Ebay listing removed after item sold and shipped

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold a piece of medical equipment last Thursday at a bin auction for $200, the piece sold in the first 30 minutes it was up. I received payment and shipped the same day and the item is showing delivered and accepted as of Saturday. I received notification from ebay on Sunday of a policy violation and notice they had removed the item and would be removing all fees associated with the item. As of today the fees are still showing up in my account and the money is in my paypal account but the sold listing is gone. My question is has anyone else been through this and the results? Is it safe to remove the money from paypal? I am just worried they could issue the buyer a refund even though he has the equipment. The machine in question required a prescription to use. Thanks for any thoughts.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never been in that situation but if I were you, I'd try to transfer the money out of PayPal as soon as I could.

Remus

Greenie
Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a couple 'disputes' with eBay over the years. None were items removed after it was sold. Mine were items that should NOT be listed (Nazi) and CO2 revolver... but they were stopped as soon as listed. Yet others continue to sell Nazi items and co2 revolvers and other such items.
If the buyer received the item and there is no dispute in action today, I'd take the money out. If there is a dispute and the buyer wants his money back, you will have to work that out with him/her. eBay has already 'bailed' on you if there is not presently a dispute (My opinion.) Been with eBay for many, many years!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Pulling the money out of Paypal is only an option if you don't intend to sell on eBay in the future.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulling the money out of Paypal is only an option if you don't intend to sell on eBay in the future.

How so? :icon_scratch: When I sell things on eBay, I tend to transfer the money from PayPal to my bank account right away. That's never got me banned from selling on eBay.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
How so? :icon_scratch: When I sell things on eBay, I tend to transfer the money from PayPal to my bank account right away. That's never got me banned from selling on eBay.
Because Ebay could refund the buyer out of their own pocket & then hit your Paypal account every time you collect money from other sales until they recoup their money..

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely you have a credit card on file. If you pull the money and they want it back for some reason they will charge your credit card if there is not enough in your paypal account to cover.

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice As stated above..they have control over damn near all we do.. You would think a long as the customers satisfied ?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the clarification, I understand now. This is a sticky situation since eBay pulled the listing. Even if the buyer couldn't get anywhere complaining to eBay, I imagine they could still file a dispute with PayPal or their credit card company.

On a related note, now that eBay and PayPal separated, I wonder if this will complicate things for sellers in terms of buyers filing claims.

OP
OP
L

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the clarification, I understand now. This is a sticky situation since eBay pulled the listing. Even if the buyer couldn't get anywhere complaining to eBay, I imagine they could still file a dispute with PayPal or their credit card company.

On a related note, now that eBay and PayPal separated, I wonder if this will complicate things for sellers in terms of buyers filing claims.

I don't think I will have any issue from the buyer since the machine is in perfect condition and he got a really good deal. My concern was ebay initiating the refund, not the buyer. As of yet, all I have is the one email from ebay, the fee for selling the item is still showing up in my seller account and the money is still in my paypal account. The sold listing is the only thing they removed so far.

I sell quite a bit on eBay so there is always money in my Paypal account, so there is no way to take the money and run. I like others have had listings removed just never after they were sold and shipped. I was hoping someone had been through this before. Thanks for all the advice and opinions.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

Thought it would be obvious. Pulling money out of Paypal is possible.....but if they have to refund the buyer they are coming back on you. Until you return the money or they charge it to whatever credit card you have on account you can't do business through their site. Without a Paypal account your eBay business is almost useless.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ebay is just CYAing themselves from a legal perspective and now in all likelihood they want to forget about it (deleting the auction) and move on. For them to go in and open the refund process would just reinforce that fact they acted as a sales platform for the item. Plus it also involves the buyer and makes that person unhappy, too. No harm, no foul... nothing to see here, move along move along.... That is what's happening and they won't be coming after your money is my $0.02.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If eBay was going to do a refund it would have already happened. PayPal won't do anything unless the buyer gets nervous about having it if it could be deemed illegal. Don't worry about it, your OK.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
If eBay was going to do a refund it would have already happened. PayPal won't do anything unless the buyer gets nervous about having it if it could be deemed illegal. Don't worry about it, your OK.
What Ebay considers to be "illegal" and what the law says are 2 entirely different things. I once had an auction for a wood AK47 buttstock flagged and recieved a nasty warning from them for selling "assault weapon" parts. Meanwhile there was an ongoing auction from another seller for a shotgun barrel that was still attached to the receiver (highly illegal to sell through the mail).

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had this happen twice in the past couple years(a nice "Rolex" and also medical equipment). No worries. Both times, the buyer contacted me to see why the listing was removed and they could no longer see it. I explained to them the email I received from eBay. They were not worried once they received their item. They were provided tracking so that eased their minds. Also, since the items were removed, buyers would have no way of filing a complaint with eBay if they had not save a copy of the listing. Another thing...eBay refunded all fees associated with the medical equipment. They refunded all fees with the Rolex EXCEPT for the Final Value Fee (it was about $25 to them).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread