Scratching my head over these MWR sales on ebay

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching a group of sales like this end this morning:

5 SEALED Half Dollar Bank Rolls 40 90 Silver Possible Lot 14 | eBay

I'll say up front that I don't think the seller's ads are dishonest - he or she seems to be selling regular MWRs that have not been tampered with, and the text of the ad makes clear that the buyer probably won't find silver. The seller sells these rolls in a variety of ways, but I was watching a group of sales of 5 rolls ($50 face) each. The seller listed them in auctions that started out way below face value, with free shipping. I am not surprised that they sold for over the $50 face value. Even though I wouldn't personally pay extra for rolls I could get for face value, I know lots of ebay buyers can't resist the lure of a mystery roll.

That said, I am having a hard time figuring out what the seller gets out of this:

- I assume the seller had to buy the rolls for face value from the bank
- The seller is not a big time seller (feedback of 132), so would pay ebay and paypal fees of 13-14% of the sale price
- The rolls are heavy, and the seller bears shipping costs. Not sure if seller can get away with spending less than the $5.25 paypal rate for a USPS small flat rate box.

The sale prices this morning ranged from $57 - $63 per 5 roll lot. Even at the high end, the profits seem minimal or non-existent. Am I missing anything?

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally not worth the effort IMO, if he's making a profit at all. But if you really like going to the bank and the post office and spreading halves all over the country maybe this makes sense.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching a group of sales like this end this morning:

5 SEALED Half Dollar Bank Rolls 40 90 Silver Possible Lot 14 | eBay

I'll say up front that I don't think the seller's ads are dishonest - he or she seems to be selling regular MWRs that have not been tampered with, and the text of the ad makes clear that the buyer probably won't find silver. The seller sells these rolls in a variety of ways, but I was watching a group of sales of 5 rolls ($50 face) each. The seller listed them in auctions that started out way below face value, with free shipping. I am not surprised that they sold for over the $50 face value. Even though I wouldn't personally pay extra for rolls I could get for face value, I know lots of ebay buyers can't resist the lure of a mystery roll.

That said, I am having a hard time figuring out what the seller gets out of this:

- I assume the seller had to buy the rolls for face value from the bank
- The seller is not a big time seller (feedback of 132), so would pay ebay and paypal fees of 13-14% of the sale price
- The rolls are heavy, and the seller bears shipping costs. Not sure if seller can get away with spending less than the $5.25 paypal rate for a USPS small flat rate box.

The sale prices this morning ranged from $57 - $63 per 5 roll lot. Even at the high end, the profits seem minimal or non-existent. Am I missing anything?

I didn't look at the sellers details but he's obviously fairly new to selling on ebay with the feedback you referenced. I'm guessing he's just testing the water to see if he can make some money selling the rolls.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I didn't look at the sellers details but he's obviously fairly new to selling on ebay with the feedback you referenced. I'm guessing he's just testing the water to see if he can make some money selling the rolls.

In addition, the seller builds their feedback rating. Perhaps, they have been on a record breaking skunk streak and they view this as an opportunity to ship their clad out of their district.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
The eBay calculator that I use came out to a $1.77 loss on the ad you posted and on another ad where he's selling a sealed box I came up with a $7.78 loss.

Maybe it's cheaper than using the coin machines in his area ???

In related eBay news, I have seen single rolls of "unsearched" MWR with double silver enders (sometimes Franklin or Walker) sell for $60+ each. If I was going to gamble, it'd be on something like that. As a matter of fact, I believe the seller is one of our own, though I'm not sure if that's a secret.

One 1 Unsearched Half Dollar Roll 90 Walker 40 Kennedy Double Silver Enders | eBay

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That guy has SEVERAL HUNDRED feedback for "unsearched silver ender" half dollar rolls. He must be the luckiest person alive to find that many bank rolls with silver enders.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I would be disciplined enough to not open a double ender roll, especially with a Walker. However, if someone looked at the probabilities unemotionally they would probably be better off in financial terms by auctioning off the roll.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I would be disciplined enough to not open a double ender roll, especially with a Walker. However, if someone looked at the probabilities unemotionally they would probably be better off in financial terms by auctioning off the roll.

I know some one that sold a roll with a walker Ender . The rest of the box produced a couple 64s. He auctioned off the walker Ender roll and it sold for 30 or so $. He gets a email from the person he sold it to saying "awesome roll found 3 more walkers and 2 64s " he was pissed but I told him the guy could be lying.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not worh my time. I do not beleive when it is too good to be real.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's too easy for the sellers to weigh the rolls and sell the solid clad rolls... I've bought these types of rolls before and quickly realized I had made a mistake

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep, weighing them is the way too go. giving up 1 or 2 silver now and then, is marketing. If a seller always sold skunk rolls, buyers will stop coming back for them. Thus bad for business.

zach attack

Jul 10, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I was selling rolls of bicentennial halves and solid date rolls for 15 dollars. Coin roll hunted mostly halves last year and wanted to see if I could make any money. Made around 2$ a roll. Not a huge profit, but it was easy, didn't have to drive them back to the bank and used the profit for some ebay coins.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure he was hoping for a higher selling price. Back when silver was higher, I'd routinely see 3 MWRs sell for over $50 and boxes go for over $650.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
The "ender" rolls are seeded just like the guys selling rolls of pennies that show an Indian on one end or similar. I can assure you they are not "unsearched". Someone here said in the past that they have the machine that roll crimps the tubes just like the bank wrapped rolls but I can't remember who it was.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread