Valley/West Point, Alabama

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading up to the Valley/West Point area in Alabama to take my grandmother home, before heading up to Missouri for college. I plan on doing a little detecting on Friday, and "maybe" a little on Saturday before I leave again. I just wanted to know if ANYONE had any kind of information on the area... from civil war sites, to local cache's... and anywhere in between. My reason for asking on such short notice is that I was just given a second metal detector by one of the members here on T-Net. I had already made a promise to an elderly woman from my grandmother's church when I was up there a couple weeks ago that when I came back through, I would have my metal detector (I only had one at the time) with me and would take her out to use it. My dream would be for her or I to find a gold coin (I know the chances are slim to none) so that she would finally have one in her coin collection that she's had since she was much younger in age. I've already made up my mind to give whatever we find that day to her, regardless of how nice or old it is. There's just something about seeing the spark come alive in her eyes when I was telling her about my MDing and THing... :) So anyway, if anyone's able to help with any info, I'd be ever so grateful! 'night!!!

Bran <><

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a couple of abanded or ghost towns listed near by.
Nelson: on railroad 4 miles northwest Fairfax.
Osinappa: at Extreme South East part of Chambers County at the Chattahoochee River and State line.
Ward :on south county line 3 miles SE of Fairfax. also a tale of gold buried on pine mountian in Ga.
I have NOT been there so I don't know what to look for, may or may Not be any imediate signs of anything to locate the spots, or could be some people living nearby.

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that info! I'm back up at school in Missouri... but I'll try and check out some of those sites next time I drive back home to Florida... :)

Bran <><

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bran,

I am from Chambers County. There are lots of places there in the county to hunt or at least nearby. In West Point, Ga. there was one of the last battles of the Civil War. Check out this story about Ft. Tyler. It is really good.

http://www.forttyler.com/

I hunted the actual site years ago but I believe that they have made it more of a park type thing since then. There is a large field to the north side of the Fort that I believe may hold a few civil war finds if the field is still accessible. A friend of mine pulled waht was left of an old Enfield Rifle out of there before I hunted it.

Other than that, there are many old schools and cotton mills in the area. Get you a local map and check them out. All along the Chattahoochee River are some old ruins of different types also. There were lots of folks from Chambers County, Troup County, Ga and Harris County, Ga that fought in the Civil War. One trick that I have learned is that when they returned from the War, they pretty much threw anything related to the war other than weapons in the trash or wore the clothes until they were no longer good. The trash pits were usually on top of the ground out behind the houses. If you can hunt old fields in the area, escpecially those that have the ruins of old homes, there is a likelyhood that you can luck up on a button or two. It has worked for me many times. I ride the country roads looking for a plowed field that has two or three trees in the middle of it. The reason those trees are usually there is because that is where the old home place once stood. Find the farmer and ask permission to hunt. They often give it if you are nice. One key to knowing that you are on an old site is to look for old pieces of pottery, China and especially "black glass", on the ground. If you see black glass pieces, which is actually dark amber if you hold it up to the sun, you are on an old site. Hunt what would be an area around the trees that would have encompassed the house (btween the trees) and what you can picture as a barn area, etc. It is usually a couple of acres worth. Turn your descrimination low since buttons come in as junk often.

Good Luck in the future.

Jim

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,
Thanks SO much for all your helpful and informative insight on the area!! So you're from Chambers County, huh?? You were talking about Alabama, or Georgia? If Alabama... did you possibly attend Chambers Academy? Also, do you or did you know any of the Carmichael family there?
Just wondering...
Thanks again!!!!

Bran <><

blw

Greenie
Oct 28, 2007
Opelika Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Jim and Bran,

I'm between Opelika and Valley, a couple of miles from the Chambers Co. line. This is very interesting as I'm looking for good places to hunt.

Jim, are you living in the area now? I need to find a buddy around here. I guess you are back in Floridia, Bran.

Barry

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blw said:
Jim and Bran,

I'm between Opelika and Valley, a couple of miles from the Chambers Co. line. This is very interesting as I'm looking for good places to hunt.

Jim, are you living in the area now? I need to find a buddy around here. I guess you are back in Floridia, Bran.

Barry

Barry,
I'm actually back in Missouri for college at the moment. I drive through there from time to time while heading down to Florida. I was going to drive down there to AL to visit my family next week for Thanksgiving, because my Mawmaw offered to pay for gas both ways... but my brother is pushing for him & I to go to Arkansas to "treasure hunt" for diamonds in the rough at Crater of Diamonds State Park! I really wanted to go to Alabama to visit my family there, but I think he's coaxed me into doing some diamond hunting instead! ;D

Bran <><

blw

Greenie
Oct 28, 2007
Opelika Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Bran- good luck on the diamond hunt as it sounds like a lot of fun. Hope to hear if you find anything when you get back.

Barry

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blw said:
Bran- good luck on the diamond hunt as it sounds like a lot of fun. Hope to hear if you find anything when you get back.

Barry

Thanks Barry! I'll let you know if I find anything, as long as we actually get out there this time. We may leave on Thursday night after Thanksgiving dinner... pic's will come if there are any finds!

Bran <><

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i live in valley. i am always looking for new places to hunt. pm me if you live in chambers county i would like to talk with you

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey silvercop!
I don't live in Valley, but the rest of my dad's side of the family does. I stop by and visit on my way to and from college. I was just by there a couple weeks ago, and got to do a little gold panning a little north of the Alabama Gold Camp.
Are you an officer in Chambers County by chance?
I saw several possible sites to MD around as I was leaving Chambers County... they looked like old home sites. I bet, with permission, that they'd turn up some old silver!!

Bran <><

jimsjinx

Greenie
May 7, 2009
We ride our trike all over the Opelika area. There are a million places to hunt with a historical significance around here. My problem is the BUGS right now. Also a little shy.I don't want to get shot. I would be proud to hunt with any of y'all, when you can get in the area. The Columbus/Phenix City bridge is a landmark battle spot. You have to hunt down close to the "Hootch, cause it's all built up around there now. PM me anytime! jimsjinx

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I won't be back up that way until October... when my family and I come up for a family reunion in Valley.
I'll try to remember to contact ya'll so we can maybe get out and hunt some. :)

Bran <><

slow motion

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
captjohn howdy from beatrice,alabama.we are trying to start asouth-western,alabama club.think about it and let me know.hh slow motion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions