diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was checking out my ebay dashboard (stupid name) and notice my seller rating is only "above standard" and not "top rated". WTF! Sp then I look at my Transaction Defect Report to see why and I notice 2.07% of my transactions had defects. Huh? So I look at the 3 transactions in question.

One was an item not received case in which the buyer did receive the item after she opened a case against me. Here is her response-

Case Closed: Issue resolved

You don't need to do anything else.

Buyer closed this case on Aug 08, 2014 because the buyer received the item.Aug 08, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Buyer's note:
"Hey rob, Just wanted to let you know that I did finally receive the package. I don't understand what happened but I'm just glad to finally have it. Thanks for your patience. Even though it was neither parties fault since apparently the post office doesn't know how to do its job. Thanks again! "

Next one was for ratings 1,2 and 3 for item description. How can I have low item description rating with this for feedback?...

"Item as described and super fast ahipping. Great seller"

The third item is from May 4 and it is also for low ratings of 1,2,and 3 for item description. I have no idea who or what this was in reference to because the item number is too old to look up. The item number was 271468997750. I can deal with that one, but only because it wouldn't affect my rating anyway.

Now I am going to have to waste at least 30 minutes on the phone tomorrow talking to some idiot in Bangladesh named Bob before being transferred to an actual American. What a freaking joke. Thanks for letting me release my frustrations. I am po'd to say the least.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate Ebay in a lot of ways and I have been actively selling on there for 8-9 years.

I took out a case against someone who sent me the wrong item. It took 2 weeks to get my money back after I sent the item back to him (I took the case out because he didn't respond to my emails). All told it took about 6 weeks to settle after trying to reach him to begin with. The case was closed, but he never reimbursed me my costs to ship the items back to him. Whereas as far as Ebay was concerned it was complete.

I am rated a top seller, but because I don't do something (it is kind of vague) I am not considered the highest rating. Either way, I don't care as long as I can sell something. Further more it is kind of a pain because around 10-12% of my sell costs go to Ebay for their fees. I have to mark items up as a result. I wouldn't pay the prices that I have to sell items, but people will.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It really surprises me that there is no serious competition against eBay...

sent from a potato...

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost my TRS status also and knew it was coming as I had a few opened cases against me many moons ago for the same type of B.S. I don't really care at this point besides the few extra percentage points in fees.

Almost all my "defects" are dropping off and will regain TRS on the next evaluation, should be Sept. 20. (I think I read that somewhere).

Waste my time calling customer no service...not a chance in hades! They back thieves and are not worth my time.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just lost mine too. I got one neutral feedback and I guess because I had to refund two people because they weren't satisfied. Crazy. It's amazing not even eBay itself could be a top-rated seller and they are their own! Its just a joke. It seems like everybody lost their TRS this week , so you are not alone!!

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
Yea, me too but I knew it was coming. The biggest problem was cases opened as "not as described" when that wasn't the case. I had called eBay over two of them on my record, since I found that they were going back months earlier as part of the stats (I think it was a rolling year). They didn't help.

As others have said, this gives ebay a boost to their bottom line without them having to do anything to earn it.

Until recently when I changed career paths, I can honestly toot my own horn when I say I was one of the best when it came to customer service. I worked for a company that allowed me to fix and negotiate any problem that came to me. I will still continue to do that with people who buy from me. I cannot help it if they check a box and open a case (which eBay makes easily available and encourages it usage) to innocently ask a question , when eBay secretly knew they were going to take away TRS from many in the future by it use.

I don't deal like that with my customers and I expect, in return, not to be dealt like this in return. Did not expect that it would be eBay who would set this in motion to hurt its sellers. It is because they believe we need them more than they need us. A short sighted approach but one sees that a lot in businesses.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I was able to get a couple of defects removed, but the initial person I talked to couldn't do it, they needed to transfer me to a supervisor. However I read the ebay forums once in a while and I heard some rumblings that defects were now harder to get removed... Luckliy I haven't had to get a defect removed in months so I am not sure.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I still am blessed to have my TRS status, but how long will it be before I get some dings?

The more I think about it, the more I realize that over 90% of my cases are from crazy loons, thieves, or some other type of scam artist.

Less than 10% of all the problems I have stem from legitimate issues. There are going to be lost and damaged items in shipment, sheer oversights on my part (like the 100 page book that I sold that was missing 6 pages), and a few mistakes, from time to time, like my wife mixing up labels and sending the wrong packages to people.

I just don't get the methods that ebay has used to weed out the bad sellers. Bad sellers are out there, and their main goal is to simply deceive the buyer at all costs. Ebay continues to take out the good sellers more and more, all while trying to weed out the bad.

It simply makes no sense to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread