Planning an Alaskan Vacation-Recommendations?

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to plan an Alaskan vacation that includes gold panning, metal detecting, and nature watching (whales, etc), but I haven't a clue about Alaska.

Anyone know of a good place and time of year? I haven't thought out the budget for it yet, but I'm not rich, so fun but cheap is good.

I'm a pretty experienced outdoors person, so I don't mind a bit of roughing it if needed.

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I'd love some information on AK. I'm interested in a metal detecting, gold panning, rock hounding location. If possible I'd like to not have to primitive camp.

I want to know how much to save up and I also want to do some research before I go on my trip.

Thank you for replying

Sluice Box

Jan 1, 2012
The cold north
Detector(s) used
ACE 150, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there Salura. I was just wondering the status on your trip, if wether or not you made it up their with success, or you were still anticipating on doing a trip way up to the north?

Sluice

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still saving up for it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't go in the winter. :laughing7:

Of course, there's the bugs in the summer ..................

If you're worried about mosquitoes, go the last week in July or first week in August. Night frost will have killed off a lot of them. If you're inclined to be cavalier about them, one of my school chums has seen them stampede whole herds of caribou. And men go nuts.

The northern lights are awesome though, and the stars are too.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nothing cheap in ak.

Yes, I'd love some information on AK. I'm interested in a metal detecting, gold panning, rock hounding location. If possible I'd like to not have to primitive camp.

I want to know how much to save up and I also want to do some research before I go on my trip.

Thank you for replying

just spent over 8 weeks in Nome trip of a life time found about 7500.00 in nuggets and dust

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread