Horrible eBay offers

stonehenge

Aug 27, 2010
I sell a lot of mugs at $9-12 delivered Pmail or FC and often leave the best offer available.

This week, I received three offers ( $5, $9, $9.60) with FREE SHIPPING as well.

Why do people find it necessary to be pains in the a$$?

Do they expect the seller to be stupid or careless (maybe both) or do they just expect me to be charitable and send them a check as well!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some people look at eBay as an electronic "yard sale" where part of the game is to pay less.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lots of times I use best offer and kinda lowball if I'm not really interested in a particular item. It's the game of bargaining I love. But I wouldn't go so far as to offer something like half and free shipping. If I really want a particular item I usually just buy it...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
t's the game of bargaining I love. But I wouldn't go so far as to offer something like half and free shipping.

Hrmph! Today I finally lowered my John Hardy necklace from $450 to $400. I figured I would get like $300 for it, right? I get an offer for $200. Uh, no. It has free shipping. Basically they are asking for a 77 gram JH necklace for $170??? Nah, would rather wait and wait and wait.

I hate when people offer me exactly spot for my gold that says NOT SCRAP. I have a standard line I replay, thanks anyway, but I am not ready to scrap this just yet.

I guess you take the bad with the good, right? OR .. maybe, just maybe, they are not sellers at all, and don't even realize that free shipping means the seller has to pay for shipping, on top of their ebay and pp fees. Or maybe they are cheap. Who knows.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes 3 seconds to type a dollar amount in the box next to "automatically decline offers below $xxx"

It's business. I send out "low" offers somewhat frequently, I put quotation marks around low because when I see a coin that usually sells for $300 and the seller is asking $500 and the listing has been there since April, I have no problem sending an offer for $250. Probably get 1/10 low offers I send and a few more end up in purchases too at a slightly higher but still a good price.

Last edited:

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Some folks are just bottom feeders I guess. I had one the other day who made me a low ball offer, I ignored it; then they bought the item for full price. The thing is they left neutral feedback due to me ignoring their ridiculous first offer!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
It takes 3 seconds to type a dollar amount in the box next to "automatically decline offers below $xxx"

It's business. I send out "low" offers somewhat frequently, I put quotation marks around low because when I see a coin that usually sells for $300 and the seller is asking $500 and the listing has been there since April, I have no problem sending an offer for $250. Probably get 1/10 low offers I send and a few more end up in purchases too at a slightly higher but still a good price.
I put out low ball offers at times also sometimes it pays off and some times it does not...And i get low ball offers also it is just part of Ebay .. But i do not get upset about it i just turn it down ...

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Complain about what ...There is nothing to complain about ... That is the Ebay players game ...

He admitted to ignoring the offer the customer sent, customer gave a neutral feedback for the lack of communication. I don't think there is much of a chance of getting that removed.

We have all gotten low ball or down right insulting offers. I swear and ***** and complain for a minute, then reply with "no" or hit the "decline offer" button and move on with my day. Ignoring the customer is not the right thing to do and in this case resulted in neutral feedback.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
He admitted to ignoring the offer the customer sent, customer gave a neutral feedback for the lack of communication. I don't think there is much of a chance of getting that removed.

We have all gotten low ball or down right insulting offers. I swear and ***** and complain for a minute, then reply with "no" or hit the "decline offer" button and move on with my day. Ignoring the customer is not the right thing to do and in this case resulted in neutral feedback.
I just decline there offer and never had a bad feedback ... And i have been doing Ebay for 11 years...

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I just decline there offer and never had a bad feedback ... And i have been doing Ebay for 11 years...

So basically, they wanted to be coddled, and you didn't do that.
Imho, neutral isn't deserved. We are all entitled to our opinions.
Lowball offers get the same response when I decline...
Sorry, I'm not ready to scrap this right now.
Bwahaha

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never made a low ball offer but I sure get alot of them. As i see it, the box is there for them to make whatever offer they want and its up to me to decide if i want to take it or not. LOL yes the offers can be insulting at times and when that happens i remind myself that its just business when i hit the Decline button.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes sellers are just looking to dump inventory they got for free, and a buck is a buck. They probably still make more than selling at a garage sale.

Exactly.
I have a bigger problem with people wanting me to end my auctions early and sell them the item at the starting bid price. Although I did have some fool offer me $5 for something with free shipping recently, shipping alone is about $7 for that item. I did block that guy. I have been accepting many offers lately, 2 just today. Holding out for top dollar isn't on the top of my list of priorities at the moment. Getting rid of this overload is. Most of the offers I get are fairly reasonable. I've only accepted one offer that was 50% of my asking price, but it still sold for 20 times the amount I paid for it.

Last edited:
S

stefen

I am both a buyer and a seller on eBay, however my response is as a buyer.

First there are products listed numerous ways such as

(1) Listed price (buy it now)
(2) Auction
(3) Price + Make offer
(4) Price + Free shipping
(5) Or combinations thereof...

If I find what I'm looking for and it's overpriced, I make a reasonable offer (and match the shipping)

There are times when I find something that's acceptably priced but the shipping is off the charts comparatively. I will ask that the shipping be reduced to match others (equal vendors). Many times the vendor will agree.

I buy a lot of automotive parts, both new and used, and shop for the best deal. I have no qualms about making an offer.

Many times the vendor will either agree or counter-offer. If the counter is reasonable, then I buy now.

What I have experienced is that a great many of the asking prices are purposely high and an offer is acceptable if the vendor wants to move his inventory and still make a profit.

FYI...recently I made a reasonable offer and was ignored...eBay sent me a memo apologizing for the vendors lack of response. A simple no or a counter offer would have been acceptable.

Rant and rave all you want, but understand that you are a part of the eBay community, and as such you need to understand how it functions and follow the rules of engagement. Being considerate by responding with a simple no would suffice.

Being a mature business person will prove beneficial in the end.

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put out low ball offers at times also sometimes it pays off and some times it does not...And i get low ball offers also it is just part of Ebay .. But i do not get upset about it i just turn it down ...
I tried a "MAKE OFFER" on something I wanted. They had the button so I probably went down 25% expecting to negotiate. Nope he would not even go down 5 cents and i could not make him understand that he should not put MAKE OFFER if he wasn't willing to give a discount.

Funny thing, he had feedback in the thousands and not a newbie.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a "MAKE OFFER" on something I wanted. They had the button so I probably went down 25% expecting to negotiate. Nope he would not even go down 5 cents and i could not make him understand that he should not put MAKE OFFER if he wasn't willing to give a discount.

Funny thing, he had feedback in the thousands and not a newbie.
I noticed that when listing the make an offer button is often checked already on my end. I had someone make an offer on something that should not have had that option. I apologized to the person and told them as much. On the bright side, I got an offer last night for $165 on a $200 item, I took it.

S

stefen

Sometimes the market is so narrow on specialty items that accepting an offer of 10, 15 or 20% (or more) below the listed price is a no-brainer.

There may be only one buyer that needs your item, which should be understood before opening a listing.

The the question is: "Do I hold out for a 28 day listing period or sell at a reduced price at day 4?"

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the market is so narrow on specialty items that accepting an offer of 10, 15 or 20% (or more) below the listed price is a no-brainer.

There may be only one buyer that needs your item, which should be understood before opening a listing.

The the question is: "Do I hold out for a 28 day listing period or sell at a reduced price at day 4?"
Agreed. Personally speaking, sometimes your just "fishing" anyway when it comes to the price, depending on the item. Example last month when I took a $100 offer on one I had listed for double that. No comparables except a "similar" one that sold for $50 but it wasn't really listed correctly.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been selling on eBay for Years now. I think I do pretty good. Best year was 110K I average around 35K a year. I have an Idea.
We could list our eBay seller IDs and then as a group we could critique each others site to help make it a better site. Pros and Cons on how we do things with respect to each other.
Who knows maybe it will lead to more business for each other. Is their a category on this Forum where we could start this if people are interested? I will give my eBay name when I find out if this is ok with our Mods.
Toolman Butch

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread