Your fastest sold item on E-Bay

mrlindeman

Feb 6, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife and I started selling on the bay here recently. Basically silver items and flintknapped pieces done by me. We also do some coins. On July 4th, yesterday I listed a .999 fine one ounce liberty eagle round to make a quick sale.

I listed the item for 14 bucks and labeled it as a 4th of July special price. I listed for buyer pays shipping. In total the item was just at spot or so. Once listed I posted the listing to Pinterest and Facebook for my family and friends to look into if they might want it. I realized that I wanted to reduce handling time to same day. I was ready to go. I went to the listing which at this point had been active for 5 minutes. I went to change my handling time. I made the changes, and when I tried to save, E-Bay popped up saying the listing could not be modified due to being closed. At first I thought I messed something up.

I refreshed and confirmed the item sold. Total listing time was 6 minutes 23 seconds. I was shocked to say the least. I am a new seller but have good feedback. So, what the quickest sale you have had that surprised you the most? :occasion14:

front 3.jpeg

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was a necklace in about 5 minutes.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold an ounce of meth in .5 seconds...:laughing7:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're selling that fast, you are likely selling too low. Have to find the perfect balance of $$$ and speed of sale.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a couple of things sell about that quick. Most recently a gamecube game. Paid $2 for it, sold for $35 in about 7-8 minutes.

Tammyh17

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2017
Western WI
Detector(s) used
Some beginner cheap thing from Fleet Farm :(
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to buy Hallmark ornaments and flip them, bought one for $1 listed it for 19.99 and sold within 5 minutes to a guy who has an ornament only ebay store, it was only 2 weeks before Christmas so i wanted it to sell fast so put it lower than i knew it was worth just to get the quick sale, figured we both probably made money on it!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a wheelchair ramp on a Friday. Took pictures on a Saturday. Listed it on a Sunday. Monday I got a $365 payment and shipped it that day. I paid $20 for it.

Seek Ye First

Sep 23, 2014
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You actually lost about $3.50 (or more)! Spot price is currently just over $16, and when you factor in eBay's cut of 10% ($1.40) and PayPal's fees, you took a bit of a loss. I always list my silver with at least a 10% increase over spot to cover "Fee-Bay's" charges. That way, if the item sells at just the opening bid, I don't lose any over what I could have sold to a local dealer for.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're selling that fast, you are likely selling too low. Have to find the perfect balance of $$$ and speed of sale.
I have had Many things over the years sell in less than a minute. My first thought is always "oops" What did I miss?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You actually lost about $3.50 (or more)! Spot price is currently just over $16, and when you factor in eBay's cut of 10% ($1.40) and PayPal's fees, you took a bit of a loss. I always list my silver with at least a 10% increase over spot to cover "Fee-Bay's" charges. That way, if the item sells at just the opening bid, I don't lose any over what I could have sold to a local dealer for.
Most local dealers buy at %25 percent back of spot and sell at 10 over in small quantities

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually posted a pair of 14K pearl drop earrings at $75 OBO and got a $60 offer within the first 15 minutes & accepted.

One a side note, there is a guy who sells mercs and GW silvers for $0.25 under spot on ebay with free shipping. I've sniped several of them, but when I asked about if he'd sell me numerous in one transaction, he stated that he was only selling at this low price to get a ton of positive feedback. Makes sense, but they'd have sold just as quickly at spot.. even more. But let me tell you, those coins of his are gone before I'm even able to click on them at the top of the page most of the time.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I actually posted a pair of 14K pearl drop earrings at $75 OBO and got a $60 offer within the first 15 minutes & accepted.

One a side note, there is a guy who sells mercs and GW silvers for $0.25 under spot on ebay with free shipping. I've sniped several of them, but when I asked about if he'd sell me numerous in one transaction, he stated that he was only selling at this low price to get a ton of positive feedback. Makes sense, but they'd have sold just as quickly at spot.. even more. But let me tell you, those coins of his are gone before I'm even able to click on them at the top of the page most of the time.

I would avoid this seller like the plague. Any seller that's trying to run up positive feedback probably has a motive for future offerings.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I bought a lot of unopened cross stitch kits for 50 cents each. Took pictures of all of them & made the first listing. They were all the same brand so I was hitting sell similar & changing the pictures/title. About the 3rd or 4th one I listed for $60.....before I finished sell similar on the next one it sold. I'd guess within 2 minutes of listing. Funny thing is it sold for about 20% more than the average sale price for that particular kit.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a lot of unopened cross stitch kits for 50 cents each. Took pictures of all of them & made the first listing. They were all the same brand so I was hitting sell similar & changing the pictures/title. About the 3rd or 4th one I listed for $60.....before I finished sell similar on the next one it sold. I'd guess within 2 minutes of listing. Funny thing is it sold for about 20% more than the average sale price for that particular kit.
oh Look, Another TRD I wonder what HIS TRD stands for? ??? :)

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
oh Look, Another TRD I wonder what HIS TRD stands for? ??? :)

Going by the join date I think you are "another" TRD. My screen name goes back to the days when I was a plumbing contractor. When said out loud it rhymes with bird herder.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I would avoid this seller like the plague. Any seller that's trying to run up positive feedback probably has a motive for future offerings.

Huh? When I started a new eBay account a couple years ago, I purposely sold stuff cheap and even explained in my listings that I was trying to build up my feedback quickly. I even bought a positive feedback and bought really cheap Chinese items for positive feedback also. In my case, the future offerings were just more good stuff, just not at 20% of value.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going by the join date I think you are "another" TRD. My screen name goes back to the days when I was a plumbing contractor. When said out loud it rhymes with bird herder.
HA! Better than Turd Hoarder! I get Turdking all the time. Wear it proudly. Cheers!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Picked up another lot of cross stitch kits from Goodwill on Thursday. Listed 10 of them yesterday afternoon and one of them sold as quick as the last time.

OP
OP
M

mrlindeman

Feb 6, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I failed to mention I listed this as a 4th of July special deal my wife and I wanted to do. The loss was expected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread