dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wouldn't sell off eBay like that. Something is up. Why would that lady care if buys on eBay or not? You the seller pays the eBay fees, not her...

Sent from a empty soda can!

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm usually the seller trying to move the deal off of ebay, if I see an opportunity. The trick is getting email address because ebay blocks them.
As a buyer, I have proposed moving larger transactions off of ebay to save the seller money which in turn gets me a better 'cash' deal.
The money still goes through paypal, which is protection against fraud.
Because ebay is pretty bad about allowing buyers to rip off sellers, you can do no worse on your own.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
This. I had a buyer ask for my cell number. He texted me an offer where he would pay the amount of my BIN or Best Offer and minus the part of ebay fees. So I sold it it directly to him. I'm in the same situation now with an exercise bike. If I can get cheaper shipping($150 or less), he will pay me off of eBay and deal is done. The auction closed and so I don't have to relist the item.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm. Just hit me. Ebay didn't block her email address. That is weird.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been asked to sell off ebay, but have not done so. I don't know who I dealing with on ebay so I sure won't deal with anyone off ebay. Maybe if I have a working relationship with someone who buys from a lot, I would think different for just that one buyer.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work off of ebay a fair amount, especially with big purchases. If the seller has a lot of good feedback and is willing to talk to me on the phone and they seem legitimate, then to me it is no different then buying something from craigslist or an ad in the newspaper. I've never had a problem with it.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't sell off eBay like that. Something is up. Why would that lady care if buys on eBay or not? You the seller pays the eBay fees, not her...

Dieselram does have a point though, it is weird that she is asking you. Usually as a buyer I make a deal with a seller, and then let them decide if they want to move the sale off of ebay or not. Honestly when I buy big stuff through ebay its great, get a few dollars worth of ebay bucks. I'd say tread carefully with this one and see if you can figure out what her motivation is.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm. Just hit me. Ebay didn't block her email address. That is weird.
Ding, ding, ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Be wary of that, I would. Anytime I've sent an email address, I have to be cryptic about it. Like spelling it out a few letters at a time within the text between words, a letter here, a letter there "at" instead of @. They have bots that pick up on email addresses instantly.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I sent her a "test" email. I wrote and said, btw, you should be careful, because you can lose your buyer account as well. That's it. Now I know not to write to her after the auction closes. Thanks.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one who won an auction and emailed me saying his account is messed up can I send a invoice to his wife's account here is the email address thank you very much. I emailed him back and said now I can relist it and he can buy it with the other account if he wants to but I'm not doing that I said I can lose my accountant so can you it's not worth it to me over an eight dollar item, sorry.

I don't even know how he sent it to me because when I tried to send it back it would not let me because of the email address in there. it kept flagging it so I had to delete the email address he sent me in order to respond to his email even. A little screen pops up and says sending an email through eBay is not allowed your account can be suspended.

I can see this guy leaving negative feedback over it because I'm not sending him his watch.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just talk to eBay and they told me that if the customer requests it then that is okay. To sell it directly through PayPal if I requested then I can get suspended.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300

In my experience, people offer to buy off ebay or ask for a buy it now because they know the item will sell for a lot more than they can afford and they want to get it for a bargain price. Be especially wary if they offer you way more than you think it's worth--could be a sign that it will sell for a lot more than that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread