Can you dispute a return?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A woman bought a pair of earrings. She got them on the 24th, left positive feedback. I got a note tonight that she is returning them because they are "defective", claiming one of the posts is crooked.

Uh, wouldn't she have noticed it when she first got it and inspected it? I don't mind her returning it, but now I have to pay shipping back and the initial shipping to her, and it will affect my record.

Is there any way to dispute her reason for the return?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You would think she would just straighten the post a little. Maybe she is sending you back fake earnings...also why are you paying return shipping?

sent from a potato...

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
She claimed they were defective. Ebay said I had to pay return shipping, and return original shipping, which is why I was annoyed.

I offered her half the money back, which is basically what I would have gotten scrapping, and she closed the dispute. I was more worried that she wore them and ruined them, and then was trying to send them back. Oh well. Gotta figure out how to do multiple auctions.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
She claimed they were defective. Ebay said I had to pay return shipping, and return original shipping, which is why I was annoyed.

I offered her half the money back, which is basically what I would have gotten scrapping, and she closed the dispute. I was more worried that she wore them and ruined them, and then was trying to send them back. Oh well. Gotta figure out how to do multiple auctions.
That sucks for sure! I think she just wanted something for nothing...

sent from a potato...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question, yes you can dispute a return...

Misuse of the Return Policy includes​
  • Returning a different item
  • Not returning the item as it was sent to you
  • Returning an item that has been damaged after being delivered
  • Claiming an item is not as described in order to circumvent a seller's return policy
  • Not following the terms of the seller's return policy
  • A pattern of purchasing items and receiving excessive refunds
If a buyer is misusing the return policy for any of the reasons just stated, you can protect yourself by reporting the buyer. To report a buyer, click here (then bookmark the link) or if you are using managed returns click the "Dispute Return" button in the Return Center and eBay will investigate.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Is the "dispute a return" button a new option on ebay?

I sold a like-new pair of boots that the buyer wore, and almost destroyed, then returned and wanted a full refund. At that time, ebay said that my only option was to report a buyer.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the "dispute a return" button a new option on ebay?

I sold a like-new pair of boots that the buyer wore, and almost destroyed, then returned and wanted a full refund. At that time, ebay said that my only option was to report a buyer.
It was mentioned in the spring seller updates. I don't know if it existed before that. I haven't needed to use it yet. I think in order to get anything done by ebay, you have to first get past the initial customer service rep. that first answers the phone. You need a supervisor or at least an American.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread