Insurance

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried to collect on insurance once.

It took months and months, reams of paperwork, a multitude of trips to the post office, come back when the postmaster has returned, rechecking the file, come back in another 30 days, we still want time to try to find it, fill out this other form...

Pretty worthless-

They finally found the package, returned it to me, with no payout, after I had reissued the item to the intended recipient 30 days after the original shipping date.

USPS- I never send anything important through them anymore.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, if a Buyer pays you $150 for an item, then the item should be insured for the full $150 not the $100 that the USPS offers free for Priority Mail! Yes, it may take awhile to get the Insurance money on a Claim filed with the USPS but if an item is stolen and it is only insured for the $100 free Insurance that the USPS offers, then that is what they pay out and you will be responsible for the other $50 back to the Buyer. I understand that there can be delays in processing and paying out on a Claim but the USPS usually comes through. I have had to file Claims on lost/stolen items and damaged items in the past and they always paid out on the Claims. They even paid me on an item once, then found it and returned it to me, so I had to reimburse them for the money they paid out on the Claim.

Frank

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when you could pass along insurance charges, I would self-insure. I'd take the premium and the bet the package will get there safely, and pay the buyer off if it doesn't. I never had to pay out. Insurance is a very profitable business. I bet a shipping company pays out 10% or 20% of what they collect in insurance premiums, half at the most.

But that was also before ebay created a culture of buyers looking to rip sellers off.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless something has changed USPS Priority mail is only insured up to $50 and yes if I want to insure it for more than that I have to pay for the full amount of insurance.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had to file an insurance claim since 1999.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mugisme- no you cannot just add $50 worth of insurance on top of the free $100 you already get.

I filed 2 insurance claims this year. Both USPS priority, both filed electronically, both checks were received within 10 days. No problems. First and only USPS claims I have filed in years.

flinthunter- All sellers who ship using any Priority Mail service automatically receive $50 worth of FREE insurance for their shipments. "Top Rated Sellers" and Platinum and Titanium PowerSellers who use eBay Labels for Priority Mail services receive $100 worth of FREE insurance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions