What should I do with this Xbox 360?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Over the past summer, I attended a great estate sale.

Virtually everything there was spotlessly clean. This guy was a neat freak, and kept everything in it's original packaging, organized and labeled perfectly.

I bought the contents of one side of the garage for $7. Included in those was a Xbox 360.

Here is the deal: The Xbox 360 is packed in a box, and has a return authorization letter to Microsoft inside of it. On the letter, it is marked "Freezes Up".

I'm wondering if the guy was getting ready to return the console, and then died before it got shipped back.

All of the cords and controllers are missing, and I can't seem to find any friend who has the same model 360 to test it. I am told by one person that the power cord has changed.

I know virtually NOTHING about video games, consoles, etc.

I would like to maximize the value/return on this item.

Can I part this console out?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have the proper cords and accessories you probably won't get a heck of a lot for it. It's useless as it stands. You could always pop it up on ebay for parts........maybe someone will want it.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Okay.

Can I part it out myself?

Which parts are the most valuable?

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
"Untested xBox 360" should be the title, and in the description, state the story. Start the bidding at $24.95. Goodluck

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't bother parting out an xbox 360. I don't think it has too many parts (a circuit board and a DVD drive).

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for the replies!!!!

We did some research today, and I think this 360 is junk.

Seems that up to a 1/3 of all the Xbox 360 models like the one I have were junk, and died an early death. Whatever caused the problem, it is call the "Red Ring of Death." From what I can tell, these machines are not repairable, and even though Microsoft clearly knew that they were defective by their own design and manufacturing, did absolutely nothing for the consumer.

So, if you shelled out $300 or $400 for a new 360 back in 2008, there was a 1 in 3 chance that you totally wasted your money. No refunds, no returns, no repair, no warranty, IIUC.

One website that my wife read said that one repair place was getting 2500 machines to repair each day and quit repairing them because they couldn't fix it.

I'm guessing that the guy who owned this bought it new, shipped it in for repair, got it back, and the repair didn't work or last. I'd say that he stuck it in the garage, and I bought it.

In other words, the thing is going to the scrap yard soon.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are making the right choice, because no matter how accurate you describe it, if it's junk it's junk and the buyer will fight you to the gates of ebay hell to get his money back. I definitely steer clear or items like that.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
List it for parts or repair only and clearly state that it does not work. That type of stuff tends to do well and it is better than throwing it away.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
List it for parts or repair only and clearly state that it does not work. That type of stuff tends to do well and it is better than throwing it away.

Generally speaking, I would agree. I sometimes list junk lots of broken and destroyed toy trains, and it always surprises me how well they sell.

In this case, it simply isn't worth it to me. Some units like this are selling for $20, but many others are not. It is amazing how many white Xbox 360's there are listed. It definitely shows how much junk that Microsoft put out onto the market.

I just want it gone and out of my life.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think you are making the right choice, because no matter how accurate you describe it, if it's junk it's junk and the buyer will fight you to the gates of ebay hell to get his money back. I definitely steer clear or items like that.

I would never, ever list an item that has significant problems but list it as good. Life is too short to have unhappy customers, so I am a stickler for listing good items.

And if I did list this one, I would use bold red letters in the ad at least 3 times "JUNK~NOT WORKING~UNREPAIRABLE~PARTS ONLY."

I've made great money parting stuff out...but in this instance, I'm opting for the 5 cents per pound scrap value at my local scrap yard.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The freeze up could be caused by overheating from the fan being clogged.

I would sell it AS IS

Also someone might want it to fix their DVD drive . So it does have a use for parts

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
At the very least, list it on CL for $15. What is the scrap price for this? 57 cents? You should be able to get $25 no problem for this on ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread