Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Box inside another box. Good solid outside box that has some strength. I some times go the extra mile on packing some items to prevent shipping damage.

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking too. Surprisingly hard to find a sturdy box that isn't excessively large, though. Even harder to spend less than $10 on one. Might be time to check some dumpsters...

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really that much? Are you looking at boxes designed for hats or generic cardboard ones?
I would think you could get a stack of cardboard ones for $20 or so shipped. I get 7x7x7 ones for pretty cheap to sen dout more expensive or collectible hats. Too small for fedoras though. The few I have sold just went in re-used boxes I saved.

I just wrap it in tissue paper and put it in the box. Fill any free space with paper or air pockets.

Just this year I have sold 97 hats. Only maybe 20 went out in boxes and I think only one was a structured one like a fedora, so I don't have a lot of experience with them.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Automotive parts sometimes come in heavy boxes.
A light weight box could be used as a pattern if you are handy with a razor knife.
A heavy produce box could work for material.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As stated, double boxing would be the best! Since I ship most items I sell via Priority Mail, I just pick up the free boxes at the Post Office and when I need something much bigger, I build one out of 2 or 3 Priority Mail boxes or purchase shipping or storage boxes at Walmart. Also, filling and covering the hat with tissue paper will help protect it and help hold it's structure. However, you might want to make a ring out of cardboard to go around the crown and pinch that will rest against the top of the brim but also extends slightly above the crown to protect this extremely important part of the hat before placing it into the internal (1st) box.

Frank

Last edited:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing that I do when I ship mugs for the crown of the hat. A ring of cardboard inside the interior box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread