HELP! Very weird thing going on; I dont know what to do!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
HELP! Very weird thing going on; I don't know what to do!

I had a sterling silver lot up. There was a huge bidding war, and the item sold to a guy who just kept bidding.

eBay.com Item Bid History

See, he ended up winning, right? He paid almost right away. I didn't get a chance to print the label yet, because I am putting up more auctions. So I get this weird email from him ...

"I WOULD LIKE TO CANCEL PLEASE BID WRONG AMOUNT - classicron69"

Then I see I got another feedback tonight. Guess who? This guy left me positive feedback that I'm a great seller.

WHAT IS GOING ON????

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhhhh.... Confusion! I see what you mean. I'd be uncomfortable too....

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Something is so messed up. I've been on the phone with ebay since I posted here. I've been transferred around. I did cancel his order. I can't send a second chance offer to the second highest bidder, because he blocks second chance offers.
I sent a second chance offer to the third highest bidder. I blocked the highest bidder, and I am not sure if I should block the second one. Something smells really bad here. The first guy bid 19 times to get it up high. I don't know. Weird.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It's possible the 19 bids were generated by eBay if the guy put in a high amount as max bid & the 2nd highest guy kept raising their bid.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's possible the 19 bids were generated by eBay if the guy put in a high amount as max bid & the 2nd highest guy kept raising their bid.
It doesn't look like it, if you look at the automatic bids. Besides, if that was the case, then he shouldn't have put in such a high maximum bid, the way I see it. Sounds like buyer's remorse to me versus, "I put in the wrong amount". I don't think I would have been so quick to cancel if it were me. Number one- he paid and number two- he left positive feedback already.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
EBay told me he could refuse the package, and then file an item never received claim. He also said he would probably end up sending it back.
I blocked the guy. He can still see my auctions, he just can't bid. If he writes an explanation and apology, I may consider unblocking him.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could have been bidding on a couple of auctions at the same time and got confused as to what he was doing on each auction.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Could have been bidding on a couple of auctions at the same time and got confused as to what he was doing on each auction.

But he paid! That is what makes it so nuts. Is there any way to see what else he won last night? The second highest bidder has his account sent to not accept second offers. The third highest bidder graciously offered me $110 for it, because he feels the auction was being run up. Which is what I was scared was going to happen. It really looks like I had some shill bidding going on, when I don't even know this guy. :-(

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get an email or eBay message? If it was an email like you said, you should have ignored it and sent out your item insured.

Sounds like market value was around $100 and it got bid up way past that... would have gambled and, worst case scenario, fought a scammer for the item/money back. There is also a significant chance that the email was the result of some kind of glitch. Lots of ebayers have automated email messages set up.

Little more likely to be a scam/weirdo if it was sent thru eBay's messaging system. But since the message is patently nonsensical and the buyer already paid, I would have gambled and ignored that too.

Shady buyers - or stories about them - really have us trained to take the raw deal. I've been verifiably scammed out of maybe $200 in years of selling on eBay. All low-dollar items not worth fighting over. But I've made thousands off of shady-seeming buyers that many would have blocked.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting take on it. It came through the Ebay messaging system. I was too frustrated to PM him back nicely. I kept trying to figure out how to word it, and gave up. The third highest bidder is going to take it. I have another one up with over 400 grams. Now I am worried people will look at my history and think I have shill bidders.
Ebay said if I ignore the message, and send anyway, I could get screwed. They were like, he can refuse it, and then file a complaint he never got it. (Really???? How is that seller protection?) He could get it, and claim item not as described, and then I am really screwed. Which is why I got scared to send it to him.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I unblocked the guy. It just happened again. I do think maybe it was the automatic bids. If he ever does it again, then I will let him know he is history.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It doesn't look like it, if you look at the automatic bids. Besides, if that was the case, then he shouldn't have put in such a high maximum bid, the way I see it. Sounds like buyer's remorse to me versus, "I put in the wrong amount". I don't think I would have been so quick to cancel if it were me. Number one- he paid and number two- he left positive feedback already.

Automatic bid or not when someone shows buyers remorse & requests it I'll cancel the sale every time. They can pay, leave positive feedback AND return it for item not as described resulting in a defect. On top of that I'm out return postage. Not worth the hassle or risk.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EBay told me he could refuse the package, and then file an item never received claim. He also said he would probably end up sending it back.
I blocked the guy. He can still see my auctions, he just can't bid. If he writes an explanation and apology, I may consider unblocking him.
The new kinder and friendlier eBay kind of reminds me of Obamacare

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
^^ How do you like a comment from the phone?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread