitt, With the large population of H'VILLE most of the obvious fields have been hit hard for the last 50 yrs.
By far the best way to enjoy the fruits of the Tenn. River Valley is by boat. Since you live down towards the river i would buy a 16 ft. jon boat witrh a 40 hp motor put in down at Ditto landing adjacent to the river bridge and head upriver towards Gunterville Dam. On the way up you will pass the mouths of both the Flint and Paint Rock Rivers. {wonderful places} During the fall and winter the water is down and after a storm get up real early and look for washes in the sand exposing neat things !
If you have 4 or 5 hrs. drive out hwy 72 E towards Scottsboro and turn left just before the Paint Rock and drive up the upper river valley . It's an amazingly beautiful place full of wonderments.
My finger is getting tired so we can contue this later. Igrew up at the end of Weatherly rd. where i found my first point in 1961 when i was 10 yrs. old

Hi River,

My son went to weatherly k through 3rd grade, then we moved out to Madison. Im new to the sport and Im looking for places to go too. Do you mean 4 or 5 hours driving time alone or does that include some hunting time within that time frame?

Thanks

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this is an old thread.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif

..: Moved from North American Indian Artifacts over to Sub-Forums: Alabama for more exposure :..​

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread