• Fort Huger 4-14-07.jpg
    Fort Huger 4-14-07.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 975

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
Looking at the aireal photo there seems to be the remaind of a square structure with two
semi circles attached(gun emplacements?). It is at the top of the photo near the edge.
Any one know if ths is part of the fort?

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1992 was when the FBI did the sting and got the guy that was getting the artifacts. They came into his house and took every bit of his collection (alot he came by at other locations). I left the area in 1993 and there was still lots of investigation going on.

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Mike,
I just spent about 4 hours doing a little recon on your spot. You will be surprised at my findings. I have not done any excavation at this time because I wanted to involve you. Give me a call, Kenny Thornton 251-406-0707

Best regards
Bay Pirate

John Navarre

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Navarre, FL
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike,
I just spent about 4 hours doing a little recon on your spot. You will be surprised at my findings. I have not done any excavation at this time because I wanted to involve you. Give me a call, Kenny Thornton 251-406-0707

Best regards
Bay Pirate

Anyone have any additional photo's of this site? Looks pretty interesting!

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
I have not been back at this point. I have hiked around the island and it appears to many good sites. It is largely over grown so I good bit of brush removal would have to happen before anything could be done but with good tools and help, it could be done rather easily.

kurt301

Jan 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you look at the picture or even the location on google maps you can see the overgrowth for what you guys call Ft. Huger at the very top tip of Big island. However, a little further dead south on the same island in google maps, you can see overgrowth in a rectangular shape with a straight in cut to it that is to straight to not be man made. That rectangle if not Huger, is definitely something. It is much bigger than what is on the tip and as I said it looks like a channel was dredged so boats could get right up to the front door. Anyone have any ideas about this?

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Your right Kurt. I took my flats boat in there. The entrance is on about 18 inches deep so I had to get out of the boat and push it across the bar for about 10 or 15 feet but the the bottom drops out and there is nice deep water all the way back in the canal. As with the tip, this area is also high ground and heavily overgrown. I couldn't make a land fall back in the because it is fronted by a marsh bank that, when you step on it, you sink to your neck. It needs to be boarded for a walkway. I was thinking a few pallets would do the trick. It is definitely an interesting site but I don't won't to disturb it until MichealB says let's go. I wouldn't have known about it he not pointed it out. I keep asking so maybe this times a charm. What do u say Michael, ready for a dig?

kurt301

Jan 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i foudn it looking at historical maps and just thought the fort maybe was marked in a different location or something, From the forts I have seen, the southern spot with the canal would seem more likely to be the fort than the tri tip would. Just my opinion but still if it wasnt the fort I would like to know what it is because it is deffinately a man made channel.

OP
OP
MichaelB

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
So here is the deal. I went to a house and looked at pictures where a 6 foot hole was dug on the fort back in the 1970's.. They had 6 huge naval shots that they found and a few weapons. If you go and look at the Blakely historical site their claim covers this area so unfortunately it is now off limits to dig. The last thing I wanted us to do was violate a federal law but until I get something that says the map is incorrect then we are best served to hold off. Bay Pirate is correct, it is a tough place to get to with lots of rocks that can hurt your boat (which is unusual in itself).

I will keep digging (excuse the pun)!

MichaelB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread