Board Games on Ebay

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
If you sell used board games, how do you know whether you should part it out vs. sell incomplete? I bought a sweet LOTR trilogy risk game and it looks like it may be a faster ROC if I part it out. HH

Check the sold listings on eBay for the complete game vs the parts. Most of the time I part them out. I have done a couple LOTR Risk games. If the game is in real good shape, I sold them complete. If not, part the baby out. Money to be made either way. I love selling Risk games.

Not all Risk games are created equal though. I have not checked the market since last year and we all know how the market can fluctuate from year to year.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I usually need to buy new shoes after seeing board games at thrift stores or garage sales. I run so fast I wear the soles right off. Never made a dime on board games, after loosing a bunch of $$ I just run fast now.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually need to buy new shoes after seeing board games at thrift stores or garage sales. I run so fast I wear the soles right off. Never made a dime on board games, after loosing a bunch of $$ I just run fast now.

Not all games are equal. I will let you know how the Ebay sales go with this.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Not all games are equal. I will let you know how the Ebay sales go with this.[/QUOTE
You are right. I just got burned too many times in the past I don't bother anymore. Ones I thought were good were but missing one card or piece etc dropping the price to nill next to the countless others that were complete. I still run but am sure there are ones to make money on out there. Thanks for letting us know how it goes, I will learn some.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do board games much . Not usually worth the time for me unless they are sealed or rare or special in some way.

I will look for sealed, unusual , or high end games. The best games I have resold was the "Vintage" ones in wooden boxes like these :

vintage scrabble.jpg

(Thanks to Diggummup for that tip)

Last edited:

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you guys ship complete board games? I guess just leave it in the box and package around the box?

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
How do you guys ship complete board games? I guess just leave it in the box and package around the box?

Put it in another box with some packing material. It will protected them much much much better than brown paper wrapping the game. Also, medium flat rate boxes might help and, if go the priority mail route, the post office does have a long "board game box" (large rate).

The problem with shipping board games is the cost. Eats up so much of the total cost that a buyer is willing to pay!

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, that is what I was planning on doing. I would really like to use the game board box, but like you said, it is too expensive for a light item like a game. It almost fits in a long medium. I may just end up doing it in a plain brown box if I can find one like it, or I may have to make one. Thanks!

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about using the piority box and wrapping that in brown paper? (Not that I recommend or endorse doing that Mr. Government...) A roll of brown paper should be pretty cheap at Wal-Mart or Home Depot and could be used many times to do this.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, if I can't get it to fit in the medium, I planned on wrapping it up in a game board box with brown paper. Thanks!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
A few years ago, I found a complete war game in nice condition. Could have gotten $45 out of it. Decided to part it out, with the hopes of selling it for $200. I sold three lots of game pieces for a total of $28, and the rest of it sat for eons, and never did sell.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
What about using the piority box and wrapping that in brown paper? (Not that I recommend or endorse doing that Mr. Government...) A roll of brown paper should be pretty cheap at Wal-Mart or Home Depot and could be used many times to do this.
I know this has been covered before, but the post office catches this trick easily by the size and shape of the box. Then they send it back to you, and you get to start over at your expense. Not to mention, intentionally biting the hand that provides you with the opportunity to run your own business is not good business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread