Need help with international shipping charges

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell a number of things on eBay with free shipping, but only for U.S. buyers. When I get an international buyer the shipping fees computed by eBay are usually way too low.

I recently sold some bulky items that fit in a shoebox and weighed about 2 lbs 5 oz. I indicated in my listing that the weight was 2-3 lbs. I was paid $14 for shipping which ended up being over $27 for the cheapest option.

How can I avoid getting screwed in the future?

Thanks

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have international shipping checked when I list an item. Then, if I get an international buyer, they have to wait for my invoice. I use the usps.com calculator to get that amount.

I would like to check the box that says I offer international shipping, but when I did, I think I got what you have, where I have to calculate the weight ahead of time, etc. It looked complicated. And I don't trust ebay's shipping calculator in general.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about the Global Shipping Program thing? You might want to take a look at the Medium and Large flat rate priority boxes. I've found the shipping calculator to be pretty accurate as long as I give it good info.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I haven't used the Global Shipping Program. I also haven't used the shipping calculator (do I need to know the destination for that?), I just put in information about weight, size, type of package, etc.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I haven't used the Global Shipping Program. I also haven't used the shipping calculator (do I need to know the destination for that?), I just put in information about weight, size, type of package, etc.

That's what I am talking about, just the info you put in. It's always been accurate for me, certainly never off by that much.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I do the global shipping program. I've had international people write to me and ask if I would ship not using it. I've put it all on the scale, envelope, jewelry, wrappings, and then use the USPS site to figure it out. Then I give myself a little buffer. I had a bangle that was supposed to cost $6, so I told the buyer $10. They were thrilled; it was half of the GSP. It was pretty accurate.
Have you tried to the flat rate boxes? They are pretty good.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see many posts to the contrary but I've had many very happy global shipping customers. I just sent a back to the future skateboard to France. I think he paid close to $90 in global shipping fees. Yes I wish I could get a cut of that action but I doubt its worth it. I've had two customers back out of global shipping because of the fees but mostly because they were not comfortable with the delivery carrier.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Global Shipping Program. For me, it's the all around easiest way to ship globally and still be covered if something goes wrong.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ship internationally, and use calculated shipping. Always comes out correct, infact, many times I end up refunding excess shipping to buyer. In the USA, everything about 13 ounces goes up to the nearest pound. But first class international does not, it goes up by the ounce, maybe 4 ounces for countries other than Canada. If it is an expensive item, I just purchase insurance through auctiva.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will take a best educated guess by researching on USPS the costs and add either a handling fee or 10% more to the shipping to compensate for any additional costs. If you prepackage and weigh the items it should be very close if you research it well. In the past I would take a guess and not weigh and ended up losing money on shipping. Make sure to factor in the costs for insurance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread