Buy new and holding for sale

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only done this if the store was going out of business or after I went shopping on Black Friday at 7 AM. Sometimes I'll pick up clearance items at target really cheap. But I have so much inventory now I don't do a whole lot more of that.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way back when, I found a bunch of My Little Pony stuff at Big Lots. It was already a couple of years old, and deeply discounted. I've also got some Imaginext stuff that I've had for years. I didn't buy it, my wife did. She died and I've never gotten around to selling it.

For the most part, I don't want to buy stuff to hang on to. 5X your money sounds good, but I can do that with stuff I buy at thrift stores and garage sales. I don't have to store it for long either.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Hastings went out of business I bought a lot of Animie figurines. My son says yeah in 10 years I may double your money. D'oh

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you could sell BB guns on eBay, every year I would go to Walmart and buy 20 Daisy Red Rider BB guns for like 17.95 ea new in the box, then put them on eBay for $39.95 and sell every one. Fast quick profit. Remember every small town does not have a Walmart.

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a box (containing 24 sealed boxes) of Topps mars attacks cards, in 2012/13 for a great price.

I think it worked out to be about $20 aus a box at the time.

I recently sold a couple for $55 each on ebay.

Every now and then i will place a box on ebay, but i hope there will be another remake or resergance in years to come, and the price may skyrocket for factory sealed boxes. Another twenty odd years and they will be vintage :)

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife buys new items from an online retailer - won't say whom, but it's home decor- watching very carefully for historically popular styles and decorations, and items that are running low stock. She waits til they are sold out and them puts them on ebay. Does quite well. We have also bought limited run items at local retailers and sold them on ebay for 2x to 3x.

You have to know your stuff, what you're selling and if it's in demand. I one time bought several BB-8 droids from Star Wars, even Ebay said they were in demand. Then whole new round of supply came out and the bottom dropped out. I luckily returned mine and got my money back.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming from a manufacturing / operations background, to me inventory is evil. It ties up cash and space, it gets lost, it goes stale and out of date. If I can't flip it, I walk away. But I am the exception -- I stand in line at estate sales with dealers renting storage units to hold all their stuff.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
513200f4733f271354e7c8cf24e99d43_aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-mem.gif

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Coming from a manufacturing / operations background, to me inventory is evil. It ties up cash and space, it gets lost, it goes stale and out of date. If I can't flip it, I walk away. But I am the exception -- I stand in line at estate sales with dealers renting storage units to hold all their stuff.

I'm mostly the same way. I try to keep inventory levels as low as possible.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A coworker of mine will by stuff on clearance from a particular retailer and then flip it immediately. I don't have that kind of luck. That and you need the money to front the whole operation.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy a lot of items from Dollar Tree such as the garment bags ( gown size ) and also bed sheet keepers. Buy of a dollar and sell for five plus shipping . Sold 1700 last year of just these 2 items. I was buying the minion bandaids as well as several other items . The garment bags were selling 10 at a time for bridal parties.. I flip a lot from other retailers . I stockpile all the lego sets as they get marked down... always a good investment.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_joe

I'm mostly the same way. I try to keep inventory levels as low as possible.

It depends on how much cash you have available to you (cash makes no money). If you can make 50% to 1000% on the items you buy with cash you would be crazy not to stock pile. Better than any savings account, bonds, 401k's, retirement plans...etc.

Even if it took a year to sell.... where else can you get 50% or more on your money. The guys that stockpile understand this and have the cash.

Good luck...

Gary from Oregon

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It depends on how much cash you have available to you (cash makes no money). If you can make 50% to 1000% on the items you buy with cash you would be crazy not to stock pile. Better than any savings account, bonds, 401k's, retirement plans...etc.

Even if it took a year to sell.... where else can you get 50% or more on your money. The guys that stockpile understand this and have the cash.

Like a lot of people here I've been buying for resale for quite some time. It's been my experience that it's next to impossible to tell the new products that will increase in value from those that won't. The evidence for that statement is in every thrift store, hoarders house, estate sale, etc where the good items are buried in a sea of crap. I've got plenty of money available for guaranteed 50-1000% annual returns. I'd appreciate it if you could tell me exactly which products I should be buying.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It depends on how much cash you have available to you (cash makes no money). If you can make 50% to 1000% on the items you buy with cash you would be crazy not to stock pile. Better than any savings account, bonds, 401k's, retirement plans...etc.

Even if it took a year to sell.... where else can you get 50% or more on your money. The guys that stockpile understand this and have the cash."

I don't buy if I can only make 50%. You will go broke with a 50% margin before expenses. I look for 5 or 10x my money or I walk away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread